SOOO SICK

LIBRA2
on 7/10/04 12:26 pm - Centerville, IN
Had surgery a month ago and have had 4 bouts of extreme stomach and esophagus cramps with vomiting!! Once ate something I should not have, but other times had what seemed to be OK--mashed potatoes and a baked potato, etc. I'm almost down to just yogurt and Instant Breakfast and protein shakes which I take reluctantly--hate the taste. Anyone else having such extreme reactions? It lasts 1 to 3 hours at a time. Can eat SF popsicles just fine for liquid. Even water makes me nauseous. I go back for exam 7/23 but believe I should call Barix Center before then. Diana
dawn davis
on 7/10/04 3:01 pm - cumming, ga
Yes, I think you should call your Doctor because the worst thing you can do is let your self become dehydrated - that would be bad. Try some of the other flavors of the instant breakfast (no sugar added ones of course) I like the strawberry one, also you may want to add 1/3 cup of non fat dry skim milk to your milk it adds 8 grams of protein to your milk, its twice as much protein as the carnation instant breakfast. Also try pureeing some soups in a blender or some baby food cause you need to eat, or try some cottage cheese. I went to a Mex. restaurant and ordered the chicken soup and put it in the blender rice and all and it was fantastic--took me 4 days to eat it all but it was great. I also had a lean meat grilled burger and put it into a blender with some broth YUMMMY. You may need some different flavors, I say if you can't eat it with a spoon, suck it through a straw! Sounds like you are dumping with some of the things you are eating. If you don't have some type of blockage try some of these things you may feel better once you get a good amount of protein in. hope you feel better soon, Dawn
LIBRA2
on 7/12/04 10:32 am - Centerville, IN
Thanks for your good advice. My daughter (who had same surgery 12/8/03) told me to puree bean & bacon soup which I had last evening and it was super--no reaction either. I have also added cottage cheese mixed with SF orange jello, lite Cool Whip and a can of SF crushed pineapple. I am getting in more liquid too and feeling better--two days with no adverse reactions. I haven't see any strawberry Instant Breakast around here but have a grocery that would order it for me. I also have a box of nonfat dry milk I will use with the other flavors. I really do appreciate your concern and suggestions! My best to you too. Diana
cosette
on 7/10/04 3:48 pm - Tujunga, CA
Not sure if this matters, but two things a pre-op person should never have when sick: potato and chocolate. Why? Potato sucks up all your water....therefore, if it does that when you don't have surgery, just imagine how much of your hydration that potato is sucking up post-op. Just my opinon...
ginamok73
on 7/12/04 2:25 pm - Enid, OK
My doctor & dieticians eating guides are really protein intensive, i.e. very little complex carbs (i.e. potatoes).... Have you tried any meats? Blending them is a good suggestion... Softer meats and well cooked veggies is where I'm at. Also, if I don't chew well enough, even super soft foods like cottage cheese, makes me dump. So do bites that are too big --- I've been using meatless "meat" and seem to do really well with those, probably the lower fat contents, that's my guess. I hope you feel better & if it were me I'd definitely call my doc, hydration and getting protein are really important! Gina.
Shrinking V.
on 7/14/04 5:07 am - salt lake city, Ut
Hi Diana, I'm 4 weeks out, and havn't had any problems with much except when I eat something I didn't chew well enough (chicken, crackers) and plugged my stoma. Then I threw up everything after. But in the beginning, I found out I was "lactose intolerant" and got really gassy and threw up alot, Lactaid Utltra chewables helped with that. It sounds like something your Dr. needs to check, water shouldn't make you nauseous, my Dr. said if food or water hurts, it could be excess acids that can be cleared up with Prevacid, I'd eat whatever your pouch can handle, for right now, I'm concerned about you getting dehydrated. I would call your Dr. and rule some things out, I'm sorry HON, not fun!! Hang in there and keep us up to date on what you find. ~~Violet
Heather_L
on 7/15/04 4:32 am - Hibbing, MN
You sound just like me. I am 3 weeks out and am still on Step 2. I can handle a little soup and that is i****er and other liquids make me nauseous. I have gone in twice for IV's and a scope dilitation. I would call your doctor and let him/her know what is going on. Getting dehydrated is no fun.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Testing
jingward · 0 replies · 446 views
LYN!!! (fishbowl)
B.J. · 0 replies · 937 views
New year, new direction . . .
B.J. · 1 replies · 809 views