stomach acid problem

tootles
on 7/8/04 9:11 am - charleston, SC
Hi all, I had my surgery 6/29 and today is the first day that I thought was going to make it! I had an allergic reaction to the morphine and had quite a time with my IV's etc. I am not able to lie flat, I have to sleep on the sofa or propped up in bed since the surgery. The problem I am having is at night I cough and cough and eventually I thow up what I think is stomach acid out of my mouth and nose. This happens all night. Not pleasant when the rest of the house is sleeping peacefully. I called the doctor's office today and they called me in prilosec liquid which I won't be able to get until tomorrow. They said to try Maalox as well. The nurse also told me to take something for sinus drainage. Anyone else had this problem? Thanks, CC
~DixieBlonde ~.
on 7/8/04 10:08 am - Selma, AL
Hi Carolina, I have had something similar but not as bad as you describe. I had very bad heart burn and reflux before I had the surgery and it continued until about a week ago ( I am now 5 wks post op) I would throw up some stomach acid especially early in the morning. I started taking the Prilosec and it totally stopped. Good luck and hang in there.
tootles
on 7/9/04 2:10 am - charleston, SC
Thanks Tracy, I am hoping to get the liquid priosec today the pharmacy was out yesterday. Glad someone else knows what I am dealing with. How have you been doing after the surgery? CC
B.J.
on 7/8/04 10:38 pm - Rehoboth Beach, DE
I had surgery on 6/29 too . . . my surgeon has prescribed me to take over-the-counter Prilosec tablets, once per day, for two entire months. He says this will keep the stomach acid at bay, and it's really worked well. I have to break the tablets in half, though, to swallow them. -BJ
tootles
on 7/9/04 2:04 am - charleston, SC
BJ, How have you been feeling? I got him to call in the liquid priosec for me. I spoke to a friend yesterday and she advised me to just try take more clear liquids such as chicken broth, water, sugar free jello. I was really careful last night and had no tummy troubles except for the cough all night. My family doc called in today a z-pack and some tussy tabs for coughing. I was feeling so much better yesterday and was tearful this morning when I didn't have a good night. Hopefully I will sleep tonight. I have so much going on and feel like a hermit because I can't get out. Thanks for listening, CC
Theodora S.
on 7/9/04 11:59 am - Lorain, OH
My doctor has me taking 2 Pepcid AC chewables in the morning after breakfast, and at bedtime to handle stomach acid. I was using the Pepcid Complete, but it has too much antiacids along with the meds, so I was having some major constipation. The chewables are ok... Theo RNY 6/23/04
Most Active
Recent Topics
Testing
jingward · 0 replies · 446 views
LYN!!! (fishbowl)
B.J. · 0 replies · 937 views
New year, new direction . . .
B.J. · 1 replies · 809 views