4 months out

decoster09
on 9/9/09 2:34 pm
Tell me how everyone is doing and what they are eating...I myself have came to a little stall and getting discouraged I actually far as eating was able to eat whatever I wanted I was so proud to be able to eat a hard shell taco and not get sick, my biggest thing is still the hair loss its just coming out in handfuls and NO I dont do protein drinks etc. have tried them all they make me sick so doc says just try to eat lots of protein items. im trying.. there are some days i feel like im eating and eating other days I wont have nothing someone give me some insight and tell me how your doing or if you have this problem.
EOD WIFE
on 9/11/09 2:53 pm - Lawton Ft Sill, OK
I'm doing FANTASTIC! I feel great, have energy, am working out and I am at 196 as of today down from a high of 257. I too can't do the protein shakes, but can eat enough protein rich foods to make my numbers and when I can't I do a shot of a protein bullet. I have dumped about 3 times and 2 of those was when I was freshly out. I puke on occasion, and have been constipated off and on. I too am losing hair (it started at 3 months****ep cutting it shorter and shorter LOL. All in all this has been a great journey and I only wish I had done it LONG ago.
I got good labs back last week and I got my A1c down from a 9.0 to a 5.5, so the doc says I am no longer considered diabetic.

I hope all the other MAY'ers are doing well too!

I  MY RNY 5-5-09    Life is Good
       myxferadd.jpg picture by mikeysbrightstarboobies.gif picture by mikeysbrightstar

janethinds62
on 9/13/09 5:55 am - Bladenboro, NC
I will be four months out on 09/21,  I have lost 55 lbs. so far.  My starting weight was 213 and now I weigh 158.  I reached a stalling point but after 2 weeks the weight started coming off again.  I have not had any trouble with hair loss.  I do drink the protein shakes.  Some days I actually feel hungry and other days I don't want anything but my water but I force myself to eat something.  I have experienced dumping twice, the first time was from eating watermelon the natural sugar was too high for me.  The second time, I think I might have eaten too fast.  Dumping is something I hope I never experience again both times I was vomiting for at least four hours straight.

talksoupslp
on 9/14/09 12:08 am
At just over 4 months out, I'm doing FANTASTIC!  Since surgery, I've lost just over 80 pounds (for a grand total of 151).  I exercise 6 days a week.  My blood pressure meds have been stopped.  We are working on a new setting for my CPap as the current setting is too high.

While I'm tired (mostly from getting up at 4:20am to be at the gym at 5am), everything is going well.  I tolerate all foods that I'm supposed to eat.  I drink an "iced protein latte" every morning for an extra protein boost.  Oh, and while my hair isn't falling out in clumps, I'm shedding a bit more the past month than I usually do.  Oh well.

-TS

Highest Weight/Surgery Weight/Current Weight/Goal
426.4/356/216.8/165?
Trish C.
on 9/15/09 4:13 am

I will be 4 months out at the end of the month.  I just got over a 3 week stall, but lost 4 lbs last week.

I have lost 41 lbs since surgery, I wi**** was faster, but I have always been a slow loser.

I am really trying to up the exercise this month so we will see if that helps.

I also have resigned myself to having a protein drink for breakfast, seems to help me not panic about getting my protein requirements in on a daily basis, it's a great protein start to the day at 35 grams.  I mix 1 1/2 scoops chocolate unjury, 1/2 cup milk, some ice, splash half and half, and splash of coffee in a blender.  It's actually quite good.

This past month I have seen more shedding, some days alot, some days not so much.  I have alot of hair so I am hoping it wont be that noticeable.

Trish
HW: 247, SW: 217, LW: 128 CW: 151
goal weight of 130 hit, trying to get back down to 140

stellarsan
on 9/17/09 12:28 am - Dunedin, FL
Doing very well, and I'm really happy about my weight loss so far. I had the typical plateaus ( they usually coincide with my periods, so about once a month), but I have a nie loss after each one and I'm definitely shrinking - I have gone from a size 22/24 (sometimes snug) to a 16W, 18 non-W.   I'm having a hard time working out more than 3-4 tmes a week right now because my job is stressful, it's rainy season in FL, and I have a 2 year old (but I get a lot of work outs chasing him!). I will have a little bit more support at the end of next month and will then be able to go to the gym to get a work out in after the baby goes to bed. Looking forward to that now that it's easier to get moving. I marvel at my shrinking body, and lots of stuff sags a lot, so I've started lifting some light weights at home at night.  I also bought a Wii to try to get that in aafter the little one is asleep.

