A Couple questions.

krystaleyes_1999
on 5/27/04 10:07 am - Ft Leavenworth, KS
Hi i was wondering a couple things if you all could help me out. 1.)a list of vitimans that i should be taking before and after the surgery. 2.)Did everyone have to get a phyc eval before you surgery and how long before? 3.)A list of things i should take to the hospital. 4.)what should i expect at the preop appt. ( it is June 22nd) Thanks so much! ~Amanda
carrie42
on 5/28/04 4:50 am - Inwood, WV
Hi Amanda First question, my doc gave me a list of vitamins that I'll need to take. Here's what it says: For the first two months - Chewable or Liquid (Centrum - 1 per day, Flintstone Complete - 1 in a.m., 1 in p.m.) or a Multivitamin supplement. After two months - May use capsule if desired - Needs to be a COMPLETE vitamin supplement, especially B vitamins. A calcium supplement is important to prevent bone mineral loss and kidney failure. Recommendations - For the first two months - Chewable or Liquid (Viactiv- Twice a day, Twinlabs Chewable Calcium Citrate) After Two months - Calcium supplement in Citrate form - not carbonate (citrate is better absorbed). It is best taken with food and not with Iron supplements Vitamin B12 - May be obtained by monthly injection in your doctor's office or in primary care's office -or- Sublingual (under the tongue). Sublingual B12 should be taken once a week. Iron - Supplements are necessary for menstruating females. May also be necessary in other individual cir****tances. Vitron C is available by prescription. You can also use Ferrous Fumarate. To answer your question about the psych eval...My insurance (and the surgeon's office) required that I get one. I had mine this past Tuesday (the 25th). My surgery is scheduled for June 22. Apparently, the most important things to take to the hospital, aside from normal toothbrush and toothpaste stuff, are slippers and lip balm. I've also heard that if you're hot natured (which I am) you should take a small fan with you. My surgeon said the pre-op appt consists of making sure you understand the surgery completely and making sure you don't have any other questions he needs to answer beforehand. I also think that they set you up for whatever extra pre-op blood tests you may need. Oh, and they'll probably give you info on what time to report to the hospital the day of your surgery, what kinds of surgical preparations you'll need to do the day before i.e.- drinking the phosphosoda laxative stuff and maybe a liquid diet for the day before surgery. I hope all of this helped. If you have any other questions at all or just wanna chat, you can e-mail me at [email protected]. Dang, this is one long message! Carrie
Robyn315
on 5/29/04 1:24 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Hi Carrie, I have the same surgery day-June 22-I can't wait...I have my psych eval on the 7th and pre-op the 17th. I see the doctor next week on the 2nd so guess I'll have alot of more info myself then, but thanks for the vitamin info. Good luck to you on surgery day and the days afterward...keep in touch if you want. Robyn
Most Active
Recent Topics
Testing
jingward · 0 replies · 446 views
LYN!!! (fishbowl)
B.J. · 0 replies · 937 views
New year, new direction . . .
B.J. · 1 replies · 808 views