HELP ME OUT OF MY PITY PARTY

lisa S.
on 6/27/04 1:11 am - katy, TX
i need some help today i am still feeling blue and need some words of encouragement. i thought after 2 weeks i would be feeling good. physically i am doing good. but mentally this stinks, why so blue?
Trier S.
on 6/27/04 5:10 am - Bakersfield, CA
Lisa, Try to figure out what is causing you to be so upset. Because you cannot eat? Because you have not lost more weight? Because people are not noticing? I had to do that last week. I was totally bummed, but did not know why. I finally figured out that I wanted to have lost more weight. How dumb is that! I have spent 30 years gaining, but thought it was all gonna just fall off overnight! You are not the only one in this situation. If you are depressed as opposed to having a pity party, then you should call your PCP or contact a therapist for some more sound advice. Take care
Kathy D.
on 6/27/04 12:01 pm - Railroad Flat, CA
Lisa, I'm 4 days post op and feeling oh so blue today!! I'm happy toost op and can't either figure out why I'm feeling blue. I should be extatic, right?? Hopefully we will be able to dump this feeling and be excited and happy again!!! Kathy RRF
sharons_ma
on 6/27/04 5:19 am - Boston, MA
My nutritionist told me that it is very common for people to get depressed after surgery. It makes sense. Many of us self-medicate with food any time we feel badly. That support has been taken away. We need to make the adjustment to something healthier...and hopefully not too expensive (I've heard of people replacing food with shopping. ). It's a transition. Without a doubt you'll make it through. And if you find the blues to be too tough to cope with, talk to your doctor. They can prescribe something to get you through the rough spots. Best wishes! - Sharon
LuJean L.
on 6/27/04 10:08 am - Boise, ID
take one day at a time LOL I know I will need you back after my suergery I have it TUE...I know this will be the mountain I need t climb..LOL just go get you a really good book you have been wanting to read. something that will make you laugh...cry and get it all out...I know you can do this you are a new person now and you need to find your road. each of us will need to do this...LOL you have lots of new friends NOW...KEEP UP the GOOD WORK...Girl how many of your old firends would have done what you did to stay alive in this beautiful world...LOL....Begin my new friend begin your journy..treat it like a new journey...Being Begin lady you have done the biggest part now for the finding the gold part. Look inside of your...YOU are beautiful..LOL Please send this back to me in three weeks OK....29th LOL
ginamok73
on 6/27/04 4:14 pm - Enid, OK
I've been really depressed too. My surgery was the 21st. I don't feel like doing ANYTHING ---- I've just been laying around waiting for the next protein drink, which I might add are awful. I'm looking forward to a few weeks from now, when I'm not so exhausted (being able to eat some protein in the form of food I'm sure will help) and when I'm able to be more active, going back to work this coming weekend (even for just a day) might even help, I'm not sure. I'm disappointed that no-one I spoke to told me anything negative about this surgery. Everyone just said, "Oh, I felt great, went back to work sooner than expected....blah blah blah"... If anyone ever asks me, I'm sure going to tell them the truth.... These first few weeks are NOT easy. I mean, if someone had told me that, I'd probably not be so disappointed about it. You know??? Anyhow, I'm just having faith that it will get better in the weeks to come and that I'll be thankful that I did this for myself. Even though right now I'm hating myself for it. Gina.
dcox94
on 6/28/04 3:55 am - North Wilmington, DE
I had my open RNY on 21st too! Its been a rough week for me. I am not going back to work for a few more weeks. I am not on a schedule for fluids intake yet nor can I bend fully to pick up things I drop. The day after surgery I cried and thought why did I do this but the next day I started to feel better. I don't have a whole lot of energy but I try and move around the house. I ventured out yesterday. I think that was draining. I believe things will get better as we go. Its just going to take time. This is adjustment time and lots of adjustments have to be made. We will make it through fine!
Trier S.
on 6/28/04 4:43 am - Bakersfield, CA
Gina, Let me give you a good, swift kick in the hiney! There, did that get you moving? I realized the more I laid around, the more miserable and tired I was. Admittedly, I have a two little ones (4 and 2) that need my constant attention, and they have been my main reason to get up and going everyday. I am sorry you feel so yucky. Can you only have the protein drinks? No broth or jell-o? I will admit to you that the first week out I was lightheaded and dizzy, but I was so full of energy that those things just did not faze me. As soon as I added in the protein (I could not have any week 1) I felt great! Literally. I was out shopping, gardening, playing baseball with the little ones, etc. Had I stayed in bed that first week, I would probably still be there. My hubby has also been a great support. He walks with me every night and checks on me throughout the day. He has definitely been my rock. Please get up and walk. Think how much it would suck to be back in the hospital with a blood clot or something else after you've gone through the mess of having surgery. I know you can do it! Get outside. Go get a tan. The sun and movement really will do you good. Trier
chavez01974
on 6/28/04 7:18 am - Houston, Tx
I had my surgery on 6-7-04 and believe me it was misery. I had the blues and I cried. I think it was because I love food and I missed it. My whole family would sit down and have dinner as usual and I would sit out with those horrible protein shakes. I did however have a heads up on the situation. The nurse that took care of me at night had the same surgery too. She told me that they don't tell you this at the hospital. She said that you would question why you even had the surgery, and if you made the right choice. Even if you'd be losing weight, she said that it would be tough. She was right. I don't cry as much because now I'm on pureed food, but I still miss regular foods. I find that when I exercise (walk) I have more hope and less feelings of helplessness and hopelessness. It does get better, believe me, it does. It is a very slow process and the minutes seem like days. Have faith and hope because you will see the light. I used to think the same exact things as you did and now the days are not that long anymore..............Sandra
Most Active
Recent Topics
Testing
jingward · 0 replies · 446 views
LYN!!! (fishbowl)
B.J. · 0 replies · 937 views
New year, new direction . . .
B.J. · 1 replies · 808 views