please help!!!!!!

susan W.
on 7/5/04 11:46 am - gastonia, NC
I HAD SURGERY THE 23RD AND AM HAVING A REAL HARD TIME GETTING PROTIEN DRINKS DOWN. I BOUGHT WHEY PROTEIN, AMERICAN SPORTS NUTRITION. WELL IT MIXES WELL BUT ITS JUST GETTING IT DOWN I COULD GAG..ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS. I'M DESPERATE..... THANKS SUSAN WELCH
Cecilia W.
on 7/5/04 12:29 pm - Nashua, NH
Hi Susan. I had surgery on the 14th of June, and I have had the same problem. When I went to my doctor for my 10 day checkup, he told me it was imperative that I get in 60 gms of protein a day, so I have been trying much harder. One thing I have been doing is researching other protein powders and getting samples so when I am out of this one, I will know what to get next. I have gotten samples from www.unjury.com and they are pretty good. You don't seem to have the funky taste and it mixes up really well. I even mixed up one with Crystal Light and it was great. Another kind is one called Nectar and I have ordered samples from this website, but haven't received them yet. http://store.bariatriceating.com/syntraxnectar.html Here are some of the things I have done, to make the protein as tolerable as possible, because I don't really care for mine either. In the morning, I make up my cereal (cream of wheat/rice, or oatmeal now) with milk, mix my protein powder with milk, and combine the two. It isn't exactly awesome, but isn't too bad. Just be careful when you heat it up in the microwave because it tends to try and boil over. It will thicken some, but I just stir it all together. You can also add about a teaspoon of sugar free jelly to change the flavor. When I make a protein drink, I put milk in the blender, add a package of lo carb instant breakfast, and a scoop of powder. I mix them up, add some ice cubes, mix again, and drink it. Sometimes I put it in the freezer for a short time and freeze it a little while, and then eat it with a spoon. Of course my powder is vanilla flavor, so it depends on the flavor of yours what you can get by with. The main thing is to try and change things around so you don't get too bored with it until the next stage. I am sure other people have other ideas, so hopefully they will post them here too. Both of the sites I have sent you also have some recipes that will at least give you some ideas. Good luck, and if you figure out other hints, please let me know as well!! lol Hugs, Celia
HAPPYGAL H.
on 7/5/04 12:32 pm - KY
I HAD SURGERY JUNE 23 ALSO. I AM HAVING HARD TIME WITH PROTEIN ALSO.. I BOUGHT ISOPUR FRUITY DRINK..GAG.. EAS CHOC POWDER GAG.. I AM NOW USING CARB SOLUTION WITH POWDER THAT MAKES IT EASIER PLUS THE CARB SOLUTION HAS 12 GRAMS OF PROTEIN TO 20 FOR THE POWDER SO YOU CAN GET MORE IN AT A TIME...I ALSO EAT COTTAGE AND EAT YOGURT.. SO THAT HELPS WITH PROTEIN ALSO.. I KNOW ITS YUCKY BUT I HAVE LOST 21 LBS SO I GUESS I CAN DO IT AND YOU CAN TOO...HANG IN THERE. SURGERY PARTNERS AND LOOSERS. VICKI
sharons_ma
on 7/5/04 10:41 pm - Boston, MA
I don't know if it will help, but I love the Extreme Smoothie (from bariatriceating.com) which has 35g protein in each shake. I put them in the freezer for 30minutes ****il it starts to chrystalize) and drink them very cold. Two 11oz cans a day will get you close to your protein requirement. - Sharon p.s. - I use tasteless AnyWhey protein powder (17g per scoop) in my Carnation Instant Breakfast to boost that as well.
roxg G.
on 7/10/04 10:31 pm - not listed, MI
I SURE CAN USE THAT DRINK EXTREME SMOOTHIE WHERE CAN I GET IT. CO NAME , ADDRESS , MAIL ORDER. I LIVE IN CANTON, MICHIHAN. PLEASE HELP. ROXANNE GUZMAN [email protected]
LindseyLovesLife :.
on 7/6/04 1:33 am - Durham, NC
My surgical groups says drink 2 oz. of protein drink every hour for the first 3 weeks, and the thought if it made me gag, too. Here's what I came up with: I use the Champion Pure Whey Stack, vanilla flavor. It's not too bad just mixed with water, but I usually mix it with milk. For breakfast I put that and a banana in the blender and liquify it. To me it tastes fine, and the scoop of protein has 26 grams in it---I have a second shake in the evening, no banana, so I'm getting in 52 grams just from the powder, and then the milk has protein, as does the banana.
Evelyn A.
on 7/6/04 4:44 am - Hayward, CA
Hi Susan, The best protein stuff I have tried is the Unjury. Go to www.unjury.com - their stuff is the best. They offer to send you samples & you get to choose how much of which just to try them out. Their flavors are Vanilla, Chocolate & Unflavored. They mix up great. No nasty aftertaste. Each packet has 20 gms of protein. Mix the flavored ones with milk & it adds more protein. I use 3 of these a day & make all of my protein requirements & then some. Vanilla is my favorite - it is yummy. Cheers!!! Good luck & I really hope this helps you. Take care, Evelyn In California RNY 06/24/04
virgohoney
on 7/6/04 6:58 am - Covington, GA
Hi, i am two weeks post op and the protein drinks are so hard for me. I am drinking the Chocolate Carb Countdown Milk (it has 12 grams of protein) and mixing in a scoop of unflavored whey protein powder that I got from GNC. I add a little ice and Splenda and mix it in my blender. It tastes very close to a regular Chocolate shake and 8 oz gives me about 30 grams of protein. I'm still not crazy about it, but it works!! Good Luck! Smooches Chandra
Marianne W.
on 7/6/04 11:46 am - New Castle, IN
Hey Susan, I had my surgery 6/29. They gave us a recipe for a protein shake. Use 4 cups 1% or 2% milk, 1 cup non-fat powered milk, 1 envelope sugar free Carnation Instant Breakfast. I use the chocolate flavor and I also add 5 packets of Splenda. I love it! It tastes just like choclate milk with Nestle Quik. This will give you 4- 8 oz servings and combined you will get about 72 grams of protein, 18 grams per cup. Good luck. Marianne
Brett
on 7/6/04 7:49 pm - Paradise, CA
Hi Susan. I had surgery on 6/22. I now use the Advantage Boost. They come in chocolate, strawberry, and vanilla. They are delicious cold and stay down for me. If you are mixing in milk, maybe it's the milk. Try soy milk: I use Silk. It tastes best. Good luck. --Brett! [-33 lbs.]
Most Active
Recent Topics
Testing
jingward · 0 replies · 446 views
LYN!!! (fishbowl)
B.J. · 0 replies · 937 views
New year, new direction . . .
B.J. · 1 replies · 809 views