excruciating pain on right side under ribs

murfy
on 5/9/10 5:06 am - Jacksonville, FL
i am 3 and a half weeks out from my open gastric bypass and gallbladder removal. since friday night, i have had the most insanely painful stabbing pain where my gallbladder used to live. i have also not had a proper bowel movement since friday morning. i drank miralax last night and this morning and still nothing. i have been drinking fluids today and not eating. the pain radiates through my back so it feels like there is a sword sticking through my ribs into my back. it does not hurt very bad if i am sitting up in bed with my legs in front of me. if i try and stand or walk, i have to hunch over.

everything has been going well with food. i have been able to tolerate everything so far with no nausea or vomiting. the only complication has been that i developed a hematoma in my incision that is not infected. it was drained on friday morning, and this other pain started late friday night. i am not sure if they are related, but somehow i don't think they are.

i have read so many posts from people saying they have had similar pains to mine. can anyone offer insight on this? i am going to call my surgeon in the morning to let him know what is going on. it feels a lot like a gall bladder attack, even though i don't have a gallbladder. is it possible to have phantom gallbladder pains?

i have also not lost anymore weight since this pain started. i actually think i have gained a half a pound.
Murf

Blue_Rattie
on 5/9/10 5:55 am
Did you have your gallbladder out with your RNY? Did they ultrasound it beforehand and see you had gallstones?

The reason I ask - I started having gallbladder probs when pregnant with my son. Whole systems slows down, stuff stays in gallbladder longer and calcifies causing gallstones. Well, when one passed when I was 38weeks pregnant with him, it got stuck at the beginninf of my pancreas backing everything up and causing me to have pancreatitis. Pain - EXCRUCIATING pain through my ribs - like they were expanding - all through my back. Tylenol, vicodin, percocet, ho****er, NOTHING helped. I ended up in labor and delivery where after three different blood tests they finally checked pancreatic enzymes which were SKYROCKETED! Normal values vor lipase and amylase are in the hundred - no more than 300 iirc. Mine were in the 30 THOUSANDS.

After they got it controlled, I ended up getting induced, had a c-section, all was good and I had surgery scheduled for 8 weeks later to have gallbladder removed. (Ironically by someone who preforms gastric bypass surgery, too, lol!)

Then 4 weeks after - you guessed it. The SAME pain - ended up in the ER because of it this time I told them to check lipase and amylase for sure because of what happened before. Results came back - I had pancreatitis again! Totally was admitted. They weren't going to let me out until it was OUT. I had an ERCP a day and half later, didn't find any stones.....that was a Wednesday. Thursday morning I had my GB out.

Soooo, long story short - if you go to the doctor, have them check lipase and amylase levels to rule out your pancreas. You can STILL have gallstones in the ducts even after your GB is out....remnants.

Many hugs, murfy!
Karen ~ Had surgery 4-13-10!! Lost 30lbs in 3months pre-op
Highest 350 ~ surgery weight 297.5 ~ current 195 ~ goal 175 (August 2012)

MzDiane
on 5/9/10 7:19 am - Apopka, FL
Wow, I still have phantom pains from my non existant gall bladder and I never thought about what Karen mentioned.  Next time mine starts up I am going to go to the ER and have them check my pancreas.  I hope that you are feeling better Murfy, I am worried about you kiddo!
(((HUGS)))
  300 lb HW / 289 lbs Pre-op /281 lbs Day Of Surgery       
murfy
on 5/9/10 7:39 am - Jacksonville, FL
i have never had those levels checked. my bariatric surgeon removed my gallbladder when he did my gastric bypass a couple of weeks ago. he said it is because eventually the gallbladder stops working correctly after gastric bypass anyway and this eliminates a second surgery. i have had gall bladder attacks before. a few months ago i had a gallbladder scan and this horrible ct scan thing where they gave me a shot to make my gallbladder freak out so they could take pictures. it was so painful. i was shaking all over for 2 hours after it was over. the tests came back fine except for that it took twice as long for my gallbladder to empty than it should have. the GI doctor did say that there could be issues with my gallbladder even though the tests came back normal and that she would suggest having it out when i got my gastric bypass.

