Protein bars

phoenix 279
on 5/27/10 2:30 pm - Morrisville, NC
when can we start eating protein bars? which is the best one out there???

wiltedrose314
on 5/28/10 12:54 am - Falmouth, MA
i was thinking the same question last night
HW 310/SW 284.5/CW 201/GW 150

mandeepandy2001
on 5/28/10 3:38 am
yeah i also wanted to ask this i would like the idea of a protein bar for lunch on days i work because sometimes in my 12 hour shift i don't get a lunch and i figure i can nibble off of a protein bar in my pocket while i work
Lifeski
on 5/28/10 8:20 am
I have 1/2 to 1 bar a day and have been eating them for a while.  My surgery was on April 6.  I have to be careful they don't put me too far over calorie wise.  I prefer the power crunch bars.  They have one that tastes like those flakey sugar wafer cookies with peanut butter and chocolate for 200 calories and 13 grams of protein.  I would suggest if you are going to try bars go to The Vitamin Shoppe and pick up an assortment to see what you like.  I orderd my last shipment from them online and saved a fortune $6 a box compared to bariactriceating.com.  I have tried several kinds and a lot of them have a funny texture or sit funny in my stomach.  I think like shakes it is an individual thing.  Watch the calorie count of them though I saw some bars that were over 300 calories.
Teresa
HW-293                     SW-290                    

Emily F.
on 5/28/10 9:03 am
I would think there are different kinds. Like the coconut Atkins one would be easy to digest early on. I don't know about the granola type/bread ones. So far I've found sugar alcohols get my tummy a rumbling so I'm too scared to try one, though I may buy some since you brought this up.
phoenix 279
on 5/29/10 6:58 am - Morrisville, NC
ok so i went out and looked at a ton of protein bars at vitamin shop, walmart, and walgreens, and i found the most variety at walmart which was shocking as i expected the vitamin shop to have more!! in any case, i bought the atkins bars as these were the ones with the least amount of sugar...  most of their bars have 1 gram of sugar and my doctor told me to avoid foods that have more than 5 grams of sugar per servings. So this was an obvious winner in that regard. i bought the day break bars which are smaller, 1.2 oz per bar, and has 10 grams of protein, and 150 calories. only the atkins fruit bars had sugar alcohols so i steered clear of those.

SO for now i am sticking with atkins and continuing an online search for more bars that have limited sugar and calories!!

dznydiva
on 6/1/10 9:17 am
I started eating them a few days ago.  I am eating the power crunch wafer ones because they mush up fully in your mouth and have 14 grams of protein.

A dream is a wish your heart makes!   DznyDiva
HW 244/SW224/CW164/GW150

_Suzy_
on 6/1/10 12:15 pm - Lawrenceville, GA
Nut at my surgeon's office recommended "Pure Protein" brand from Costco.  I bought a box tonight - will try one tomorrow.  20 g protein per bar - they look good. 

My guideline says to start them 8 weeks post op.
Suzy

Start Weight     309    
Surgery              301
Current               206

O M G - I am down over 100#.  

_Suzy_
on 6/2/10 7:42 am - Lawrenceville, GA
I tried one today and it was pretty good..peanut butter / chocolate - Pure Protein brand.

200 calories
6g fat
2g sugar
20g protein

I ate 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 later in the day.
Suzy

Start Weight     309    
Surgery              301
Current               206

O M G - I am down over 100#.  

albertaamanda
on 6/8/10 12:02 pm - Canada
I bought one today and it was deeelish! I bought it at a rexall drugstore, it was the Jamieson brand called Slimdown-golden honey & yogurt

150 cal
5g fat
1g sugar
15g protein
Most Active
Recent Topics
Happy 3 year :)
Razzmuffin · 0 replies · 901 views
Starting Over
Lisa Y. · 5 replies · 1234 views
Hi all! 1½ yr update =)
Blue_Rattie · 1 replies · 1004 views