I'm back home from my June 1 surgery

Julie S.
on 6/3/04 9:24 pm - Littleton, CO
Hi, everyone! I got back home yesterday (Thursday) about 12:00 PM. I'm still a little tired, but very excited! I was very nervous going into surgery, but everyone was very supportive, and I came out just fine. I had a lap-RNY, and the worst part of the post-op was getting rid of the gas they use to fill up your stomach. No incision pain at all. The incisions as so tiny -- they only use steri-strips to hold them together. I am sipping on my water -- don't really feel like eating a thing (only clear liquids anyway). I'm walking around fairly well, though the going too far wears me out. I hope all of you have a great experience. Thanks for all the support everyone. I'm looking forward to a thinner me!
Teresa R.
on 6/4/04 2:41 am - Bozeman, MT
Congrats and welcome home! I hope your continued recovery goes as well. I am scheduled for surgery on June 21st, and I can't wait! I look forward to seeing everyone on the losing side!
Arlene I.
on 6/4/04 5:11 am - San Dimas, CA
Hi Julie! So it sounds like you are doing pretty good! I was wondering, when you first wake up from surgery, were you REALLY thirsty? In the past when I have had surgeries I wake up kind of choking and wanting water, but since this a bypass surgery, they probably won't give you water. Believe it or not, this is what I am the most scared about!
Julie S.
on 6/4/04 8:13 am - Littleton, CO
I was thirsty (throat was parched from the tubes they put down there), and my lips were dry. They gave me ice chips when I got to room, so it was all good. You do ge****er and ice almost right away, so don't worry! I did have a little nausea when I got to my room. I think that was some left over blood in the pouch. Not too bad, and not too long. Best of luck!
Kathi G.
on 6/4/04 5:37 am - Rocklin, CA
Hi! I had surgery on June 1 also. No gas pain but did have a lot of nausea from anesthetic. Today I'm fighting the "gloomies". Have a hard time swallowing (makes the post-op pills hard to take). Are you experiencing difficulty swallowing? Wish I was as optimistic as you! For some reason I'm really fighting depression and the thought that I may be the "one" person WLS doesn't work for. Missing out on a lot of graduation fun and have to admit I already miss "food". Dang!! Maybe when I actually see results from all of this things will turn around psychologically. Looking forward to hearing from you and your experience!
Julie S.
on 6/4/04 8:15 am - Littleton, CO
I'm having no difficulty swallowing. I even did some protein jello yesterday. (Tasted way too sweet). I'm drinking lots of water and have had a couple of helpings of tea. Can't really get excited about any broth, right now. I have been taking the chewable vitamins, and have had no trouble with that.
Leonard
on 6/4/04 6:27 pm - Rancho Mirage, CA
Hi Julie, so glad to hear you're doing so well. Have you had any of the depression everyone is talking about? Thanks for sharing your experience. Looking forward to the operation, soon, I hope. Wishing you the very best! Leonard
Jeanne S.
on 6/5/04 2:11 pm - Newton, NC
Julie...glad your surgery went well for you...oh how I wish they used steri strips on me I have staples on my incisions and so looking forward to Tues when I get them out. I am on full liquids so that has helped me a lot. Good luck with everything!!!
Julie S.
on 6/5/04 9:28 pm - Littleton, CO
Well, it's Sunday, June 6, and I'm on to full liquids! That is exciting. I was getting pretty tired of the clear liquid stuff. No hunger pains yet, so we'll see how it goes today. Take care all!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Testing
jingward · 0 replies · 446 views
LYN!!! (fishbowl)
B.J. · 0 replies · 937 views
New year, new direction . . .
B.J. · 1 replies · 808 views