Help somebody !!

(deactivated member)
on 6/29/04 2:42 am - Middleboro, MA
I don't post very often, but today I feel the need.. I am one month post-op and I'm on soft foods only.. I continue to try to drink my Choc. shakes,but they don't agree with me. Iam getting strong stomach cramps and running to the bathroom everytime I have one.. I have tried CIB, Whey protein, glucerna and advant-age.. They all react the same way on me.. I am eating scrambled eggs, but I can only eat one egg. So, I have been eating one in the morning and one at nite, but I don't think that is enough protein.. Not really sure how much I need. Two eggs a day doesn't seem like enough ?? Has anyone else had this problem ?? I can't imagine any more food than I'm eating right now either.. Thanks for the help in advance, if anyone has any ideas !! Joanne
Janice G.
on 6/29/04 3:15 am - Cumberland, MD
Maybe you need to try a different flavor of shake? I used to LOVE chocolate. Then I had a hysterectomy- bye bye love of chocolate I don't hate it- just don't look for the holy grail chocolate bar any more I have been using Carnation instant breakfast No sugar added (also labeled 'for the Carb Conscious') You can get an assortment box that has along with chocolate-chocolate malt- vanilla - and strawberry. They are not too bad if you have no problem with skim milk. I think you can also get boxes of just the vanilla- which I understand you can add fruit to and whirl in a blender. There are also protein drinks that are fruit flavored (Nectar, Whey fruity, etc.) that are mixed with water. They are ok as long as you don't expect too much from them. Good luck- Jan
Tracy U.
on 6/29/04 12:37 pm - South Setauket, NY
Here's some ideas of protein foods i've been eating over the last few days (i'm 7 days post-op): deli turkey rolled with a slice of cheese (2 slices), japanese miso soup (it has tofu - protein), imitation crab meat, shrimp (obviously no ****tail sauce), scrambled egg "with cheese", polly-o string cheese, hummus on mini pumpernickle bread, yogurt, and skim plus milk (higher in protein). For filler foods I've been eating: mashed potatoes, smoothies (which also have protein****pops, fudge bars, unsweetend applesauce, fat free/sugar free edys ice cream (some protein). I have not had a problem tolerating any of those foods yet but keep your fingers crossed for me. Good luck.
Aunty Emme
on 6/30/04 4:02 am - Lower piedmont, NC
You also might try a different type of milk for your drinks - I have used both 8th Continent Soy regular, and Hood Carb Countdown 2% (has 12g protein vs. 7 or 8 for soy milk or regular milk) - both made protein drinks much easier to tolerate. My aunt uses a protein powder by Unjury - she said it is particularly geared for bariatric surgery patients. Available online, I believe she said. I have also tried MRM whey protein, strawberry banana, and GNC's America Choice (or something like that) unflavored - its about the only unflavored brand they carry - both are much more tolerable than the NSA/CIB. I live on cottage cheese - that is my lunch everyday. Also eat a lot of cheese and fish - one of those 3oz packs of tuna has 21g of protein in it. Try it with a small splash of white balsamic vinegar. I've thankfully moved on to a wider variety of foods, based on my follow-up visit with the surgeon. Sugar Free popsicles rule!
terrycoles
on 6/30/04 11:10 am - Corpus Christi, TX
I too got sick of those milky protein shakes. I bought some Crystal Light Strawberry/Kiwi/Banana and mixed it with Any Whey Tasteless Protein. The Crystal Light is so sweet tasting that it covered the taste of the protein stuff. And then I discovered Vitalady.com and ordered some samples of protein. I'm partial to the non milky ones so ordered the brand called Nectar. As I write I'm drinking a Fuzzy Navel and it taste's like OJ and gives me 34.5g of protein in a 4 ounce drink. I'm still on full liquids too and can have scrambled egg, yogurt, pudding (all fat and sugar free) and creamed soups (strained). I'm allowed to eat half a cup per meal. Did your surgeon give you a diet to follow? Be patient everyone says it gets better. I'm 15 days postup and doing good. Terry
Thomas H.
on 6/30/04 1:02 pm - Tucson, AZ
I have the same problem that you had with the whey, CIB, and any dairy product. I asked my Dr and he said that I am now lactose intollerent. I told him that I have never been lactose intollerent before and he said some people get after surgery and some don't. I asked him if I might GROW OUT OF IT in time. (ok bad phraseing but didn't know how else to word it). He said that I might or might not. So what I have been doing is I waited a week or so then started adding small amounts of Dairy. 4 Ounces of milk here, little cheese there and it has gotten better with small amounts. Now I am not a Dr. and you really should ask your Dr. about it but This is EXACTLY what happened to me, the same as you. With in 5 minutes of the CIB or Milk, or any whey I was on the potty and it was no fun. There is only about 7-9 grams of protein in one egg. Take 1 ounce of ham and cut it up very small and add it to your egg with a little cheese. This will give you about another 7-9 grams of protein. Also if you like potted meat a 3 ounce can has 12-15 ounces of protein. For me it stays down very well and no problems with it. Fat Free, Sugar Free pudding. 1/4 cup with some non dairy whipped cream might do some good as well. It is made with milk but a little bit might not bother you. 1/4 cup is only 2 ounces and added with a tablespoon of Non Dairy cool whip might work for you. It stays well with me and no problems. Also Try Isopure drinks. They have 40 of protein in only 20 ounces and they have many flavors. They are anywhere from $2.50-$3.00 a bottle but VERY high in protein. I hope this helps Tom
(deactivated member)
on 7/1/04 8:10 am - Middleboro, MA
Hi everybody, I can't thank you you enough for your responses.. What a help, this is such a wonderful place to be.. This website is awsome !! I went to the Dr.s yesterday, he did say I may have become lactose intolerant, so stop the milk.. Gosh, the foods you all are eating sound great.. I can't believe I'm having such a problem finding food that agrees with me, NEVER had this problem before !! Many many thenks again.. I'll see what I can do in the next few days and get back on-line !! Joanne
(deactivated member)
on 7/3/04 7:40 am - SC
I have not tried it yet, but my MD said tofu (which has protein) takes on the flavor of whatever it is cooked with. So, try to get some to mix with your eggs. Hopefully that will help. God Bless!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Testing
jingward · 0 replies · 446 views
LYN!!! (fishbowl)
B.J. · 0 replies · 937 views
New year, new direction . . .
B.J. · 1 replies · 808 views