Complications... But still happy about my surgery.

Sherry S.
on 8/20/04 11:37 pm - Buna, TX
Hi everyone...I thought I would share my experience in case someone else is taking blood thinners the way I was. I had to have an emergency surgery 4 weeks ago due to a twisted and blocked bowel. This wasn't any fault of mine or my surgeon's it is just something that happened. Then last Monday I was rushed back to the ER and I had to have 5 pints of blood and 2 pints of plasma due to the fact that I am on 3 types of blood thinners (this is a big nono) and I got an ulcer that began to bleed big time. The aspirin I have been taking for my heart caused the ulcer, so no more aspirin for this Texas lady! The problem is fixed now and I am feeling great once again. I can't take any type of blood thinners for the next six weeks cause it will cause me to bleed once again and I for one prefer not to go through that again. Even with these problems I do NOT regret having this surgery one bit. It is still the best thing I have ever done for myself. Even with the complications I am still losing at a pretty fast rate. I had my surgery on June 8th of 2004 and as of August 16th of 2004 I have now lost an awesome 100 pounds!! Excited can't begin to describe the way I feel!!! for joy and I know this is just the beginning of great things for me. My best advice for anyone having this surgery is: Pay attention to what your body is telling ya and call your Doctor if you have anything unusual happen or anything you just are not sure about. I nearly bled to death because I didn't understand what my body was telling me and I waited until my body had to scream at me that it was in serious trouble. I had nausea that kept reoccurring and just would not stop. I found out it was due to the blood in my pouch. Please pay attention and don't hesitate to call your Doctor and ask questions and get help. Sherry
Yes Its Me
on 8/21/04 11:38 pm - Jacksonville, FL
Good Morning, Sherry Wow, complications are a drag. Glad mine went so smooth but I know even if I had run into any complications, no matter what, living the way I was before surgery would have been continuous hell. I 'm a slow loser but I'm ok with that now. Every pound I lose is making me healthier and stronger, I know that I now will live my life till I see my kids grow up and see grandkids one day. Life now is already so much better, and it's only been two months. My activity level is so high now, my husband and kids LOVE doing things with "mommy" now, I don't get tired of walking after 5 minutes any more, I don't sweat and get exhausted, actually I walk and walk and they all start whining about getting tired and I'm not the least bit fatigued. I had chosen to take this chance at surgery, even with the risks that came with it, and I'd do it again in a New York minute. Congrats on your WONDERFUL weightloss. 100 lbs !! I'm not even half way to that, but still, never have lost 37 lbs in two months before, and actually from total highest weight, I'm now down 66 lbs since March. I know five year old kids that weigh that much... I've already lost a whole little person!!! Good luck to you in the future, Andrea
MzH
on 8/22/04 3:16 am - LOSERLAND, MD
HOLY COW SHERRY! CONGRATULATIONS! Way to keep the complications in perspective. H
(deactivated member)
on 8/22/04 5:31 am - SC
Can you tell me more about the bowel problems. I am having pain in my waist today and wondered what the symptoms were for this.
Sherry S.
on 8/22/04 5:47 am - Buna, TX
I began to hurt in my abdomen and it continued to worsen. The pain seemed to move around a bit but never went very far. I would go from the center to the left side to lower abdomen. Then nausea set in and became unbarable. I began to vomit and just couldn't stop (lasted for 2 1/2 days). After a particurlary hard bout of dry heeves I began to vomit up blood. I headed to the ER and they found the twisted/blocked bowel and rushed me into emergency surgery. I will keep you in my prayers and I hope you don't have any complications.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Testing
jingward · 0 replies · 446 views
LYN!!! (fishbowl)
B.J. · 0 replies · 937 views
New year, new direction . . .
B.J. · 1 replies · 809 views