Pre-op still gaining weight

Jo-Rita N.
on 6/12/04 5:17 pm - Brooklyn, NY
My suregey is June 23, 2004 and I have gained weight since my weigh-in on March 1st. I quit smoking after 32 years (1 1/2 pks. a day) and I couldn't help munching but has calmed down recently. I am so scared that when I go see my surgeon on the 15th, he will go billistic on me and postpone the surgery. I have waited so long already and I don't think I can handle the stress. Can my gaining weight put me at more risk for surgery?
Melissa S
on 6/12/04 10:33 pm - Cool Ridge, WV
I am in the same boat as you! I have only smoked about 4 years this time. I quit 4 weeks ago. My pre-op is tomorrow and I am terrified! I am going to try to drink all liquid today maybe I will lose a little water weight. Also I started my period today so there is another ten pounds! I am going stricked from here on out. We need to shrink our liver. It makes it easier for the surgeon and lowers the risks. Some doctors do post pone surgery over weight gain. Good Luck!
Kori
on 6/13/04 2:16 am - Westminster, CO
I was in the same boat here too, my surgery is with Dr Snyder 06/30/04 and I've heard of a few cases he has postponed.. what I did was to stop drinking soda (diet or regular) . . lost 6 lbs in 6 days . . and also i am using laxitives which I was told some Dr's have you use the week before surgery anyway. .I have lost another 4 lbs since then. . . But My husband and I a re going to my last buffet on tuesday and I will probably gain it all back then... LOL JK I am gonna try not to go crazy. Good luck girls.. can't wait to meet ya on the losing side.
Mary C.
on 6/13/04 5:42 am - Mountain View, CA
I believe that you CAN put yourself at risk for having your surgery postponed if you gain weight before your surgery date. I know that when I saw Dr. Wetter in early May, he really wanted me to get more weight off and concentrate on THAT. Now I DO know what it's like to quit smoking as I did that the day of my dad's funeral, and yes, it can lead to temporary weight gein if you let the cravings control you. I tried very hard and when I saw Dr. Wetter again at the end of May, he was pleased with the amount of weight I had dropped. The only thing I can say to you, is concentrate on what you need to get done, which is taking off your pounds. What you need to do is make it easier on yourself -- get all the potential snack foods out of the house. That helped me a LOT. Start drinking a protein shake at least 2 or 3 times a day -- and I'm NOT talking SlimFast here -- get a protein supplement with very high levels of protein per unit and as few calories and no sugars. I made sure my husband knew that I needed to purge the house for ME and he was just going to have to get used to it until after my surgery (mine was this past Wednesday, 6/9/04). Make sure you have good tasting water to drink -- it's amazing that if the water at least tastes good, you'll drink it. Also keep yourself busy -- start to take small walks if you haven't done so already, go get yourself some good books to read, start a needlework project -- really you need something to keep your mind off of eating which is what cravings are really all about. I don't want to sound like this has been easy -- I've been dealing with massive weight issues for the past 25 years. I even did one of those muscle sparing, liquid protein physician supported programs 11 years ago. Yes I lost 100 pounds in 6 months through massive amounts of exercise -- but eating real food not only packed that 100 pounds back on but also about 70 more. I've also tried diet medications that my PCP has prescribed over the years. I have high hopes for the WLS I've just been through, because this is probably going to be my final chance to beat my body's predisposition to being fat. I hope that all goes well for you in the meantime. Please feel free to email me directly if you want/need additional support regards, mc (Mary Carr) I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of tasks -- But I'm so far behind that I'm going to live forever!  mailto:[email protected]
Most Active
Recent Topics
Testing
jingward · 0 replies · 446 views
LYN!!! (fishbowl)
B.J. · 0 replies · 937 views
New year, new direction . . .
B.J. · 1 replies · 808 views