The Date Is Set (6-25)

Dawn C.
on 6/4/04 9:42 pm - Dallas, TX
This is my first time posting. I am just so thrilled. I got my approval on Thursday evening and called yesterday to set up all the good stuff. I have an EGD and Stress test on Wed (6/9) and then my pre-op and hospital admit apt. is on June 17 and the big day is 6-25. I had been really hush hush about things as it took me about 2 1/2 months to get approved (insurance run around)...and really had not planned on announcing this to the world...but I couldn't contain myself yesterday. I must have told...5 people that I hadn't planned on telling. I just can't have any negativity in my life right now...and you know of those 5 people...2 were negative. My Mom says those 2 are just concerned. I told myself last night that I need to remember that this is my journey...and not any on elses. I am 34...live in Dallas...my surgeon is John Alexander. I am 5'3" and weigh 220. My starting BMI is 39. I can't wait until the 3 weeks is up. I'm already so excited and making lists of things I need to get done in the next few weeks. I think I'll start today by taking back the $200 worth of clothes I bought at Lane Bryant on Wednesday (before I knew I was approved) because I don't need to spend money on clothes that I won't get more than a couple uses out of! YEAH...YEAH...YEAH... So is anyone else set for a date around me???
mjbwright
on 6/5/04 1:50 am - JACKSONVILLE, NC
Hey Dawn....I'm happy for ya. I am scheduled for the 22nd. I hope and pray everything works out for you. I'm still waiting on insurance to let me know what's going on. I just found out that my docs office just submitted it this Thurs. My insurance has normally been pretty good about everything. I am hoping this goes just as smoothly. I just don't want to get my hopes up too high before something happens and they give me those big fatal words. Anyway, I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers as you venture through this journey. Take care.
Dawn C.
on 6/5/04 3:01 am - Dallas, TX
Thanks Jessica!! I will keep you in my prayers too! Insurance can be a huge pain in the rear. like I said...it took me 2 1/2 months to get my approval...and after that first denial letter I really felt sooooo hopeless. Of course I couldn't even schedule my surgery until the approval came through. It was really frustrating to me though as a co worker of mine submitted her paper work around the same time as me...and she got her answer in 2 weeks (approval) and she didn't have to provide half of the documentation that they requested from me. She has already had her surgery and has 2 months under her belt. But God works on his own timeline...and he knew what was best for me...as I am a teacher and really couldn't have this done during the school year. I will have exactly 6 weeks after my surgery to recoup...before I have to get back to school. Isn't that a blessing?!? I hope that you will have your approval letter very soon...I've heard some stories where people had the approval in like 4 days. I will say one thing to you. I called my insurance company EVERYDAY for the 2 1/2 months...make sure you stay on top of your provider too. After the first denial letter...and I got more info in to them with my appeal...I let them know that I had contacted an attorney and really didn't need to wait 60 days for my next answer...they got it to me in a weeks time. Persistance...persistance...persistance. Who knows if the lawyer talk even ment anything to them...but it felt good to say...even though I hadn't contacted anyone...and really don't think I would have! lol Again...I'm praying for you!
terrycoles
on 6/5/04 11:45 am - Corpus Christi, TX
Hi from Corpus Christi, My surgery is on June 14th with Dr. McDaniel in Victoria, TX which is about 2 hours from where I live. Nobody in Corpus does weight loss surgery any longer. I understand what you're saying about not telling too many people at first. I only told those that needed to know, still haven't told my Mom. My sister freaked out when she heard I was just thinking about it, so I've said no more to her. I agree that I didn't need to hear negative stuff about the surgery. After all I've researched this for a long time before I decided to do it. I feel I'm going into this with my eyes wide open well aware of everything involved. After the surgery I'll call my Mom and sister to let them know. Only 9 more days to go! I can't wait......sooooo excited! Have to go for pre-op this Thursday on the 10th. My husband is being wonderful about the whole thing! Will post more after the surgery and let y'all know how it went. Terry
mssgrnspc1972
on 6/6/04 3:56 am - Killeen, TX
Congratualtions Dawn on your approval! I have heard some horror stories about insurance companies and being denied. I could not imagine. My paperwork was approved 2 days after it was submitted and I had no problems. I also would like to address the negativity issue. I also had people that tried to talk me out of the surgery bring me newspaper clippings of something that has happened to someone it was awful. I have been researching WLS for over a year and I finally made up my mind in 03/04 that I was going to do this. I stopped associating myself with those people. My mom was very supportive but my sister was deadset against it. I told her this is what I want to do and she can either be happy for me or we will not discuss this decision. My sister has told me that she is still not to happy with my decision but she will support me and do whatever she can for me. She hasn't said another negative thing to me. If you surround yourself with only positive people this journey will be so much easier and stress free. Take Care..Good Luck
Most Active
Recent Topics
Testing
jingward · 0 replies · 446 views
LYN!!! (fishbowl)
B.J. · 0 replies · 937 views
New year, new direction . . .
B.J. · 1 replies · 808 views