? for June Post-Ops

IrishIze
on 7/11/04 1:13 am - NJ
I am scheduled for surgery July 19. I'm feeling pretty calm - I'm very sure about my decision to have the surgery, but of course, getting a little jittery. I would just like to ask all of you June post-ops what suggestions, hints, cautions, etc. you might have for someone coming up for surgery. Thanks so much and congratulations on your success!! Nancy
krystaleyes_1999
on 7/11/04 2:04 am - Ft Leavenworth, KS
congratz on your date ! I just had mine on the 30th. I will tell you if you are haveng open. the first couple of days are the worst. after that it gets so much better. i wish you the best of luck and i will keep you in my prayers. ~Amanda P.S. If your doctor offers a binder make sure they give you one. they make you feel so much better when trying to walk afterwords.
reyesparson
on 7/12/04 12:53 am - INDIANAPOLIS, In
Hi Nancy, Congratulations on your surgery date! I believe it was the best decision I ever made; I hope you will agree. The main thing I can tell you is to really stick to your doctor's recommendations-- especially important to get your water/sugar free fluids in daily; try to walk when you can; don't overdo anything. The first week or so is a challenge, and you may feel really tired, but that is normal--it is a big deal, and your body needs time to adjust to the changes. I had open RNY on June 9, and am in my 5th week post-op, feeling great, lots of energy, back at work, etc. (not sure how many pounds I have lost so far--at my 2 week check-up I was down 24lbs!) My recovery has been very smooth. I think alot of it was my positive attitude--"I can do this"--and the support of my family and friends, which is very important as well. And the encouraging support here at AMOS!!! Good luck and God Bless! Tamara
Nancy M.
on 7/15/04 10:29 pm - Mt. Jackson, VA
Hi Nancy, Being jittery at this stage is normal. In just a couple of days you are going to embark on a tremendous journey. The best advise I could give you is take something with you to the hospital as an arm extension for personal hygiene. I took an old pair of tongs. Came in very handy to hold toilet paper and a wash cloth. You may be able to reach ok now but after the surgery you will be sore. Walk as often as you can in the hospital hallways. Remember the nurses and patient care assistants have a lot of people to take care of-- don't wait for them to ask you if you need anything. When you need something push your call button. I had good hospital care and for the most part they were right there when I rang for them. Sending an to watch over you during your surgery. May you have a speedy recovery. Nancy
memaw23
on 7/17/04 1:03 am - Abbott, TX
If you can have some one that is very supportive stay with you, most of the staff is very busy and you need just a little help to get up and get going. I had my sister stay with me and she was great. Don't forget to take chap stick or something for dry lips. ask your doc for a muscle relaxant to go along with the pain med, my back hurt me worse than the lap surgery, due to the position they put you in. Have the anesthesist hold your hand and think pleasant thoughts as you drift off to sleep. I thought of Jesus holding my hand and keeping me safe. I'll keep you in my prayers and you'll do great e-mail me when you get home, God Bless you, Bonnie
Susan "Losin"
on 7/18/04 2:52 pm - Parkersburg, WV
Hi, I didn't have too much trouble really. My surgery was June 22 and I was home the evening of June 24. The only thing that really bothered me was having to drink the contrast the next morning to check for leaks. I got all hot and sweaty and felt like I would pass out. I was off pain meds by Sat. June 26. Now that it's July 18, I've lost 23 pounds (2 week checkup) and am able to eat more than the first few weeks. I had dumping only once after eating a no carb ice cream treat (ha ha ha-- I won't be doing that again). Be careful with scrambled eggs!! I got blocked one day...it took from 10 am to 8 pm to empty!! Chew those eggs til they are nearly liquid!! I found that during the first two weeks of puree, I yearned for something more to eat. Now, I have no taste for anything sweet. There is some anniversary cake left in the kitchen (15th wedding anniversary was July 15) and I don't even have the desire to taste it. I have felt kinda lousy/out of sorts here and there but when I ate a high protein meal I felt much better and very quickly. Good luck on your new adventure!!! Susan
Most Active
Recent Topics
Testing
jingward · 0 replies · 446 views
LYN!!! (fishbowl)
B.J. · 0 replies · 937 views
New year, new direction . . .
B.J. · 1 replies · 809 views