weird taste in mouth??

B.J.
on 7/7/04 1:52 am - Rehoboth Beach, DE
Hi everyone, One week post-op with a question . . . I have a sweetish/metallic taste in my mouth since this weekend. What's going on with my body, any guesses? -BJ
Aunty Emme
on 7/7/04 4:44 am - Lower piedmont, NC
Are you eating chewable vitamins with minerals? If so, maybe its the iron and copper, etc in the vitamins. I have a taste like that when I eat mine (Target brand of Flintstones complete), but it eventually goes away. Are you still on a complete liquid diet? Maybe something with the milk? Melissa lap RNY 6/9/04 -36lbs
Jean G.
on 7/7/04 5:12 am - Clinton, IA
Hi Barb, I am one month post op now and I had that taste in my mouth for about 3 weeks. It made my food and even water taste bad. It did go away but I heard others had had it too, so don't worry it will go away just takes time.
B.J.
on 7/7/04 10:09 pm - Rehoboth Beach, DE
Hi everyone, I checked the "library" link at this ObesityHelp site and found that the taste/breath issue can be attributed to DIETARY KETOSIS which is when your body kicks into fat-burning mode. This is a GOOD thing! So I say, BURN, BABY, BURN!!! -BJ
Smile
on 7/8/04 12:36 am - Buffalo, MN
It is called Keetosis (sp?)
ellabella
on 7/8/04 7:01 am - Grand Rapids, MI
Hi. I'm visiting the June board, but I'm actually a Marcher. I just asked my surgeon earlier this week why my breath smells of acetone. It's definitely normal for those who had wls and is ketosis - the body burning fat at an unusually fast rate. Tammy
Theodora S.
on 7/9/04 12:17 pm - Lorain, OH
The lungs are actually the second largest elimination organ in the body. In ketosis, the body releases some toxins and by products in the form of gases that come out in your breathing. So you will "taste" that for a while. It is a good thing. Theo RNY - open 6/23/04
Alli G.
on 7/9/04 6:29 pm - Troy, NY
Hi Barbara, My nutritionist tells my support group that the metallic taste is actually a deficiancy of some type of vitamin/nutrient and decreased intake of water. I'd suggest you get some labs drawn to see where you are at and try to get in at least 64oz H2O ( the amount Kathleen tells all her post ops) Hope this helps? I just take notes, and will do as they tell me when my turn comes! Best wishes, Allison
Most Active
Recent Topics
Testing
jingward · 0 replies · 446 views
LYN!!! (fishbowl)
B.J. · 0 replies · 937 views
New year, new direction . . .
B.J. · 1 replies · 809 views