2 1/2 weeks post-op & feeling very weak

Evelyn A.
on 7/11/04 4:45 am - Hayward, CA
Hi All, I had my Lap RNY on 06/24/04. I started out feeling great after the first week. But now I seem to be feeling weaker. I am only eating one (maybe two) meals a day. I am not hungry & I CAN'T STAND PUREED foods anymore. I get nauseous just smelling the stuff sometimes. I am taking in about 56 grams of protein a day (it supposed to be a minimum of 68) - but more I just can't do right now. I am keeping hydrated with water, mostly with Crystal Light & SF popsicles. I called the nutritionist last week & when I asked if I could eat some 'mushy' foods (like a scrambled egg or something), I was told not for another 2 weeks. I was told that my insides still need to heal well before I introduce regular foods or this may cause a blockage (which I do not want ). I am also taking all my vitamins & everything else I need to. Any advice on what I should do to feel better??? I feel very weak & get dizzy really easy. Thanks Evelyn In California
MzH
on 7/11/04 5:24 am - LOSERLAND, MD
Hi Evelyn, You sound like you are doing pretty good with the protein and the water. I wouldn't worry about only two meals per day because it seems like you are just about hitting the protein mark. I'm very bad with my protein and water so I am very impressed. I can say however that we are always on such a high during the second week that the third hits like a ton of bricks. My third into the fourth weeks were pretty bad with me sleeping a lot. It's like I overdid because I could in the first two weeks and then got very weak. I'm now perking up again. OK, here comes the nurse in me. Watch your temp, blood preasure etc, do the nasty pureed. (I'm still on them!) If the temp goes up or there is a dramatic change in any of your vitals, immediately call your Doc. (that's why we paid the big bucks) If not, try to rest up for the next few days. It should get better. Hope this helps, H
Evelyn A.
on 7/11/04 5:34 am - Hayward, CA
Thanks H, I do have an appoint tomorrow with my PCP to check on my BP meds (as instructed by my surgeon). Then I have a support meeting for post ops tomorrow night. All I seem to want to do is rest or sleep. I get so woozy when I walk around & stuff...... How long did you feel just totally tired & crappy?? Just would like to know that this does end & approx how long it takes...... Thanks again Evelyn In California PS - at least the sleeping problems have resolved themselves - LOL
MzH
on 7/11/04 12:51 pm - LOSERLAND, MD
Hi Evelyn, I'm starting my 5th week and I am starting to perk up again. My worst time for "princess pouch" is in the morning after no food or drinks all night. I feel totally gassy and queasy until I drink something. I am still on only 1 tablespoon per meal so I make it count and always have some kind of meat if I can help it. Yes, it is funny how some doctors let their patients eat soft foods as soon as they get home. My second to third months will be soft foods finally, if he approves. Just two weeks ago I was back on clear liquids because "princess pouch" was unhappy. Then I got UNHAPPY! Cross your fingers for me that he will put me on soft foods on Tuesday when I go in. Just know you will feel better real soon. I still think your protein is AMAZING! I will do better when my Unjury shows up tomorrow. H
Barb P.
on 7/11/04 9:07 am - Smalltown, KY
Evelyn, my surgery was June 25th and I am having trouble eating also. I was started on scrambled eggs and chicken noodle soup, vegetable beef soup while I was still in the hospital. Isn't it strange how doctors are different. What kinds of foods are you pureeing? The smell of food makes me sick also and I worry. My doctor has not started me on the protein drinks yet so I am really concerned because I know my protein intake is very low.
tkalloway
on 7/11/04 12:01 pm - Seattle, WA
I had my surgery 6/29 and I'm feeling nauseated by food also. Nothing I used to really like tastes okay...or even bearable. Things I do try that are okay make me sick the next time I try them. My pouch seems to be happiest when I first wake up in the morning...and would prefer not to be disturbed by the nutrition and hydration I insist on putting in it! Today I discovered a Progresso soup with chicken and wild rice that, when blended, looks like something I wouldn't even feed my cat. Yet, it worked. I ate it and actually felt good! Before surgery I wondered why people insisted on calling their stomachs a pouch. I guess I kind of thought it was sort of a snobby thing. Now I know! A pouch is *quite* a different thing than a stomach. My stomach loved me and almost everthing I did to it. My pouch is much less sure of it's affection toward me....and I toward it. Oh well. From all the profiles I've read, most of us will feel better in time. Here's hoping that time comes sooner rather than later! Tracy RNY 6/29/04
Kori
on 7/12/04 11:54 pm - Westminster, CO
I had a lap rny on 06/30/04 and My surgeon, as everyone else's seems to be different. I am on liquids, 2 weeks out, but there are 4 foods they allow us to consume.. I cant really call it eat.. LOL cottage cheese, refried beans and cheese, egg beaters and cheese and yogurt with pureed fruit, NO seeds. all of this, of course makes me nauseated now, because I am tired of it, so every once in a while I eat a bite of runny mashed potatoes, yum. It settles my Pouch.. If you can't stand protien shakes, as I can't, GNC has an Isopure that is clear liquid. It comes in a glass bottle like an arizona Iced tea No carbs, 40 g of protien, a little pricey but soooo worth it.. this, was the best info I have ever gotten off this board.. Good luck girl Korianne 305/260/150 - 45 lbs wooo hoooo
(deactivated member)
on 7/17/04 12:27 pm - SC
I know what you mean about the pouch thing. I always thought to myself, why do they call it a pouch. Now I, too know. It is definately NOT a stomach! And I can FEEL the pouch, unlike my stomach. My stomach was always there and easy to get along with. My pouch is always noticeably there and I am in the dating stage with it trying to talk it into accepting my little tokens that are deposited. I really wished it liked to drink water more. Makes me naseated. Oh to guzzle a gallon of water. I stay thirsty. But, sippy, sippy, sippy!
LIBRA2
on 7/13/04 8:45 am - Centerville, IN
I had mine 6/10/04 and had 4 episodes, 4 different days dumping from last Wed to Sat night by eating things I found out later I couldn't have. I am severly lactose intolerant I find! I can eat cottage cheese and yogurt and both do help a lot with the protein. I make a dish with a container of cottage cheese, a box of diet orange jello, lo-fat Cool Whip and a small can of crushed pineapple (in its own juice). If your nutritionist clears that, it tastes good and gives protein. I just went on pureed foods 7/1/04 and don't get soft foods till 7/15. Pureed bean n bacon soup is not too bad. I know how you feel but those four episodes of being in agony for 2 to 3 hours at a time made me leery of what can happen! I do hope you find things you like. I went through the same frustration but the pain made me more patient! My thoughts are with you. I too felt fantastic the first weekor two and then began to get tired easily about week 3. I think it's our bodies adjusting to the major surgery and recovering.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Testing
jingward · 0 replies · 446 views
LYN!!! (fishbowl)
B.J. · 0 replies · 937 views
New year, new direction . . .
B.J. · 1 replies · 809 views