June 28th - Tips on How to Handle the Emotions????

Heather P.
on 6/3/04 1:21 am - Media, PA
Hi, I got my date - June 28th - and I'm really excited - but I'm also experiencing all these other emotions, too. I'm scared, happy, nervous, thrilled, terrified, confused...other members have told me that this is normal...but does anyone have any tips? Any spouses out there have tips for my hubby? He's been great - but I know he's not sure how I'll react when he says something to me...so he's being very careful about what he says. I don't want him to feel like he has to walk on eggshells, but I don't know what to tell him, either. It's all new to me. Any advice will be gratefully received. All the AMOS members who have written to support me have been wonderful - s all. Thank you!
M T.
on 6/3/04 2:41 am - O'Fallon, MO
Hi Heather I am having surgery the day after you and I was worried because I was feeling nothing. I am not sure if mine has sunk in yet I thought I'd be feeling scared or some other strong emotion but right now I am just kinda here. I wish I had more advice for you but know your in my prayers. My hubby seems to be really on edge since we found out. I almost feel like I will have to give him support insted of anyone supporting me.. Not to sure how that makes me feel but I can say it isn't plesent Take it easy and soon we both will get through this and wonder what all the fuss was about! Hugs and God Bless ~Trish~
Melissa S
on 6/3/04 4:43 am - Cool Ridge, WV
I am having the same emotions. I am even afraid I may back out when the day comes. I really want to have this and have dreamed of it for years. I can't back out now. So I have no words of wisdom for you.....
Colleen J.
on 6/3/04 12:31 pm - Lancaster, CA
Hey Heather...and everyone else...I kind of know how you feel about the emotions! When I first thought about gastric bypass, I thought it only meant that I would have a smaller stomach and only be able to eat small amounts of food that would basically pass right through me. The WLS Symposium was an eye opener! I left there with my little handbook thinking "Oh CRAP! I don't know if I can DO this!" I had no idea...BUT within a week I had talked myself down, reminding myself how many times I had tried and failed other alternatives...I looked at my eating patterns and my lack of will power and then stood naked in front of a mirror, looking at myself (something I HATE doing) and told myself how much I did not want to look like this anymore. Then I found this website...and the before/after photos clenched it! I WANT TO CHANGE THIS BAD! I can't do it myself and keep it off and I know that. Now, with 14 days to go and counting down...I feel nothing but excitement! I want to be on the side of the LOSING team! I can't wait to add to the before/after hall of fame! And everyone here is so wonderful! You can't go wrong surrounded by all these people who have been there! Go to a support group meeting if there are any around you and meet the people in person...they will assure you your feelings are normal and you will look at them and KNOW it's all worth it! Life will be better...not worse...you're starting over and that's scary, yes, but the results will tell the tale! Keep your chin up ...A friend of mine who had this almost a year ago told me to know that the first 4 weeks are going to be difficult...KNOW that, but also know that after that- every day gets a little bit easier Since then, it's been easy for me because I KNOW I have been miserable with myself for YEARS...I can handle 4 weeks...4 months even. And I don't know ANYONE *****grets WLS 6, 12, 18, or 24 months after having it! Our prayers are with you...and support is right here anytime you need it! God Bless and keep you always.... Colleen
Jojo G.
on 6/3/04 1:26 pm
What a great post! Thank you...I needed to hear this as my surgery is scheduled for June 24th. ----Jojo BMI 37/208 Pre-Op
Leonard
on 6/3/04 4:02 pm - Rancho Mirage, CA
Colleen, thanks so much for this post! Last night I attended a symposium. I selected my surgeon, based on the way he responded to the questions, his reputation, the reputation of the hospital that he operates at. Four of my friends have had this surgery, all with him. None had any major complications, infact if they had to do it over again they would undoubtedly have it with him. I know that this is NOT the "easy way out" as some of my well-meaning friends and family members have said. I know that there will be some difficult moments ahead. But I am ready to change my life and to deal with life differently. Wishing you the very best! Leonard
Colleen J.
on 6/4/04 5:44 pm - Lancaster, CA
Hey Leonard...Congratulations on making such a life altering decision...life altering because a new life is just around the corner...a life that I am looking forward to with all my heart and soul! And no...I agree...this isn't the easy way out...how many people consider abdominal surgery "easy"? It's a WAY out, yes...but probably far more difficult than dieting, as this is a lifetime diet as well as a lifetime commitment to taking care of our bodies from here on out...a dieter can "cheat" -there will be little if any cheating for us...or at least that's the way I look at it! I, too am ready to change my life, and I actually look forward to the way my life will HAVE to be! I, too, wish you the very best and pray that God will hold you in the palm of his hand as you begin this journey... 12 Days and counting! Colleen
Leonard
on 6/4/04 6:51 pm - Rancho Mirage, CA
Colleen, well now 11 days and counting for you. Thank you so much for your response. I have read several of your posts and now this one. You so inspirational! Please continue to let us know how you are doing. I have my first meeting with my surgeon on June 23rd. Meanwhile I am getting together letters from my doctors here in Palm Springs and all medical records detailing my attempts at medically supervisied diet programs, etc. And keeping in contact with people in here. Wishing you the very best. And know that you won't be alone after your surgery. We're here pulling for you! Leonard
Arlene I.
on 6/4/04 5:30 am - San Dimas, CA
Hi Heather! I am going through all you are describing, too... I'm on depression meds right now, but I wonder if I need to step them up because when I think about family get-to-gethers, holidays, parties, etc. I have such mixed feelings. My first feeling is everybody else is going to be having fun eating and drinking whatever and whenever they want, and I will just be standing there sipping a little something or nibbling on something that contains protein. But then I go back to thinking if I were still this fat, I probably wouldn't be at the function in the first place because I would be embarrassed about my size, or worse yet, I would be eating like everybody else and getting bigger! Ultimately, you have to know you decided to do this after you considered all of the alternatives. It reminds me of the Bible verse that says something like: Don't question in the dark what God has told you in the light...
Most Active
Recent Topics
Testing
jingward · 0 replies · 446 views
LYN!!! (fishbowl)
B.J. · 0 replies · 937 views
New year, new direction . . .
B.J. · 1 replies · 808 views