Do you ever panic about your weight loss?

CVanscyoc
on 7/16/04 2:37 pm - Sarahsville, OH
Do any of you feel a little bit of panic about the weightloss surgery not working??? I had my surgery on June 18th and this past week I have felt this sheer panic that I am gonna quit losing and begin gaining. Somedays its harder for me to get my walking in and I feel like its gonna cause an overnight gain of weight. I am sure its head games, but it feels very real. Also what do you do about your bad breath???? I teach school and am worried about working with my students next month.... I teach junior high students and the breath problem won't work with them any suggestions?
(deactivated member)
on 7/17/04 1:23 am - SC
Most definately. I just feel like I am always doomed to be fat. I cannot even imagine losing the weight. I looked at a picture today of when I weighed about 190 and thought to myself, who is that person?? In my head 1+1=2, so eating only about 10% of what I used to must mean I will lose 90% of what I used to be filling myself up with. I have lost 30 lbs, but really don't feel it. I put on 40 pre-op eating my way through the waiting period. I suppose this is normal. I too have had a bit of a hard time walking because I have zero energy, but I try to push myself anyway. I have the exact same fears. It's actually worse than the diets I have been on before. I would always start out enthusiastic and burn out later. The difference with this (whi*****reases my fear as well) is I know this is permanent. I don't want to become one of those stories that "beat" the surgery. I just have to keep reminding myself that everyone who did this was in the same boat as myself and ate alot. Statistics say we will lose the weight, so I guess we will just have to wait and watch. Try not to think about it and get a picture of where you would like to be. Set little goals. My goal I am working on now is to get to 275 so I can go on my Mom's treadmill in the AC! 35 more lbs to go! Not to mention I will actually be smaller than my sister for the first time in my life! She is dieting like crazy to try to keep up! Good luck! Marsha
vnoyes
on 7/17/04 4:27 pm - Sacramento, CA
Hi Cindy, I too feel that I will be one of those whose surgery will not "take" It is hard for me to fathom that these pounds are coming off because I feel like I'm eating satisfying amounts, which is small compared to pre-op. I also can't bring myself to try on smaller sized clothes because I just "know" they won't fit, but they do! I am losing very slowly, but it is how I gained as well. All the best to you! -Vickie in Ca
janet W.
on 7/18/04 2:07 am - grimesland, NC
TO CINDY, I HAD MINE ON JUNE 4,2004 AND I FILL THE SAME WAY AT TIMES. BUT NOW I HAVE A NEW OUT LOOK ON THIS. I HAVE A FRIEND IN OHIO THAT CAME DOWN FOR A WEEK AND SHE LOOKS GOOD . SHE HAD THE SAME ONE IN DEC OF 2003 AND SHE HAS LOST 120LB AND WE TALKED AND IT HELPS. FIND SOMEONE IN YOUR AREA AND TALK WITH THEM ONE ON ONE AND IT WILL MAKE A DIFF. GOD KNOWS IT HELPED ME SO MUCH.I WAS 286 WHEN I HAD MINE NOW I AM DOWN TO 255 AFTER 6WKS .KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK AND THE WEIGHT WILL COME OFF..
dcox94
on 7/18/04 2:11 pm - North Wilmington, DE
Its been hard and I am only 4 weeks out. I panic about the loss all the time. I know I did not put the weight on overnight why do I think the weight should come off that way? I try to get my walk in every day. I have only been doing 1/2 hour of walking but I hope to improve that next week. I want to set goals but I am afraid I will set unattainable ones. Then I will feel miserable. I have been at a plateau for a week. I think that brings on the feelings more. I try to ignore it but sometimes its really hard. I am glad I am not alone with these feelings. I hope it improves over time. Thanks for posting! Debbie
B.J.
on 7/18/04 11:50 pm - Rehoboth Beach, DE
Hi all, Every so often I get that nagging little voice in my head . . . you know, the one that tells me I'm gonna fail at WLS just like I've failed at every other attempt to lose weight. I just try to block it out. After all, the scales are proving differently, right? It's hard to change old habits and old ways of thinking, isn't it? The triggers that used to send me to the refrigerator are still here. I just have to figure out new ways to cope. I'm starting to set teeny goals for myself as a way to get out of the "stinkin' thinkin' " . . . for instance, once I hit 250 I'm splurging on a new hairdo, coloring, the works!! I can't wait!! -BJ 300/275.5/150
Yes Its Me
on 7/19/04 4:07 am - Jacksonville, FL
Hi Cindy! As I stepped off my scale this morning, I had the very same feeling you're having. I'm almost four weeks out and I've hit a plateau already. I read all those wonderful stories of people losing fourty or more pounds in the first four weeks, here I am, lost 5 lbs the first week, 11 the second, only 2 the third and now my scale seems to stand still. Yes, I walk, yes, I get my fluids in, and I am definitely not eating enough to substantiate this stand-still. I know that I'm freaking out over nothing, and that eventually this tool will get me to where I want it. I tried on clothes today, and found that I have a full closet full now of stuff I haven't worn in two years, that fit me again! And not just a squeeze-in kind of fit, but comfortable. I walk a lot and I hop on the exercise machine for a few minutes here and there, during the day, maybe that means I'm already building up muscle and that's why the loss has slowed down over the last few weeks. Let's not get discouraged, I'm not letting it get to me yet, and my doctor said last week, my weight loss is just fine, nothing to worry about. So I hope this made you feel a little better, there are many of us out there, going through the same thing, but that's why we are here, to support each other, right? Keep posting and keep your faith!! Andrea
tcarol
on 7/20/04 6:39 am - Half Moon Bay, CA
Hi Cindy, Yes, I too feel the same way. I feel like this isn't going to work for me either. Sounds like we are in good company because many of us are feeling the same way. I am no longer weighing myself everyday because it was driving me bonkers, I now only weigh once a week. This week I didn't lose any weight which was frustrating. I am doing everything I am suppose to, exercising, drinking liquids etc. I'm sure it's just that I need to be patient. Thanks for your post Cindy! Terri
Cherae K.
on 7/22/04 12:34 pm - Spokane, WA
Yes, I am also a diet failure and panic that this is no different. So I have been playing head games back to myself. Sounds kinda weird, but I just keep telling myself "Enjoy your journey, it'll happen!" Also, I have aweful breath too. I guess it's normal. So I have been sucking on Tic Tacs. 1 little calorie and it's small enough if you accidently swallow it, it won't need surgery to remove it. EECCCKKK!!! Enjoy your journey, it'll happen!
memaw23
on 7/24/04 2:26 am - Abbott, TX
Well I'm glad to know I'm normal for this stage. I have been having a terrible time with the fear of failure. I wonder why I did this at times and I'm affraid to get on the scales, I don't think I could handle it if the weight goes up ANY. I have been looking into a support group, it's suppose to help. I will try it the next meeting. I have trouble with the walking because I still get very short of breath, but have been doing some swimming this week (has been years). I go for check-up on the 30th. So I guess we keep hanging in there and Praying. And drinking the water,water,water.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Testing
jingward · 0 replies · 446 views
LYN!!! (fishbowl)
B.J. · 0 replies · 937 views
New year, new direction . . .
B.J. · 1 replies · 809 views