Tomorrow+Two weeks

Mary Ellen K.
on 6/14/04 12:20 am - APO, Germany
Is it silly to feel a bit courageous for even posting on this site? It is my first posting after months of simply reading. Tomorrow is my 53rd birthday; my surgery is scheduled for June 29th. I am petrified! Part of my fear comes from the fact that I am having the surgery here in Germany where I live (Dept. of Defense school teacher) and will be pretty much alone both during the surgery and post-op. I pray I will be able to handle things without any assistance. I have confidence in my surgeon as he has done many Americans here; I do not yet have the confidance in me. Other than an initial consult, I have had no pre-surgical sessions on food, vitamins, exercise, the physchological expectations, etc. I have read extensively and talked to others here who have had the surgery, so I hope I am prepared. I welcome any messages that can help me overcome this gnawing dread.
jeanann
on 6/14/04 4:00 am - Emory, TX
Mary Ellen, welcome!!!! You are not silly for being scared about this procedure. I am scheduled for the 21st, and at times I am a ball of nerves. One minute I will be fine, optimistic even, but the next I will have a bad case of the "what ifs". I've been told by many caring post ops that this is perfectly normal. I'm sure it's very hard for you being overseas. But just know there are MANY caring friends on this board that will answer any questions you may encounter. Email me anytime! Hugs, Jean Ann
Mary Ellen K.
on 6/15/04 12:22 am - APO, Germany
Jean, Thanks so much for your reply. I know what I am feeling must be natural. I just made my train reservations (Stuttgart to Frankfurt) for June 27th; I will stay the night in a hotel and must be at the hospital early on the 28th for testing (to include UGH! an upper endoscopy). The surgery will be the next morning. Everything I have read tells me that these tests are usaully done a few weeks prior to the date of surgery. I can't imagine doing all this and then being tuned down the day before. Your date is near, too. I will keep you in my prayers and hope you will drop a note after you get on your feet. May God be with you! Are you having your surgery in Dallas? I lived there for ten years (Austin for three and Galveston for one) and still miss it-not to mention the yummy chicken fried steak and Tex-Mex cuisine. Thoses days are forever gone, aren't they? Please stay in touch! Mary Ellen
cloudy
on 6/15/04 3:34 pm - Riverside, CA
Hello...you are not alone even if you are overseas. I will be sending you positive vibes. I am also having surgery the same day as you. I will be in San Diego, California. Be positive and don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it. I'll be thinking good thoughts for you. Connie Wise
Mary Ellen K.
on 6/16/04 12:03 am - APO, Germany
Hello, Connie! Thanks so much for your rsponse. We wil forever be bonded by the June 29th date of our approaching surgery. We WILL make it through the hurdles which now seem unsurmountable. I will also keep you in my prayers on that day. A friend called me last night to invite me to dinner before she leaves here on Monday for the summer; she called it my "Last Supper". Instead of going to a local German restaurant for schnitzel and spaetzel, we're going to cook some of my favorites (lasagna, garlic pasta and chicken, and carrot cake, washed down with a few White Russians and some Amaretto). I'm not sure how wise this is, but what the hell! Please stay in touch, Connie. Mary Ellen
Most Active
Recent Topics
Testing
jingward · 0 replies · 446 views
LYN!!! (fishbowl)
B.J. · 0 replies · 937 views
New year, new direction . . .
B.J. · 1 replies · 808 views