One more week and SCARED!!

nanahelen
on 6/15/04 12:23 pm - Kissimmee, FL
Hi everyone! My surgery is set for the 23rd of this month and I must confess I am so scared! It's only just now hitting me,I guess because I've been so busy with the Grandbabies,and now that they're ready to fly back home I can think again! All these questions are flying thru my head.....I know this is the best thing for me and its been so easy thus far....insurance was a snap and I've heard so many horror stories about that.....I know this fear is normal ....anyone else feel this way? Questioning your decesion to go thu with it? This to will pass! Thanks for being an ear.
jeanann
on 6/15/04 12:52 pm - Emory, TX
I'm with you, Helen! My date is the 21st, and this has been a really stressful week. I spent the last few nights with those same thoughts swirling through my head, too. For a while I was thinking, does everyone go through this? But I talked to a few supportive post ops, and I feel SO much better! Now I am reaching a real peace about it. I have placed my faith in God, and I know he will take care of me. I know it's hard, but try to surround yourself with positive, caring people, and you will feel much better. Some other things I plan to do are take a relaxing bubble bath, read a great novel, and take some peaceful walks. Prayers & best wishes, Jean Ann
Barb P.
on 6/15/04 1:15 pm - Smalltown, KY
Jean Ann seems to have some great advice. I have really been trying to keep myself busy. Next week, I am planning to have a manicure and pedicure = with no nail polish since I cannot have either of these for surgery. A massage might even be nice and then there will be packing to do and dog food to buy. Oh, and I will want to spend some good quality time with my little granddaughter. She makes me so happy! Ha
Melissa S
on 6/15/04 9:54 pm - Cool Ridge, WV
I am so nervous! I hope I dont run and hide!
Elizabeth Myers
on 6/15/04 10:21 pm - Barnhart, MO
Helen: I am 3 weeks post op as of yesterday. I have lost 39 pounds and have never been happier. My surgery was so uneventful. I went into same day surgery on Tuesday May 25th at 5:30 a.m. (surgery was at 7:30 a.m.) and was home from the hospital of Friday May 28th by noon. My last pain medicine was given to me on Thursday May 27th about 5:00 a.m. I had the OPEN RNY, and the only problem if you call it that, was trying to get all the fluids down, after the surgery. It is really important to drink, drink, drink, your fluids. I final went to sugar-free lemonade and it works great. I have struggled with my weight my whole life, and being on the losing side is like starting my life all over again. I will be praying for you. Blessings always, Betty-Jefferson City, MO
LIBRA2
on 6/16/04 4:19 am - Centerville, IN
Just through my surgery on June 10th and doing so good. I too had my moments of fear and wondering whether I was making the right decision, would I make it through surgery, etc. The main impetus to keep me going was the fact that my life quality was horrible and I wouldn't be around that many more years if I didn't do this for myself--I will be 59 years old in October. Hang in there--God is with you and everyone going into this. My prayers with you for comfort and peace and know that conflicted feelings is all party of it.
Jana G.
on 6/16/04 10:27 am - Arkansas City, KS
My date is the 29th and I know exactly how you feel. I know in my heart that this is what I want to do. It truly feels like my only option. But there is a little devil on my other shoulder telling me that if I just tried a little harder or if I wasn't so lazy I could do this by myself. I know that for me that is not true. I have tried every diet known to man I think and yet I still just keep getting fatter. I know if I were to back out now I would regret it for the rest of my life. I also know that I have a tough road ahead of me and that I am going to have to bust my butt to make this work, but I am determined to quit living my life in the shadows and to take advantage of every opportunity that the surgery gives me. I really feel like June 29th, 2004 is the beginning of my re-emergence into life! I have said many times that it is so ironic that at many times I can be the largest woman in the room and yet be invisible to so many people. I will not be that person any more. I hope this helps you in some way.....it made me feel better to say it. If you need to talk......I'm only a few keystrokes away. ~~~Jana
mssgrnspc1972
on 6/16/04 2:26 pm - Killeen, TX
Helen I also have exactly 1 week and I feel so you see you are not alone. It is funny my original date was 08/03 and I was so hearbroken and mad that I had to wait till Aug. Then when I go my actual date and found out is was going to be June 23rd I really freaked out and started getting scared We will do fine and GOD BROUGHT US TO THIS AND HE WILL BRING US THROUGH THIS. Wishing you the best. Tasha
Lisa H.
on 6/16/04 10:10 pm - Travelers Rest, SC
GOOD MORNING HELEN... I GO IN ON THE 22ND.I PRETTY MUCH CAN'T SLEEP OR FUNCTION IF I THINK ABOUT IT ANY LENGTH OF TIME. I JUST KEEP REMEMBER THAT I CAN DO SOMETHING ABOUT MY HEALTH NOW...OR I CAN WEIGHT(PUN INTENDED) TILL DIABETIS, BAD JOINTS, HEART PROBLEMS.... WHILE FALLING A SLEEP LAST NIGHT( TOOK A SLEEPING PILL), I STARTED HAVING DOUBTS AGAIN....IT IS KINDA LIKE GETTING MARRIED IT IS A JUMP OF FAITH.... LISA
Debbie H.
on 6/16/04 11:09 pm - Racine, OH
Hello Helen. I can relate to what you are feeling as I had the surgery on June 9th and up until I went in the operating room I was a bit scared. Actually was more scared up until the surgery date and really was quite calm waiting to be taken back to the OR. Came through the surgery but I did lose my spleen in the process and will have to adjust to that for the rest of my life. Each day I am a little less sore and tomorrow I get my stapes out. I think that will help me a lot. The stay in the hospital (Holzer Medical Center) was great and the staff treated me very well. At this point and time I am eating pretty much what I am supposed to and getting the required amounts of fluid. Still tired but I have great support in my husband, Roger. You will be fine and remember that this is what you have been working towards. It is the fear of the unknown but don't let that get in the way of your dreams.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Testing
jingward · 0 replies · 446 views
LYN!!! (fishbowl)
B.J. · 0 replies · 937 views
New year, new direction . . .
B.J. · 1 replies · 808 views