Just out of surgery.

JJ J.
on 6/18/04 2:17 am - Ipswich, MA
Well, today is my first day home. I was in the hospital for 5 days because I went in with a UTI. I've only gotten one before in my entire life.... what bad timing for my body to decide it wanted to get another one. If it had not been for the UTI, I would have been out in 3 days. My surgeon said my surgery (laproscopic) went amazingly well. He said it was one of the best he's ever seen or done. There was little to no blood and not one problem arose. Anyway... everything went great. I am the one that was absolutely terrified of needles. I did great. The IV was nothing. They put in a little tiny IV before I was under. If you can do a blood test with a butterfly, you can do this baby IV. When I was knocked out, they put in the real IV. I woke up with one in both hands. No big deal. I was also scared about the needles afterwards that you get in the stomach for clotting. Those were NOTHING at all. First of all, they weren't in the stomach. They now give them in the upper arm. Secondly, they aren't even really needles. They are like a teeny tiny butterfly needles about 1/2 an inch long attached to a spring. They put the plastic to your arm, click and your done. Feels like the tiniest pinch... didn't even make me flinch. All in all, the experience was great. The hospital was great. The surgeon was great, and the nurses were amazing. Those of you who are scared beyond belief, please do not be. I made things so much worse for myself. As my husband and momma constantly tell me, "Your mind is your worst enemy.". Well, I'll tell you all this... I've learned and grown so much from this experience - I am a new woman. I have a new found courage and fearlessness within me that will take me leaps and bounds higher than I ever expected I could go in my life. I have had a wonderful support team full of family and friends. I consider each and every one of you my friends and a big part of my support team. Thank you all! Remember - the human body is a very resilient thing. It's amazing what can be accomplished with the right attitude. Good luck to everyone with an up and coming date. If you have any questions regarding specific procedures, or if you just need someone to talk with, please don't hesitate to email or post. It may take me just a bit of time to answer, because now I'm going to rest! Those hospital beds certainly suck! Hehe [email protected] -Jackie
ejarbaby
on 6/18/04 6:24 am - Omaha, NE
Jackie, Thank you so much for the words of encouragement! My date is Monday. I'm hoping things will go as well for me as they did for you. Although the shot thing afterwards for clotting is news to me. I hope mine are as easy as yours were. I am a big wimp! Thanks again for the update. Glad you are doing well. Cathy
susan W.
on 6/18/04 12:05 pm - gastonia, NC
Jackie, congratulations on your surgery. My surgery is this wednesday and you sound like me my mind is my worst enemy. but i am so excited too and ready to get going. I am so ready to start my new life journey. I am trying to decide where i am going to join for exercising that is something i want to get started right away so i will not have any excuses as to why i dont have time to exercise even if its just walking. its one of the biggest to this journey. but you have really inspired me with your great attitude. i'll keep you posted as to how i do. thanks susan welch
JJ J.
on 6/18/04 10:58 pm - Ipswich, MA
Cathy - don't worry about the clotting needles - they really are nothing. I wish you a tremendous amount of courage and I know that you'll be fine. Keep us posted. Susan - Don't do it... don't let your mind take over like that. You control your destiny and if you have a good attitude everything will be fine. You and I sound very much alike. You'll see how easy this is, and you'll come out a winner!... well, a loser - which is even better. I wouldn't worry about exercise too much right away. I'm post-op 6 days now and all I can do is walk very small distances. The incisions really are painful, but that is inevitible. I've already lost 10 pounds just with a little bit of walking and following doctor's eating orders. I'm very excited to find out how things go for you - please please keep me posted. And most importantly, keep that attitude positive! - Jackie
Most Active
Recent Topics
Testing
jingward · 0 replies · 446 views
LYN!!! (fishbowl)
B.J. · 0 replies · 937 views
New year, new direction . . .
B.J. · 1 replies · 808 views