Question from a Pre-Op

IrishIze
on 7/17/04 2:01 am - NJ
Hello June bugs, and congratulations on your surgeries!! I hope you are all doing well! My surgery is on Monday morning, and I'm wondering how you did with sleeping and finding a comfortable position the first weeks after surgery. I have heard that people need to sleep in recliners, on sofas, etc. I really want to be able to sleep in my bed... Thanks, and please keep me in your thoughts and prayers on Monday!! Hugs, Nancy
sharons_ma
on 7/17/04 2:38 am - Boston, MA
Hi Nancy. The day I came home from the hospital I slept in my own bed. The physical therapist at the hospital taught me strategies for getting in and out of bed. They really work. Initially there was a little discomfort, but it went away within seconds of laying down. Now, I'm a side & stomach sleeper. There was no way that was going to happen. I added a few pillows so that I could sleep comfortably on my back. For the first two nights I kept the phone, a bottle of water and my pain medication by the side of the bed. The phone for emergencies (I live alone), the water in case I got thirsty in the night and the pain medication to take 1/2 hour before I attempted to get out of bed. On reflection, I probably really didn't need the last one, but it seemed like a wise decision. I didn't want to get stuck in bed because I was experiencing too much pain. Bottom line, it's really about how you feel. If your desire to sleep in your own bed overcomes the initial discomfort, you'll be in bed. Sleep well! - Sharon
mm3125
on 7/17/04 3:08 am - McCammon, Id
I had surgery (open) on 6/30. I slept in my bed until about day 10 when lying down seemed to cause reflux. Then I slept in the recliner for a few days. I had to stay on my back, but now the side is ok. Do what is most comfortable for you. May God guide your surgeon's hand! Marian
vnoyes
on 7/17/04 4:14 pm - Sacramento, CA
Hi Nancy, I will be thinking of you on Monday (my first day back to work) please post when you feel up to it. I slept in my bed from my first night home and so will you. Take it easy and practice getting into and out of bed before surgery. Don't forget chapstick for the hospital, it's all you need, they give you everything else including a lovely gown and sock slippers! Hugs, Vickie
Susan "Losin"
on 7/18/04 3:12 pm - Parkersburg, WV
I am a side sleeper. I was too uncomfortable to sleep like that until a week after surgery. I found that sleeping on my back wasn't too bad especially if I took some pain med before going to bed. I weaned off the meds by the 5th night. I guess I was so exhausted that it wasn't hard to sleep then. Now, I find that I wake up in the middle of the night and feel the urge to drink something. Last night I was up at 1 am and drank 18 ounces of water until I started to feel sleepy again. Susan
Ruthel E.
on 7/19/04 3:51 pm - Southgate, MI
I slept on my port side three nights after surgery and on my stomach a week after. I always slept in my bed! Ruthel Lap 6-3-04
aechols0516
on 7/22/04 1:12 pm - Lawrenceville, GA
Most Active
Recent Topics
Testing
jingward · 0 replies · 446 views
LYN!!! (fishbowl)
B.J. · 0 replies · 937 views
New year, new direction . . .
B.J. · 1 replies · 809 views