Can you drink soda

Jill W.
on 7/18/04 3:55 am - Manchester, CT
Hi everybody I am 1 month post op and i am craving soda. I am not sure if I can have it or not of course it would be diet soda. I am having a hard time drink i have something that developed in my lower intestine and it makes it hard to drink or eat in the first place so I want soda and i am not sure if i can have it Please help
B.J.
on 7/18/04 4:41 am - Rehoboth Beach, DE
I asked my surgeon this same question -- he emphatically said "NO!" as the carbonation might stretch your pouch as well as cause uncomfortable gas. I have seen older post-ops on the main message boards say it's okay to drink soda, though. Sodas and junk food contributed hugely to my weight problem, so I am following his advice and swearing them off for good. I hope you are able to find something you can stomach? Have you tried the Crystal Light flavors? -BJ 300/275.5/150
LIBRA2
on 7/18/04 4:49 am - Centerville, IN
My surgeon, nutritionist, et al also gave a resounding no to any carbonated drinks (and no straws either) for at least 6 months and even then to let it go flat before drinking. I had extreme pain, nausea, vomiting, etc and couldn't eat or drink much for a week when someone else e-mailed that their doc said excess stomach acid could do that. Had over the counter Prilosec and am now pain free other than some twinges taking my pills. Ask your doc as there may well be something that can make your life better!! I can drink V8 Splash Diet, regular V8 juice, Crystal Light, and hot tea and coffee (decaf, of course) when I have trouble with plain water. Hope you feel much, much better soon. If you don't, contact your surgeon's office. Diana
krystaleyes_1999
on 7/18/04 6:07 am - Ft Leavenworth, KS
I put it in a blender ( diet coke) with ice and make it into like a slushy. that wahy there is no carbantion. i have done this a couple of time and no gas.
MzH
on 7/19/04 10:49 am - LOSERLAND, MD
Hi, My nutritionist told me that I could drink FLAT diet soda. She said open it and leave it in the fridge overnight. I tried it, hated it and it cured my taste for soda. H
Connie B.
on 7/19/04 11:04 am - Mineral Wells, TX
Hi...this is my first reply to anything and I'll probably get ripped BUT... I am a die hard diet coke junkie!!!! I had Lap RNY on 6-4-04...have lost 37lbs as of today...and have had at least 16OZ's of diet coke a day since 3 weeks post-op with no problems!!!! Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!
Kori
on 7/20/04 2:51 am - Westminster, CO
I was also told no soda as carbonation stretches your pouch, and with all the pain and complications from surgery, I didn't go thru it for nothin, just to have a large stomache again.... have you tried Crystal light, I find it settles my sweet tooth, sunrise orange is the best.. Good luck beating the craving.. You will do fine.. Korianne 305/260/150 - 50 lbs woo hoo
Melissa S
on 7/20/04 7:16 am - Cool Ridge, WV
My Dr. says....
Smile
on 7/28/04 2:56 am - Buffalo, MN
I think a lot of Dr.s have a different oppinion. I would ask your Doc. LeAnn
Kim P.
on 7/28/04 6:19 am - Hooksett, NH
I was told no soda until my staples were out. I had my surgery June 29th 2004 and have lost 32 pounds so far. I drink 1-2 16 oz of diet coke a day and have had no issues.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Testing
jingward · 0 replies · 446 views
LYN!!! (fishbowl)
B.J. · 0 replies · 937 views
New year, new direction . . .
B.J. · 1 replies · 809 views