2 weeks out having good days and bad

lorivasquez
on 7/12/04 6:00 pm - North Plainfield, NJ
I have some questions maybe I can get some help with. I had my surgery on June 29th, the first week I thought I was going to die! This is my second week and I was feeling pretty good, but yesterday I started with the pain in the left side like someone drop kicked me and the heating pad isn't doing any good. It's 4 a.m. and I can't sleep because I'm so uncomfortable. I still have some nausea...How long before you start feeling good again? Are these ups and downs normal? Any suggestions from anyone?
dcox94
on 7/12/04 10:04 pm - North Wilmington, DE
Lorraine, I had my open RNY June 21st so I have had limited experience here. I thought the first week was bad too. It seems to get better each day out. I do have days where I have uncomfortable feelings and usually I just get ready and try to sleep. Once I go to sleep sometimes the pains disappear. I assume it is trapped gas because its not a pain that is unbearable. The nausea will come if I eat too fast. Sometimes I forget and start trying to shove the spoon in my mouth to fast. What I have been trying is eat a bite and count to 10. Sleeping has not been good for me. I am still on my back and cannot get to side sleeping. The incision area bothers me when I do. I guess all of this is part of the journey. I suggest you give your surgeon a call if it does not improve in time. Good luck and God Bless.
lorivasquez
on 7/13/04 12:29 am - North Plainfield, NJ
Thanks Debbie....I'm feeling ok this morning although I feel very limited with my left side...I didn't have the open RNY I had the Lapo....but still all the same. I can't imagine having it open.I was able to fall back to sleep around 5 or so...I don't want to take the pain medicine if I don't have to so I'm just trying to take the tylanol which so far seems to work.God bless and keep in touch. Lorraine PS my friends call me Lori
reyesparson
on 7/12/04 11:06 pm - INDIANAPOLIS, In
Hi Lorraine, I am sorry that you are uncomfortable...I can assure you that it WILL get better. I am 5 1/2 weeks post-op (I had open RNY on June 9), and had some discomfort in the first couple of weeks too, but found that short amount of walking around my house--even for just a couple of minutes--and drinking something would often help me feel better. I started to feel more like myself around the third and fourth weeks (I went back to work then too). I am not a doctor, though, and if you can't find relief soon, you really should call his/her office and talk to someone there. Try to relax as much as you can and remember the "big picture"--soon you will be feeling better! God Bless! Tamara
lorivasquez
on 7/13/04 12:36 am - North Plainfield, NJ
Thanks Tamara....Sometimes I'm not sure about things and I don't want to call the dr over every little thing..I had the Lapo RYN and was blessed not having to have it open..This doesn't feel like gas pain although it could be, I guess it feels more like it would if it were bruised, which I'm sure my insides are...I finally was able to go back to sleep around 5 or so this morning after taking some tylanol....I"m trying to stay away from the pain med's if I can. This has been one of the toughest things I've done in many years but I know it was God and I know it will pay off in the end. Lorraine ps my friends call me Lori
lalynn
on 7/13/04 2:52 am - Summerfield, NC
Hi Lorraine. It took me longer than usual to feel painfree. I was very uncomfortable at night and in the morning trying to sleep. Even sitting up was hard. I stopped my pain meds last week for good at 4.5 weeks out. I think that was longer than most but my Dr. said we are all different. It was funny that I felt better all of a sudden in just 1 day. Good luck to you in your recovery.
lorivasquez
on 7/13/04 3:09 am - North Plainfield, NJ
This is so crazy...one minute I feel fine and the next I feel like I've been hit by a truck...I've slept pretty well since I've had my staples out and in my own bed, but yesterday was really hard. Today is a little better depending on how I move and how quickly I move. I haven't taken any pain meds since I'm home from the hospital just tylanol. I just wanted to make sure that this was normal and not something that I should worry about. Thanks for your input....keep in touch! Lorraine ps my friends call me Lori
Most Active
Recent Topics
Testing
jingward · 0 replies · 446 views
LYN!!! (fishbowl)
B.J. · 0 replies · 937 views
New year, new direction . . .
B.J. · 1 replies · 809 views