1 1/2 week out & sipping fluids keep causeing burps & hiccups?

kalamtykel
on 5/12/10 10:48 am
So the last few days, sipping my fluids has been a pain in the butt.  I dont want to become dehydrated but everytime i take a small sip of water i get burpy and/or i get the hiccups!  I'm starting to get annoyed with this.  Does anyone know what it means when you get the hiccups multiple times a day and always feel like you have to burb?

Just wondering....

Thanks,
Kel   

phoenix 279
on 5/12/10 11:39 am - Morrisville, NC
i had surgery 2 days before u, so we r pretty much in the same phase... i too burp multiple times every time i drink... its almost like the pouch is pushing the air out to make room for the fluids!!! so far i havent had hiccups very often, just once or twice and they went away pretty quick...

Cindya19
on 5/13/10 1:35 am - West Bend, WI
I had my RNY the same week on Monday, I was having the gurgling and burping as well after taking in water or liquid.  I started getting up and moving a little once I noticed that and also started paying attention as to whether I was taking a deep breath of air before I took in the fluid.  Found I was & now I make a conscious effort to try to not do that.  I was also told no straws because they cause extra air to get in as well.  All this these we have to figure out.  Good Luck.
kalamtykel
on 5/13/10 8:35 am
Ahh!!!  It was the STRAWS!!!!!  Thank you, thank you for reminding me.  I hadnt thought of that because i was always a straw person, i didnt intend to give it up so I had forgotten about them potentially becoming a problem.  But, here i am, saying goodbye to straws :o)

Thanks for your help!
Kel

Emily F.
on 5/13/10 9:38 am
I don't always use a straw and I get the burps. Not sure what it is.
michelly1030
on 5/16/10 4:32 am - Turlock, CA

I am a month out and I still burp and get the hiccups. I found that if I take too big of a sip, I will immediately burp. And the hiccups just come and go, even after eating food it will happen sometimes. It's totally normal. My nut said that its usually too big of sips or too much food at once and air gets trapped in between .

~Chelle~

http://www.worththeweightloss.blogspot.com/
HW: 258 SW:(248) GW:150                    
tmoni
on 5/17/10 11:39 pm - Palmetto, GA
I'm 36 days out from surgery and still have burps, gurgling, and hiccups so don't beat yourself up.  I don't take deep breaths when sipping but when I feel hungry or thirsty I get this rattling of gas pockets.  When this happens I get up and move around.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Happy 3 year :)
Razzmuffin · 0 replies · 901 views
Starting Over
Lisa Y. · 5 replies · 1234 views
Hi all! 1½ yr update =)
Blue_Rattie · 1 replies · 1004 views