pre-op diets

Tasha M.
on 4/11/04 1:33 pm - Colonial Heights, va
Hey everyone! I was just curious does your doctor have you on a special diet pre-op. I've heard of some doctors forbidding you to gain weight while waiting for surgery. Is this common? Have you already started your exercise routine? If so, what are you doing? Right now I am not on a special diet but I'm wondering if I should be since I am continuing to gain weight. I need to start exercising but it is so painful for me that I find myself procrastinating. UGH I'm joining American family Fitness so I can take advantage of all their water classes. I need to do something because my surgeon requires you to be walking at least a mile a day by two weeks post op. Anyhow, I'm really curious to see what everyone else is doing. hugs, Tasha
Deborah V.
on 4/12/04 3:52 am - Scott, LA
Hello Tasha I have been told that i will be placed on a diet b4 surgery ...to shrink the liver to make the surgery easier for the Dr . they prefer you to lose a few #'s b4 Hope this helps you Blessings Deb "To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world"
carrie42
on 4/12/04 11:57 am - Inwood, WV
I was also told that I'd have to go on a diet 2 weeks pre-op to shrink my liver. I don't know about you girls but I've been overtaken by "last meal syndrome". I'm eating like I may be stranded on a desert island without food at any minute. LOL I'm taking advantage of all of the food I won't be able to have anymore after the surgery and which got me into trouble in the first place like cake, cookies, ice cream, steak, ribs, pie, KRISPY KREMES! Yum. Carrie
Deborah V.
on 4/12/04 1:06 pm - Scott, LA
Shhhhh don't tell Carrie rofl I am sure they know what we are doing and thus the 2 week b4 diet yikes i hate that word "To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world" Hugs Deb
Tasha M.
on 4/14/04 1:29 pm - Colonial Heights, va
I know, I've got the syndrome too. LOL I actually have not done too bad or no worse than usual which is what got me here in the first place. I definitely went overboard on easter chocolate though. I have a huge case of the guilts right now.....and yet, I could still eat another Dove truffle egg. Tasha....headed straight for chocolate hell!
Debbie B.
on 4/14/04 2:28 am - Norfolk, VA
Boy do I know how that is!! I'm the same way. Let's not tell anyone how bad we're doing! It can be between all of us here on the board Oh well, what can we do, we're used to a certain life style and it's all going to come to a halt Not that I'm mind that. Actually I find myself Jumping for joy at the thought of it. I find myself eating anything and everything that I know I won't be able to have. Especially sweets, which I know will not be allowed I'm trying to do it in moderation and haven't gained that I know of, but I'm not 100% sure. I have to go to a nutrition class about 3 weeks before my surgery so that's when I'll find out about the pre-surgery diet I guess. Right now I wasn't told of anything special. As far as the excercise goes, my psychologist actually told me not to do anything unless it was in the water or sitting down. She said it could cause more damage than do good! Debbie
Thomas H.
on 4/13/04 11:51 am - Tucson, AZ
Tasha, I don't know if this will help, but read my profile and maybe it will give you some ideas. My Psychologist and I came up with some great ideas. I have put them to work and I have lost 55 pounds since January 29th, 2004 useing these ideas. Hope they help and good luck. Tom
revgail
on 4/14/04 3:28 am
Tasha, My dr in Upstate NY requires us to do 3 days of clear liquids just prior to surgery. This is so you organs will clear themselves and shrink to give him more space to work. He also said "Do not gain weight! or I will cancel your surgery even if you are on the table!" A lot of us go through the "I have to eat this one last time" syndrome. We need to fit that urge as much as possible and try to maintain or lose weight for our own good. Thomas' webpage is a great inspiration if you haven't had the time to read it do so. I know I gleened a lot of information to help me in my waiting period. Good luck on your journey and keep in touch. Gail
Stacey F.
on 4/17/04 12:52 am - Carlisle, PA
Hello again Tasha! I have been on a diet for 6 months. I had to first keep a food journal of everything I was putting in my mouth. By that they gave me pointers on what to cut out or at least limit. My biggest thing was soda and chips. I now drink only diet caffeine free soda, but mainly Crystal Light. All they wanted was for me to maintain my present weight or lose some. I have lost 7 lbs. The week before my surgery I am allowed nothing but Sugar Free Carnation Instant Breakfast. Talk about being a B---- on wheels. So that weekend I plan on going for what we call that last fat person meal. I can't wait to start anew.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Testing
jingward · 0 replies · 446 views
LYN!!! (fishbowl)
B.J. · 0 replies · 937 views
New year, new direction . . .
B.J. · 1 replies · 808 views