June 8th rapidly approaching

Barb S.
on 5/25/04 12:40 pm - San Antonio, TX
My date is almost upon me and the nerves are beginning to take control. I'm thinking of the weirdest stuff, like 1. I know after surgery they're going to put those "vibrating stockings" on to reduce the risk of blood clots. What if they don't fit over my calves? I've been waking up in the middle of the night vibrating my feet - I guess to make sure that I don't have any clots in my dreams. 2. My hair is already thinning on the top. To prepare for the "100 days hair loss," I bought some wigs online. They're HORRIBLY fake looking even though they're real hair. Any suggestions??? 3. I've tried about 6 different vitamins to look for one that doesn't have that vitamin smell. I finally found One Source Prenatal - they're small, pretty pink, and don't smell. BUT =- are they really small enough to swallow after surgery???? 4. The surgeon says to walk walk walk and sip sip sip after surgery. How much walking is enough????? 5. Does the blood gas test hurt? Does the drain hurt when it's removed? Does the morphene pump really work??? But even with these questions on my mind, I know I'm making the right decision. My best to all the rest of you JUNIES! barb
krystaleyes_1999
on 5/26/04 9:04 am - Ft Leavenworth, KS
I think we all have those fears. i amsure they have stockings that fit. lol i am sure someone your size or even bigger has has surgery there hehe so i am sure they will fit. As for your hair. that should not fall out if you are getting plenty of protien. i am sure you will be fine , you will be in my prayers ~Amanda
Barb S.
on 5/28/04 3:54 am - San Antonio, TX
Amanda, thanks for the encouragement! Have you had your surgery yet? I'd love to keep in touch so we can share experiences across the US! I have total faith in my surgeon - and intellectually I know that my fears of the pain/discomfort will not be what I actually experience; and whatever I experience will be short lived . I just wish that part was behind me!
Linda A.
on 5/26/04 3:27 pm - Marshall, MI
Barb, I am scheduled the day after you. I have been insomnic for 2 weeks. I am moving prior to surgery, kids are scheduled to be here for the summer even before surgery - I just love my ex - . My sister had this done last year. Yes, the vibrating socks are velcro wraps. they will fit. If you keep up on your protein like your doc/dietician tells you, you shouldn't lose too much if any hair. I am going with a childrens chewable vitamin. I don't want to risk swallowing something that could get stuck. My sister lost 100lbs and does not have any excess skin on her belly. She walked constantly. The water is a big thing. If you drink a caffenated drink it will dehydrate you and you will need more water. The blood gas thing, is only done by someone skilled at that. There is a nerve that runs along the artery they take it from, if they know what they are doing you have absolutely no problem - I'm asthmatic and have had probably a hundred of those done. As for the jp drain - might feel a small tug. You will be great! It will be the best thing that either of us could do for ourselves!!!!!!! Talk with you soon. Linda
Barb S.
on 5/28/04 3:56 am - San Antonio, TX
Boy - it sounds like you've really got a jam-packed summer. I hope that with the kids there someone will be able to take care of you and encourage you towards healing and success. I know that it won't be as bad as I think it will be. Please keep in touch so we can share experiences throughout this journey! Barb
Most Active
Recent Topics
Testing
jingward · 0 replies · 446 views
LYN!!! (fishbowl)
B.J. · 0 replies · 937 views
New year, new direction . . .
B.J. · 1 replies · 808 views