Vitamin Deficiency

JJ J.
on 8/17/04 3:17 am - Ipswich, MA
Has anyone's lab work come back showing any vitamin deficiencies? I go in for my first labs on Thursday, and I'm sure my blood will show a deficiency. It takes everything in me to get down the little bit of food that I eat... sometimes I just can't stomach a vitamin. I almost always take them, but there are a few days when I just can't. What is done for a vitamin deficiency? Do we get shots? Does anyone have a problem taking their vitamins? Has anyone been told they have a vitamin deficiency?
Shelly G.
on 8/17/04 7:01 am - IL
I actually go in for all of my bloodwork on 9/7/04. I am having the same problems as you are. I can hardly eat, I had my surgery on 6/25/04 and as of yet I haven't been able to tolerate any vitamins or protein supplements. Please keep me advised as to what you find out. I wish you much luck ; )
memaw23
on 8/17/04 7:30 am - Abbott, TX
I too can not tolerate the chewable vitamins. I can hardly tolerate food and it takes work to get the water in. The NP told me to try the vitamin spray and it is still awful. I hope I can start swallowing pills Friday. Maybe then I can get in the vitamins. I am not allowed to drink protien drinks, don't think I could do them anyway. I had surgery 06-25-04 also.
bubbleboo K.
on 8/17/04 12:23 pm - anywhere, OK
At my one month post op visit I was anemic and low on Vit D. My dr. put me on iron, vit D for 6 weeks, and b 12. He has said that I will take the b 12 forever and may be able to give the iron up in the future. I have been lucky, I feel great and have loads of energy. I will have my next blood work up done late Dec.
pammy624
on 8/18/04 12:38 am - staten island, NY
Vitamins suck!! They taste nasty and I cant wait to swallow them instead, that I can do no problem. I dont eat very much and im stuck at same weight too long for not eating a lot. Protein drinks suck! I cant find something that is good enough to drink every day, someone said to put the powder in s/f tang or sunrise crystal light, they suck! So so far this whole thing sucks, my bloodwork is 9-24 at 3 mths, we will find out then... Good Luck Pammy 370/317stuck
JJ J.
on 8/18/04 9:51 pm - Ipswich, MA
Well, at least it's good to know that I'm not alone I hope everyone starts to have a better time with their vitamins. I'll let you guys know how everything goes. Thanks guys!
mary_kay
on 8/18/04 11:38 pm - lee's summit, MO
I had problems at first with vitamins and a fellow wls patient suggested that I do what she does. Get a pill crusher (walmart about 5 bucks) and crush the flinstone chewables into powder. Swallow with some water. I also found some chewable calcium citrate at bariatricadvantage.com. The mint flavor is good and keeps your breath nice and fresh. If you aren't eating well, try try try these methods to at least get your vitamins in.
(deactivated member)
on 8/19/04 2:09 am - Middleboro, MA
Hi Jj, I just went for my 3 mos. post-op lab. work and I have a deficiency of Potassium and Magnesium.. The Dr. ordered some pills for me. I take (2) Flintstones vitamins daily, anyway.. One in the AM and one in the PM. Then at night I take the Pot. and the Mag. pills with my nitely pills. I also take sublingual (under the tongue) B vitamins.. It doesn't taste bad at all.. I take that 3 times a week. I was told it is common to have to have your vitamins re-adjusted from time to time.. I was also told we have to take these vitamins for the rest of our lives, so it's important to get our lab. work from time to time, also.. I hope this has been a help to you.. Joanne
Most Active
Recent Topics
Testing
jingward · 0 replies · 446 views
LYN!!! (fishbowl)
B.J. · 0 replies · 937 views
New year, new direction . . .
B.J. · 1 replies · 809 views