Ok - Terrified......

Evelyn A.
on 6/13/04 8:49 am - Hayward, CA
Hello all, I don't know how anyone else feels, but I am getting really scared . I have 10 days to surgery date and the more I think about it the more scared I get...........No, I am not backing out......I am going to go thru with it, but I am very scared all of the sudden. Is this normal????? Please let me know............ Thanks Evelyn From California
Becky F
on 6/13/04 9:23 am - Woodstock, GA
I was the same way, Evelyn. In fact, on the morning of my surgery, my "dated" devotional was about the Lord choosing to take some of us home. Needless to say, I was a basket case. I kept waking up thinking that I was finally going to back out, only to realize that the surgery was already over. How's that for scared? I am "hands down" the world's biggest chicken. If I can do it, ANYBODY can!!! It was NOT NEARLY as bad as I had imagined. In fact, if you have had any other surgeries like gall bladder removal, it's a lot like that for me. Blessings to you!!! Becky who had the surgery last Monday
Evelyn A.
on 6/13/04 9:48 am - Hayward, CA
Hi Becky, Thanks for your reply - I am soo scared. I even get nausous (sp). I am ok when I am busy and not thinking of it, but now with the date getting closer,,,,,,,,I can't stop thinking about it. I had my Gallbladder taken out last year, are you telling me that when I wake up it will be sort of the same??? If that is so, that puts a little ease in my mind. I am still very scared.......things go thru my head like,,,,will I know what to eat?? will I have complications??? you know, basically all of the 'What if's" Congratulations on your surgery - I can't believe that you are already up & on-line.......that really pleases me & I sincerely wish only the best for you. Do you think I am over-reacting??? I have ten more days of this...... Evelyn
Becky F
on 6/13/04 10:53 am - Woodstock, GA
Evelyn...For me, it has been almost identical to the gall bladder surgery recovery. I was home and online on Tuesday and only need pain medication to sleep...may not need it tonight. I truly think the "what ifs" are normal. I had the same fear about knowing what to eat. I've been sticking to the 4 oz. limit for my liquids (full) and have not been nauseous so far. It's kind of cool the way my body tells me that I might need to stop. I'll be happy to help as you go along. Being online and finding these message boards has been very reassuring for me. We are with you!!! Blessings! Becky
madi J.
on 6/13/04 10:08 am - WI
RNY on 06/02/04 with
Hi Evelyn, You are not alone, I know I felt this way the week before surgery. The night before surgery I was so busy keeping my kids from being scared that I was pretty calm. Good luck and I will say a prayer for a safe and successful surgery. Sheri
Evelyn A.
on 6/13/04 10:11 am - Hayward, CA
Thank you Sheri, I have not even thought how i am going to be around my kids........I don't want to frighten them. Any advice on how you did it?? Thanks again, Evelyn
Mary C.
on 6/13/04 2:48 pm - Mountain View, CA
Hi Evelyn, don't know where your are in California, but I'm sending positive vibes to you. ANYTIME you make such a life changing decision you worry that it's been the right one. I know the last couple of days before my surgery were spent wondering if I could really live with the changes that I was going to undergo -- it's all so permanent. But then I remembered the surgery I underwent at the end of May, 2003, for a rapidly expanding but only recently caught breast cancer! Yeah, I had the mastectomy and all of the follow on stuff a year ago. THAT one I didn't have a choice about. The cancer was caught in a routine mammogram that hadn't shown anything the year before and there were no "feelable" lumps. So when I think back on that versus this surgery and what it will mean to me for the rest of my life I realized it's all relative. If you've never undergone anything like this in your life before, you have a right to be scared, nervous and wonder if you are really doing the right thing. Trust me you are. All my best to you. mc (Mary Carr) I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of tasks -- But I'm so far behind that I'm going to live forever!  mailto:[email protected]
Lisa H.
on 6/14/04 11:55 pm - Travelers Rest, SC
HAHAHA...it is nice to know I am not the only one....went for my pre-op yesterday and have been numb ever since....keep the prize in sight...good health... I will keep my eyes open for you post op... lisa
Most Active
Recent Topics
Testing
jingward · 0 replies · 446 views
LYN!!! (fishbowl)
B.J. · 0 replies · 937 views
New year, new direction . . .
B.J. · 1 replies · 808 views