How do you talk about WLS with coworker?

LCsjourney
on 5/6/09 10:21 am
I know that there are probably many who don't talk about WLS at work. But I am a pretty talkative person and also work with a nice group of people. I have still been somewhat hesitant in bringing it up. I am going out on medical leave and wanted to know how some of you have brought it up or discussed the time off with coworkers? Thanks
RNY on 5/7/09
University of Michigan
HW: 310 CW: 285 1stGW: 200 2ndGW: 150
Pre pre-op diet 4/23/09: 305
Surgery Day Weight  5/7/09: 295

iamfarfaraway
on 5/6/09 11:22 am - Charlotte, NC
With my boss and co-workers I just told them I was having a surgery and didn't mention what it was for.  I happen to work from home, but I do go into the office from time to time and have a few friends that I did tell I was having WLS, I brought up that I was going out on disability and having the surgery.  All of them were very supportive.  They all know that I have been on a diet since I had to do a 6 month weight management program and was having at least 2 Dr appts a month.  

40 lbs lost pre-op

Strawberry2
on 5/7/09 8:40 am
Well for me I am going in for revision - i am 4 years out - lost 117 but gained 35 of it back - I have been at my new job for almost 2 years now and since I was having lots of pains in my belly and also suffer from ulcers - they have seen me go up and down in weight - my surgery is next week I am taking my vaction and not going out on medical - so since my nutritionist had had me on liquids from time to time - my excuse will be that I am back on liquids.... I am talkative too but just really don't like people in my business - Jo
Kelly S.
on 5/8/09 5:19 am
I tell anyone who asks very matter of factly and if they have more questions I answer them. If they don't I leave it alone.  Good luck, hope your surgery went well.
EOD WIFE
on 5/10/09 9:42 pm - Lawton Ft Sill, OK
On May 8, 2009 at 12:19 PM Pacific Time, Kelly S. wrote:
I tell anyone who asks very matter of factly and if they have more questions I answer them. If they don't I leave it alone.  Good luck, hope your surgery went well.
I think I pretty much do the same as you Kelly. I am an open book anyways, so I have never been secretive about what I was doing and they type of WLS I was having. Everyone who knows is super supportive and behind me 150%. Even all of Hubby's soldiers know about my surgery. The unit even sent flowers to the hospital with a super sweet card. I think he tells ppl about my surgery as much as I have LOL...
I mean heck you will eventually have dropped a large amount of weight, so why not share ur happy news and new health with the world!?!?

I  MY RNY 5-5-09    Life is Good
       myxferadd.jpg picture by mikeysbrightstarboobies.gif picture by mikeysbrightstar

boogie107811
on 5/11/09 5:09 pm - Dallas, TX

At work, I just told everyone I will be out for a little while. I've preparing for the weeks of me being gone.  I let people ask why or where I'm going. I never volunteer information. I told a few ppl I'd be out for WLS and most ppl are very supportive. They ask questions and seem very understanding that it's for my health. One person asked how they can go about having the surgery. I'm semi-private. I don't try to hide anything. The way I figure things is that I'm a grown woman. Whatever I do with my body is my business no matter who likes it or not.

Most Active
Recent Topics
anyone on?
losing_it86 · 5 replies · 1418 views
NOTLosing
onyxmann · 5 replies · 1421 views
How is everyone?
EOD WIFE · 3 replies · 1297 views
132lbs gone!
thisxtooxshallxpass · 7 replies · 1154 views