Little Help Please

decoster09
on 6/9/09 12:45 pm

Ok well I have the biggest problem with protein, It doesnt settle with me as some of you may remember from earlier post. Anyhow I had surgery 5/12/09 and would like someone to tell me what they are eating kinda give me a typical menu of what you may be eating besides the protein shakes that I cant tolerate. Give me some recipes, ideas anything so that I can make sure Im getting plenty of protein in. For instance today I had

b- 1/2 protein bar

s- string cheese

L- tried some chicken noodle stuff it came back up

s- string cheese

D- fish fillet

s- string cheese

Ok im eating alot of cheese but I dont like cottage cheese and yogurt dont settle with me. Has anyone tried vanilla yogurt and blending it with some fresh fruit? or would this not have enough protein? Also i have tried the flavorless protein powder and cant tolerate it, it comes right back up. Im lost for what to do I also eat some tuna it just started tasting horrible any ideas of what to do with it?? Any help would be nice THANKS

iamfarfaraway
on 6/10/09 12:09 am - Charlotte, NC
Well I do a lot of protein shakes so I can't really give you a menu but here are some ideas

SF Choc pudding with added Choc protein
SF Jello with added unflavored protein
Chili
eggs
Greek yogurt (has more protein than regular yogurt) you can add SF syrups

I have unflavored protein and you can add it to almost anything and you don't get protein taste it will help you get more protein

I hope at least some of these help you
Sandy

40 lbs lost pre-op

aphrael
on 6/10/09 1:48 am
Have you treid different flavors and brands of protein?  Necters make a lot of fruit flavored ones that some people tolerate better than the milk shake type.

Also some people can't have certain types of protein, like milk based, soy based or whatever.  You should try experimenting with differn't kinds of protein.  It is very difficult at this staget to get it all in without the shakes.  You have to remember the shakes are our medicine. 

If you just can't find something, try tuna it is high in protein.  I do 2 tablesppons tuna with 1 tbsp light mayo for 10.5g protein, 1 carb, and 75 cal.

Ground turkey also has a high protein content and you can add whateve seasonings you want to it.

on http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/  has a lot of protein rich recipies you can look to try out.  I love the baked riccotta one. 
stellarsan
on 6/10/09 9:40 am - Dunedin, FL
Hi - I had surgery the day after you and I have a hard tme getng in all of my protein too - I actually like the protein shakes, they just get old. I've heard and read a ton of reviews on the Nectar proteins, and my doc said that there is no way to get all you need from food yet, so he wants me to double up on the protein shakes. I'm going to get the roadside Lemonade and the Lemon Tea - that's what I used to drink before surgery mostly (not the protein versions), so I'm interested to see what they are like. Vitalady.com sells samples of them alll for like $2, so I'll probably get some from her as well.

As for the food I'm eating, I take 3 oz of Ricotta ( skim, lowfat) and add a 1/2 packet or so of Splenda (so good) and sometimes add unsweetened applesauce (8 gr protein)
Scrambled eggs (7 gr protein)
Tilapia ( 4 oz = 21 gr protein), pan-sauteed in Pam
SF Jello Pudding w protein powder in it - my faves are lemon, pistachio, and butterscotch
Tuna mixed with light may w Olive Oil or Miracle Whip Light ( use sparingly), and sometimes cream cheese and hot sauce for something different
Pintos & Cheese from taco bell
Wendy's Small Chili - divided into 3 or 4 servings
scrambled egg w cheese

I need to add sme eggies, but I get so full eating food that I don't think I have room just yet.

God luck finding something god - I get a lot of ideas from the Books "Before & After" and "Eting Well after weight Loss Surgery".

EOD WIFE
on 6/10/09 9:50 am - Lawton Ft Sill, OK
Have you tried the protein bullet's? they have some with 25 g &45 g. They taste ok, kind of like cheap koolaid. They work in a pinch to get the extra protein in.

I  MY RNY 5-5-09    Life is Good
       myxferadd.jpg picture by mikeysbrightstarboobies.gif picture by mikeysbrightstar

Daisygirl12
on 6/10/09 12:08 pm - Canada
I was just given this site the other day...lots of great things on it that I'm going to try.  I've tried the hot chocolate (there's one called Proti-Diet)  The hot chocolate has I believe 15gr. of protein and it's quite tasty.  http://www.bariatricchoice.com/bariatric-diet-protein-hot-dr inks-14.html
Also, I'm not sure if you can have breads yet, but I use half of a whole wheat english muffin, spread it with lite herb and garlic cream cheese and add a low fat piece of turkey breast on it from the deli. 
It gets easier the more foods you're able to eat.
~Angie ~

juicyprincess
on 6/22/09 5:45 am - Tacoma, WA

i am also having a protein shake problem. My surgeon wants me on clear liquids with protein shakes still. from the jump the shakes have made me so sick i would have to go lay down for over an hour. i started eating soft protein foods on my own. I have had cottage cheese (with johnnys seasoing salt now), peanut butter (too gross now), Fage (greek yogurt...i love this stuff!!), string cheese, laughing cow cheese, beans with a dash of taco sauce and egg whites. but i can only get about 1 oz (by volume NOT WEIGHT) down at a time, this makes it really hard to get all the protein i need. Oh i just tried SF protien pudding (good)....
i honestly didnt expect it to be this hard, totally underestimated it! But i am still very happy with my choice!

starting:282
6/25/09: 232.2
Most Active
Recent Topics
anyone on?
losing_it86 · 5 replies · 1411 views
NOTLosing
onyxmann · 5 replies · 1409 views
How is everyone?
EOD WIFE · 3 replies · 1287 views
132lbs gone!
thisxtooxshallxpass · 7 replies · 1143 views