As for eating, I can eat almost anything in a small portion. Lucky you that you can have a taco - I try, but it usually makes me feel really yucky. I don't dump per-se, I just feel like crap (as if I were REALLY drunk or something) for a bit and then feel like a champ abotu 30 min later. I eat a ton of fish (Sushi, Grilled or baked Tilapia, Salmon, fresh Tuna, crabcakes with no breadding, shrimp galore, scallops, crab).  Essentially if it comes from the sea and is fresh, I'm in - it's the easiest for me to tolerate by FAR. I like fish a lot, so that works out well.  I eat a lot of watermelon, canteloupe, and berries - just not a lot at a time.  I used to lvoe Chicken salad and Tuna salad and I am just unable to tolerate those two - they gross me out in a big way and often make me feel like crap after I eat them. I thought it was the mayo, but I do fine with that most times.  I had a Greek salad (1/2 cup) yesterday and it was DEEElish - I had been craving one since  my surgery. I typically don't eat salads, though, because there isn't a lot of nutritional value, but it was mostly Chicken nicely moistened by tomato, feta, and lettuce. 

Mornings are tough for me - if I don't eat something and just have a protein shake ( which fills me up for hours), then once I have lunch my blood sugar plummets (they tell me it's reactive hypoglycemia), so I typically eat a hard boiled egg and a mini light yogurt. I am sick of all fo the protein shakes, so I bought some Blk Cherry Proteinex from Bariatric Eating which in 3 oz I can get 18g of protein - it tastes pretty bad concentrated, but I try to shoot it and chase it with a sugar free drink. I just started this and it is really helping up my protein.

My hair is falling out, started at 3 months, and it's in full shedding mode now. Luckily I started out wiht a LOT of hair, so now it is definitely thinner but I'm not sweating it - hopefully that phase will end in 2-3 months.

All in all, it's definitley been an adjustment, but definitely well worth it and I wish I had done this years ago, too. I have various levels of acceptance around me from my friends and family. Mostly my closest have been supportive as heck and I really don't waaste my time on those that are bothered by it.

Great to hear from everyone and keep up the good work!

sheepla
on 9/17/09 2:00 am
Love hearing updates from everyone.  I will be four months out on Sunday.  I've lost 60 pounds since surgery and am very happy with my rate of loss.  I have lots of plateaus.  A typical month for me is 10 day plateau, 5 days in which I lost 5 pounds, then another 10 day plateau.  That is still an average weight loss of 10 pounds per month so I'm not complaining.

No sagging skin yet (I check this regularly!) but my hair is falling out by the handful.  I was expecting it but it is much worse than I expected.  Luckily, I have very thick hair so only my hairdresser and I notice.

My biggest problem is drinking with meals. Haven't had any negative side effects from it yet.  Even then, I still have a hard time getting enough fluids in each day.

No throwing up or constipation since surgery so I'm grateful for that.

Continuing to average about 900 calories per day, 80 g. carbs and 65-70 g. protein.  Trying to get my protein up to 80 g and carbs down to 60 g.  Gradually moving in that direction. 

SW-272, CW-219, GW-175
5'9"

iamfarfaraway
on 9/21/09 8:07 am - Charlotte, NC

I am not quite to 4 months it will be 4 months on the 25th.  I have lost 32 lbs post op and 40 lbs pre- op for a total of 72 lbs which has been great.  I feel that I have been losing weight really slowly but my Surgeon thinks I am doing just fine.  I seem to be a little stalled I haven't lost weight in 2 weeks.  I have not dumped but I do throw up at times when I eat to much, drink to close to my meal or not chew good enough.  I am learning everyday.  I have gone from a tight 22 pants to a size 12 jeans it is so exciting to be able to shop in regular stores rather than the large size sections only.  I hope to continue to lose weight and will just have to see what happens these next couple of weeks.

WIsh you all much success on your journey
Sandy

40 lbs lost pre-op

dbyarbro
on 9/26/09 6:37 am - Cypress, CA
Hi Everyone!  Happy 4th month!  I cant believe how fast it is going!  I had mine on the 21st, and on the 24th of this month I hit onederland!!  I am now down 59 pounds since surgery, off my blood pressure meds, and no longer prediabetic.  I feel wonderful.  I still really cant eat any dairy other than hard cheeses.  Don't even get Cottage cheese or yogurt near me...yuck!  Which is a bummer as I used to love it before.  I do start the day off with a protein drink, just to get a boost of protein for the day.  This month I did have a stall, but I made it through, and am ready for the next one.  I have ventured to the hard shell taco side, but I only use one side of us, kind of like a 1/2 tostada, but boy is it good.  I do have to be careful on the beans, I seem to misjudge how filling they can be, and have thrown up on those if I add them with my 1/2 taco....opps!  Anyway, Happy September, and congrats, on another month of health!

Denise
 Read about my journey on UCLA's Bariatric Website:
 http://bariatrics.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=47&ref=11&action=detail

293/255/199/165/142    Highest Wt/Surgery Wt/GOAL #1/Goal #2/Current 
GOAL #2 REACHED-March 3, 2010, Breast Reduction-Sept 9,2011

Most Active
Recent Topics
anyone on?
losing_it86 · 5 replies · 1411 views
NOTLosing
onyxmann · 5 replies · 1409 views
How is everyone?