HELP! Nausea and pills (xpost)

(deactivated member)
on 7/21/04 6:45 am
I'm not that far out, surgery was on 6/18/04. My doctor advanced me two weeks ago to the low-fiber diet (proteins, cooked vegetables, fruits without skins or seeds, etc.) as well as the horse-pill sized prenatal vitamins. I wasn't having much trouble with the soft foods diet (cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, etc.) before this, but I think a combination of the food change plus the vitamins is proving very difficult. I'm finding that I'm feeling slightly nauseated (uck) much of the time, particularly in the morning when I need to take the vitamins plus other medications. Just the vitamin alone gives me the queasy-and-I-have-to-lie-down feeling (I've tried cutting it up, but the taste was AWFUL). I end up taking a very long, long time to get out of the house (what with trying to get some vitamins in, some protein, some water), and I can't go back to work like this, as things only settle down around 1-2 pm. Lunch also seems to be the prime time for a little upchucking as well, even when I've eaten something that has gone down fine in the past. Some meals go okay, some not; it seems like a crapshoot, really. ("Are you feeling lucky today?") Most days I've gotten in my recommended portion of protein and am doing okay (but not great) on the water, but yesterday I lost both lunch and dinner, so I guess they don't count. Any suggestions? What order do you take things in the morning, when it seems that you need pills, food, and water all at once? Do you have suggested timing? I'm getting pretty frustrated and am tired of feeling so ucky.
JJ J.
on 7/21/04 11:20 pm - Ipswich, MA
Hiya Eloise! What you are going through is not uncommon. I could not even think about taking all of my vitamins at one time - my pouch would get very upset with me. I take two Centrum chewables (orange flavor) in the morning, and two Viactiv (orange flavor) in the evening. Your body doesn't need all the vitamins at once - and it's not good to take all of your vitamins at once. Calcium and Iron fight for absorption, so if you take all your vitamins at the same time, some of the Iron or Calcium will be lost. It's important to get in all of your vitamins every day - but take your time. Your body and your pouch will thank you for it.
Susan "Losin"
on 7/22/04 6:27 am - Parkersburg, WV
Eloise!! Don't take IRON in the morning!! It will make you sick...guess you found that out huh?? When I was pregnant and I was taking my prenatals in the AM I'd get morning sickeness...when I started taking them in the afternoon, the sickness was gone. Also if you take Iron with a vitamin C you will absorb it better. So you might eat some fruit when you take it, if you are having trouble absorbing it. I eat first...then after 45 minutes, I drink and take my meds. that way I don't feel queasy. I am doing Flintstone chewables so I don't feel the iron in the morning. Good luck!! Susan
(deactivated member)
on 7/23/04 1:31 am
Thanks for the tip. I didn't know that iron wasn't for morning consumption. I'll be trying your suggestions to see if things get better.
Cherae K.
on 7/22/04 12:07 pm - Spokane, WA
I'm with you. I have been chucking or queezy since I left the hospital. Anything is setting me off including smells. I decided that the doctor should know about it so on my 6 week visit, he prescribed Regelin (sp). It helps move the food through me and so far has fixed the nausea. You might want to mention it to your doctor. As for vitamins, I'm now on Optisource. It is specially made for us and our needs. http://www.walgreens.com/store/productlist.jhtml?navAction=pop&navCount=1&CATID=301120&ban=banr150_nov_gen_products2a_2003 Here is the website. They taste good and have also reduced the amount of sick I have been having. Best of luck and I hope this helps.
(deactivated member)
on 7/26/04 10:37 am
It's a few days later. I'm now taking the vitamin pill (the one with the iron) after dinner instead of in the am. That's helping somewhat. But I still am having problems with nausea, especially in the morning and mid-day. I'm starting to suspect tha the first solid food I eat during the day is what causes it--no matter what it is. I've backed off of solid food a bit too, just to give myself a rest.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Testing
jingward · 0 replies · 446 views
LYN!!! (fishbowl)
B.J. · 0 replies · 937 views
New year, new direction . . .
B.J. · 1 replies · 809 views