6 weeks post-op and feeling better

Dhodges
on 7/13/04 2:54 pm - Bakersfield, CA
Hi, My name is Debbie and I am 6 weeks post-op. I have lost 28lbs. Only in the last week have I felt like doing anything. I go back to work tomorrow and we'll see how that goes. I have not been able to get the protein shakes down, they make me sick. Now I can eat more foods, so I will try to eat mostly protein. I love SF popciles, Taco Bell refried beans and KFC mashed potatoes. I haven't lost any weight in 3 weeks and am getting a little depressed. Maybe I'll try to get in more water???? I still can only eat about 2 ozs. If anyone has suggestions about the protein, please let me know. Thanks! Deb
Patrice
on 7/14/04 3:36 am - Idleyld, OR
I am glad you are feeling better. I am a little over 2 weeks out and @ 10 days had lost 18lbs but I am having the same problem with protien. I have tried several and I cannot even stand the smell of most of them. I have a few more weeks before I can eat normal meals, so I am worried about getting the protien I need now! I am also having trouble getting down the liquids I should be. My husband is getting so worried that it has caused problems between us. He feels that I "choose" not to take the protien or drink the liquids. I can't seem to convince him that my choice would be to do everything exactly by my Dr's orders. Is anyone else having these problems? Patrice
Shrinking V.
on 7/14/04 4:54 am - salt lake city, Ut
Hi Deb, 4 weeks PO and still feeling weak, Don't care about much. About the weight-loss, I've only lost 23 lbs. and seem to be losing slower than I'd hoped, I'm curious to know if it's because we're light-weights. (You especially) maybe in comparison with those who have more to lose and therefore drop 50 lbs. by their two week check-up. Just think, once you lose your 100 lbs, You'll be at goal, not looking at another 100 to go. I don't know what to tell you about the protien, If you keep the beans and mashed potatoes down, great, I do good on the protien drinks, I'm just sick of them. Some days I want to throw my vitamins and protien drinks out the window, but I don't. I think once we get further along and feel a little better, it won't be so difficult to keep up the regimine. Best to you Hon~~Violet
MzH
on 7/14/04 8:49 am - LOSERLAND, MD
Hey Guys, I too am another lightweight and when I read this I felt like I was reliving the last month. They nicknamed me "the princess and the protein" All of the ones I loved preop made me ! I felt so awful and spent a lot of time ordering samples and tried them all. So far, I ended up going back to the original one that I liked preop. Unjury is it at unjury.com. It is not thick, you can drink it with skim milk. Even if you are lactose intolerant like me, just take two lactaid pills with your first drink. It is thin, comes in vanilla, chocolate and unflavored. The unflavored is undetectable in SF tang, broth, jello, or any other drinks. They also have great recipes. I kid you not. After hundreds of dollars in samples, I've got my unjury, and am happy again. No, I don't sell it either. LOL! Good Luck and you will get your protein in. I stopped losing after the first two weeks until I got the protein and water straightened out too. At my check up yesterday, Dr. C told me that he would have been happy with a 10 pound weight loss at my starting weight of 208. I was shocked but you all are right about the lightweights losing slowly. My girlfriend had surgery two weeks after me and called to say she was 33 pounds down after two weeks! Needless to say, I was shocked! But then again, she has a lot more to lose than we do. Once again, take it from the "princess and the protein", you will get that protein straightened out. You can get unjury samples at unjury.com Hang in there! H
B.J.
on 7/14/04 10:40 pm - Rehoboth Beach, DE
The ISOPURE protein drinks that are found at GNC stores are very good protein drinks -- more like juices than thick shakes. I tried the citrus flavor (orange) recently and liked it way better than any of those other chocolately thick shakes that just give me the willies at this point. -BJ
bubbleboo K.
on 7/14/04 10:29 am - anywhere, OK
I am 4 weeks out and have lost 21. I am lucky in that I am able to get most of my protein in with the foods I eat. I have Carbwell cereal for breakfast at 11 g of protein, it is pretty good. I generally have 1 protein shake a day, Carb Solution at 21 g. Cottage cheese it high in protein as is turkey. Do you eat soups? Some of the soups have a high protein content like split pea. It's a llittle high in carbs, but I think that is offset by the protein. I know it's hard sometimes because I can't eat the things I use to. I am not losing as fast as I wanted to, but like my pcp said steady wins the race. I guess I'll go for that. good luck.
Carmen T.
on 7/14/04 11:42 pm - Columbia, SC
Dont be discouraged. Everyone is different and we shouldn't compare ourselves to others we see out here. We all have different BMIs, different heights, different body builds, different lifestyles, etc. I am 6 weeks too and have drop about 34 from my highest preop weight of 294. But I lost 6lb before surgery so I am at about 28. I can only tell you what my surgeon told me. Drink your protien drinks, eat protein first and then if you have room get some vegs or fruits. Stay away from carbs for now and get moving (exercise). Even if it is just a 10 minute walk a day. When I follow that advice the weight seems to slide off. When I don't it is hanging on like a barnacle . . .: ( As far as protien I LOVE THE NECTAR drinks especially the Roadside Lemondae. I got that from bariatriceating.com I am going to order the unflavored to add to Crystal light pink lemonade (also a post op favorite) Be encouraged, when is the last time you have lost 28lbs in six weeks? Plus I honestly do not know anyone (even slow loosers) that didn't loose a substantial amount of weight, even if it took a couple months longer than most. Remember we didn't get this way in a couple months. . . Big HUG! Carmen LAP RNY 6/2/04 294/260/180
Amber P
on 7/20/04 2:36 am - Baton rouge, LA
Hi Debbie, I am one month tomorrow and I was having trouble with protein also. I finally found a couple of things that I like. One is the Atkins Advantage shakes (choc, vanilla, mocha, strawberry) They are kinda like a slim fast but less sugar and more protein. (20g in one drink) Also the lady posted about the Nectar brand drinks. I tried some samples I bought online of the lemonade and the fuzzy naval. They are not bad. They do not smell good, so I make sure to put them in a cup with a lid. As long as I do not smell it I can drink it. Good Luck, Amber
Terry M.
on 7/23/04 1:35 pm - Elrama, PA
Debbie , I am 3 weeks post and was having the same problem. I ordered some samples of UNJURY - and WOW what a difference. They have unflavored that you can even put in crystal light.... Just a suggestion.... Also, sf pudding made with milk and then add 2T of protien powder (choc flavored for me) works wonderfully just makes the pudding taste a little like dark chocolate... Same here with the eating - if it isn't soup or pudding forget it - occasionally I can do two saltines but that is it.... Hope it helps Terry 327/292/160 RNY LAP _ 6/29/04
Most Active
Recent Topics
Testing
jingward · 0 replies · 446 views
LYN!!! (fishbowl)
B.J. · 0 replies · 937 views
New year, new direction . . .
B.J. · 1 replies · 809 views