How soon did you return to work?

Nita A.
on 7/15/04 1:04 am - Fayetteville, NC
Greetings June Bugs! I am a July baby myself and I am looking foward to being a "loser I am curious though how soon did you return babck to work? I am a teacher with a very understanding boss and I am meeting with Human Resource next week to get all the paper work in and just wanted to see what you guys did! Thank you to all that post a response!!
Kori
on 7/15/04 3:43 am - Westminster, CO
I had my surgery Wednesday 06/30/04 and I returned to work 07/08/04. 1 week and 1 day later. My surgeon says, 3-6 weeks is best . I couldn't afford it. I am tired and sore, but I get thru the day. Good luck to ya.. Korianne 305/260/150 - 45 lbs woo hoo. Korianne
Mama Bear
on 7/15/04 7:41 am - Dallas Area, TX
I'm 4 weeks post op open RNY, and scheduled to be off work for 6weeks. RK
AngieM
on 7/15/04 7:52 am - Somewhere in, Pa
This is a really hard question, because it varies Sooo much with each person. Some folks just heal faster then others. I am self employed, and planned to be off only two weeks. There is no way that I could have worked a full day at two weeks out! I could do 20 mins at a time, tops. Now, at 6 weeks out, I can go a whole day. At four weeks, I probably could have, but it would have been a stretch for me, and I am sure I would have paid for it in the evenings. Most surgeons I have seen reccomend 4-6 weeks. Best wishes!! Ang
(deactivated member)
on 7/15/04 11:03 am - SC
I always say, prepare for the worst and hope for the best. I was fortunate to have LAP RNY and was back to work 8 days post-op. However, I do work for myself and called my own shots. I have 3 clients and work 4 days a week. Right now, I bottom out at 3pm. Just shuts off like a switch. 5 hours in the max for me. But, all my clients are pretty laid back and not a great deal of stress involved. I did not think I would be able to get back that soon, but that was my goal. Praise the Lord, it all fell into place. I definately could not be out of work. My suggestion is plan for 6 weeks in case you have some problems (praying you won't). That way there is no stress. But, if you feel like it sooner, that would be great. I am 2 weeks 2 days and almost all healed up on the outside except for one stitch that pulled apart a bit. Kind of like the drain tube site. But, I am still very tired. I suggest looking into B12 options pre-op. I have order some sublingual B12. Heard it is good. Good luck!
dcox94
on 7/15/04 12:47 pm - North Wilmington, DE
I will be out for six weeks. I feel a lot better now and probably could go back in another week. But I am not pushing it. I do have short term disability which makes staying out the full six weeks easier. We are all so different. I wish I felt like going to work after one week. My boss would have been extremely happy.
mssgrnspc1972
on 7/15/04 6:26 pm - Killeen, TX
I feel pretty good right now but I am off for 6 weeks. Good Luck Tasha
Nancy M.
on 7/15/04 10:08 pm - Mt. Jackson, VA
I will be out for 6 weeks. I have sick leave so I'm being paid my full salary while I'm off. I had originally scheduled 4 weeks off, but had a couple of complications which made it neccessary for more time at home. My supervisor said I had to get a letter from my doctor before he would approve the extra time off. I faxed the letter to him yesterday so I'm covered.
Jer B.
on 7/15/04 11:39 pm - Blaine, MO
I had my 2nd open rny on 06/03/04 - I went back to work on day 39...my 1st procedure I was off for 55 days due to some complications with my incision. I just depends on how the surgery goes really. Jerry 355/305/200 -50
Patti Ann H.
on 7/16/04 8:38 am - Charleston, SC
I thought that I was a tough cookie, I had planned on going back after just a week. Thankfully my Boss is smarter than I am. I had lap RNY with no complications on June 30, 2004. I tried to go back to work Monday July 12, took me two hours to get ready and all my energy was spent after getting into the car and adjusting the seat. I have taken this entire week off as well and will try again on Monday. I will probably start with just half days. I have been extrememly lucky, little or no surgery pain. My discomfort is coming from the inability to take anti-inflammatory medicine for RA. Good luck and we'll see ya on the other side.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Testing
jingward · 0 replies · 446 views
LYN!!! (fishbowl)
B.J. · 0 replies · 937 views
New year, new direction . . .
B.J. · 1 replies · 809 views