these pains do feel a lot like a gallbladder attack except a lot more intense. i also haven't had a bowel movement since friday. i drank miralax last night and this morning and still nothing has happened. i have only been drinking liquids today with no food.

how long does it take for a gallstone to pass? should i go to the er? what are some signs that it is really serious? i am going to call my surgeon in the morning. the er here is ridiculously packed all the time and if i went right now, i know i would still be waiting by the time my surgeon opened his office in the morning. i just drank some lortab elixer and it helped a little bit.
Blue_Rattie
on 5/9/10 3:58 pm, edited 5/9/10 4:00 pm
When I had my actual gallbladder attacks - the pain lasted 5-6 hours and then I passed out (since I could breathe again!)

With my pancreatitis - it DIDN'T stop - hence me going in to L&D for the first, and the ER for the second. Well, with the ER, I KNEW what was going on and I had surgery scheduled a few weeks later anyhow.

BM might - but not likely. That would make pain all over, but it would be lower I think.

I'm in no way a doctor, but I'm leaning towards pancreas. I'd definitely call your PCP and tell them you want bloodwork done. They can put a STAT on it and get results fast. (Okay, a couple hours, but it's better than a few days!)

Check this out, too - www.ehealthmd.com/library/gallstones/gs_symptoms.html

and this one about pancreatitis - www.emedicinehealth.com/pancreatitis/article_em.htm

murfy
on 5/9/10 6:34 pm - Jacksonville, FL
this pain started out mild on friday and has increasingly become unbearable. my mom thinks it could be pancreatitis, too. if i sit still, i'm ok. if i try and walk or get up, i can't help but cry it hurts so bad.

my surgeon is 2 hours away. i am going to call him at 9am and hopefully he can order tests for me to do locally. i'm scared of what a 2 hour car ride will feel like.
Murf

Blue_Rattie
on 5/10/10 4:08 am
What did your surgeon say? Hopefully he sent you for bloodwork!!!!!

And I know what you mean about a car ride with an attack! I was in terrible pain on the 15 minutes ride to the ER.....and then the wait there I was writhing in pain! Still took them like an hour to see me!

Here I am about to pass out and ther person who has a migraine gets in before me. Uhm, triage please?? (Sidenote - I am a LONG term sufferer of intense migraines. I know the pain, sensitivity, nausea associated. However - pancreatitis and migraines? Which is more important? The headache that will go away or the pancreatitis that can kill you?)

murfy
on 5/10/10 6:03 am - Jacksonville, FL
i talked to the nurse and also my GI doctor. they have both said that this pain is from being constipated and/or having a trapped gas bubble. they told me to drink miralax and trying and get things moving again. she said that it is normal for this to happen after the type of surgery i have had. she also said that bowel pain is one of the worst pains there is. i asked her at what point should i start to worry it is a gallstone or something else and she said not to worry because this happens to everyone. your bowels take a long time to wake up and get moving like they are supposed to after surgery. and it just took a couple of weeks for it to get to the point of being this painful.

i don't have a fever, high blood pressure or blood sugar, so i am thinking everything is ok. it doesn't take away from the fact that this hurts more than healing from being cut open, but hopefully it will go away soon. my primary care doctor wants to see me tomorrow. she is going to order some blood work to check for malabsorption and pancreas issues. she also said she would give me some liquid lortab to help with the pain. so i will post more tomorrow after i know what she says. hopefully i will feel better by then.
Murf

Blue_Rattie
on 5/10/10 5:57 pm
Okay, let me know =)

thinking of you!!!!!

beautifully_broken27
on 5/9/10 2:03 pm
i could be way, way off but isn't your appendix on the right side as well? 

as others said it could be a gall stone stuck since they can get outside of your gall bladder.  if you are in bad enough pain go to the er.  i know its easier said then done, i hate going to the er.  take good care and let us know what you find out!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Happy 3 year :)
Razzmuffin · 0 replies · 901 views
Starting Over
Lisa Y. · 5 replies · 1234 views
Hi all! 1½ yr update =)
Blue_Rattie · 1 replies · 1004 views