3 months out

ellencarlos
on 8/5/09 8:37 pm, edited 8/11/09 6:30 am - Brevard, NC

Hi Everybody,

Its been a while since I have claimed my seat with this group.  I've been in the north woods of Wisconsin for 6 weeks with only dial-up access to the internet, and it is so slooooow!  Its great to be back in North Carolina.  I had my 3 month follow up at SEB 2 days ago and everything seems to be in shipshape.  I have lost 50 lbs including the weight lost during the 2 weeks pre-op.  I can walk a mile, and climb a couple flights of steps, albeit, slowly.

Food-wise, I can eat some of most everything, but have the most trouble with stringy things, like asparagus or snow peas or leftover meats. I still have trouble stopping when I have had enough and that extra last bite bites me back all too often.  

My only disappointment so far is that the weight is not "falling off" like people said it would.  Now, losing 50 pounds in 3 months is no small feat, but I am still wearing the same clothes. They are looser, but I still look the same to me. Now that I am back home, people are expecting me to look thinner, and I don't, so each first encounter with friends and acquaintances is a struggle. They all want to know how much I have lost and its embarrassing to say 50 lbs., and still look like I do.  I am sure they are thinking, if she lost that much and still looks huge, just how much did she weigh before?  The amount pre surgery has never passed my lips and I doubt if it ever will.

As you can see, I still have a lot of mental work to do, too.  I really need to hear from you that are at the same stage that this is working for us.  I still have the feeling that it won't work for me--after all, nothing else has worked or I wouldn't be here.  I will try to post more often and use this as one of my tools to successfully clean up my lifestyle and enjoy life in all sorts of new ways.  

tonigirlv
on 8/5/09 10:38 pm - South Jersey Shore, NJ
I am at the same exact place as you are.  I've lost 39 lbs. since surgery and I too feel this is slower than expected.  I also feel that is isnt' going to work, but my Dr. assured me it will.  Your not alone with clothes still fitting, but looser and all of that.  I am just now starting to get some people saying, oh, your losing weight.  Maybe slower is better, not as drastic....but yes, alot of mental work is def. needed.  I do however, feel better than i have in years and it is nice to be satisfied on very little food.  I could honestly say, i have no disappointments so far.  It's all good.....

Toni
iamfarfaraway
on 8/6/09 11:57 am - Charlotte, NC
I have lost 65 lbs total but 40 of that was pre-op I am 2.5 months and have lost 25 lbs since surgery (I consider this slow, I have my appt with my Surgeon for my 3 mo appt the 1st of Sept) Because I was 250 when I started this process and now I am 185 I have dropped sizes and can really see the weight loss but again it helps that I did lose the 40 pre-op. 

The weight will come off, but of course we all want the weight to fly off fast and be thin right away,  Just try to drink at least 64 oz of water, 80 grams or more of protein and get some exercise and the weight will come off when it is time.

Good luck on your journey I know you will be a success
Sandy

40 lbs lost pre-op

ellencarlos
on 8/6/09 8:18 pm - Brevard, NC
Thanks for the support.  I rationally know that I am not the only one with these concerns and thoughts, but it is much easier to accept when I hear that others have the same experiences, doubts, etc.  I had a very positive experience yesterday when I met with a group of friends that had not seen me for 2 months.  They were ecstatic with my progress without even asking how much have I lost.  Those are the kinds of people I need to surround myself with. 
EOD WIFE
on 8/7/09 1:28 pm - Lawton Ft Sill, OK

This has been a quick 3 months!
While the weight hasn't fell off of me either, I can honestly say I am happy with my progress so far. I am down 55 pounds and 31.25 inches so far. I am 2 stinking pounds away from ONEDERLAND and have been here about a week.
This is definitely not a journey for the faint of heart! I am glad I am on it  and wish I had started it years ago!
I am enjoying being active, working out, trying new things (Yoga & Pilates) and working on ME!

Good luck to all of the MAY'ers and may we all get to where we want to be and find peace on this journey!

