What is "dumping"?

Ellen T.
on 4/19/04 12:39 am - Port Norris, NJ
I have been doing alot of reading on the website lately and i keep on coming across the word dumping. i have no idea what it is, does anyone know? Just by the sound of it, it doesn't seem like a good thing. Please help.
Rose V.
on 4/19/04 5:03 am - Westampton, NJ
Dumping is when you eat something (mostly something with sugar) your body will expell it (throwing up, stomach cramps). It also could be that you have eaten too much food, not chewed food properly. That's dumping. Not a good thing.
Laurie J.
on 4/19/04 6:12 am - Minneapolis, MN
Dumping syndrome Whereby stomach contents move too rapidly through the small intestine. Symptoms include nausea, weakness, sweating, faintness, and, occasionally, diarrhea after eating, as well as the inability to eat sweets without becoming so weak and sweaty that the patient may have to lie down until the symptoms pass. From the Weight Loss Surgery Dictionary
revgail
on 4/20/04 12:30 am
Ellen, Don't let it scare you! Laura's post was the definition. I have friends who had RNYs in Sept and Nov of 2003. They have not had much dumping. One person I know had her surgery April 2 and hasn't had it at all. Remember we have this time before our surgery to prepare ourselves for the rest of our lives. This includes slowing down our eating, chewing our food well, taking smaller bites and watching what we are eating more carefully. If we do these things now and break the old habits now post-op can be a lot easier on us. Blessings to you on your journey and know you aren't alone. Gail
Most Active
Recent Topics
Testing
jingward · 0 replies · 446 views
LYN!!! (fishbowl)
B.J. · 0 replies · 937 views
New year, new direction . . .
B.J. · 1 replies · 808 views