I  MY RNY 5-5-09    Life is Good
       myxferadd.jpg picture by mikeysbrightstarboobies.gif picture by mikeysbrightstar

lizzyloo
on 8/8/09 10:50 am
hey guys, I'm also a May'er. 5/5. This is my first post but I've been reading you since the surgery. I've also lost 50 lbs. I started at 284 pre surgery, pre liquid diet and this morming my weight is 234. I also this is slow, but I am ok with that I know and you know that it will come off. sooner or later...we are eating a 1/3 at least of what we were eating...so I'm confident we will all achieve our ideal weight....

good luck and keep up the positive attitute! 
Alegria
on 8/9/09 10:57 pm - Nova Scotia, Canada
Congratulations Everyone !!!!! Three months, where has the time gone.

I'm so glad you posted this discussion topic as I was feeling the exact same way.  I guess our expectations of what this would look like was a bit off huh...

I have lost 42 pounds since surgery and 56 since pre-op, which in the big picture of things is pretty amazing.  I guess if I continue to loose the 10 pounds a month like my surgeon recommends I will arrive close to goal by this time next year, and in the bigger picture of things I will be smaller than I was when I got married 20 years earlier, and of course smaller then my husband which I'm really looking forward to.

Keep up the great work everyone, we will get there. 

Smiles,

Nadine

5'10 ~ HW 333 / SW 319 / CW 223 / Goal 170

Canadian-eh
on 8/10/09 6:16 am - Canada
I was told if you had a significant weight loss prior to surgery, the weight may not "melt off" as fast....but it does come off.

I lost 25 lbs pre surgery....9 lbs on the liquid diet....and as of today 30 lbs since my surgery day.

It will be 3 months for me on Aug 19....so I am happy with that, my NUT is happy and I see my surgeon next week.

The saving grace is inches............wow....I went from a size 3X pant to a 17/18 (depending on the style)....a 3X top to a XL or a L.....that alone is an accomplishment for me.

I walk about an hour a day maybe more...I haven't started back at the gym yet...will probably do that once the weather gets cold outside.

Anyways, that's my take on this whole subject

Brenda from Canada
 Highest/Surgery/Current/1st Goal/2nd Goal
 278          241         163    160          150
ONEDERLAND  September 27, 2009    

ICanada

sheepla
on 8/11/09 4:28 am
I'm almos t3 months out and have lost 43 pounds, which is faster than I expected.  I lost 30 pounds before I changed clothing sizes, but now I am changing sizes quickly. I also lost almost 40 pounds before anyone noticed I was losing weight (I'm tall).  I've been stalled for the past 10 days, which exactly coincides with how long it has been since I exercised. I usually exercise A LOT, so clearly that is a critical component for me.  This is the first stall that has left me really discouraged and I have to remind myself this doesn't need to happen all at once! It actually helps me to hear others feel the same.

SW-272, CW-219, GW-175
5'9"

aphrael
on 8/11/09 6:04 am
Wow, reading this has made me feel a lot better.  I was depressed reading other places that people were losing 60, 70 or more pounds in the first 3 months.  I couldn't figure out why I was failing so badly.  I am down 53 pounds since I started everything, 45 since surgery.  I got tomorrow for my 3 month post op.  So we will see what the Dr thinks. 

I am discouraged because my cloths are not just falling off me and dropping sized like crazy.  For 50 pounds down I had hoped to be down more.  My 28's fall off, but I am still in the 26's and 24's.  I was able to buy a new sweatshirt this weekend it was a mens XL that made me happy.  I just look forward to being able to shop in normal stores and I am just not there yet.  

As for food, it is a blessing and a curse.  I don't dump.  I can eat ice cream, chips, cookies in small amounts.  Sugar doesn't seam to bother me, but I haven't tried to see what my limit is either.  I can eat a scoop of ice cream and have no ill effects, one cookie, and a few chips.  But I can't drink milk, eat tomatoes or lettuce.  Those three things make me instantly ill.  I am still drinking 2 protein shakes a day, and eating 3 meals that are about 1/4 - 1/2 cup of food at a time.   I try to log my food each day just to make sure I am getting everything in.  It really helps with the head issues to log everything.  As does the measuring and weighing food.  

So that is where I am right now, I hope when I go tomorrow all my labs are good and they don't need to add any more supplements or vitamins ugh... Still have trouble swollowing some pills so paying an arm and a leg for chewable vitamins still.  

Most Active
Recent Topics
anyone on?
losing_it86 · 5 replies · 1411 views
NOTLosing
onyxmann · 5 replies · 1409 views
How is everyone?
EOD WIFE · 3 replies · 1287 views
132lbs gone!
thisxtooxshallxpass · 7 replies · 1143 views