2 weeks out and having redness and heat at incision

murfy
on 5/3/10 4:12 pm - Jacksonville, FL
i had open gastric bypass 2 weeks ago. my incision is healing so well and looks amazing. the past few days it has started itching around it, but not on the actual incision. also at the base of it, near my belly button, my skin is warm and pink and it is sore inside. actually, it is sore everywhere inside, but i feel more of a burning where the redness is. there is no fluid or even an open part of my incision. it is completely closed and doesn't look it could come apart. i am going to call my surgeon in the morning if it is still red.

has anyone had this experience and it not be an infection? could it be just because the incision is healing? or could it be infected, even though the wound isn't open? i am scared and freaking myself out by googling "red, hot incision site". everything mentions pus, but there is nothing like that.

help?
Murf

mandeepandy2001
on 5/3/10 11:02 pm
first of all try not to freak out and second i have never been comforted by googleing medical stuff there is some crazy stuff out there. you are smart to call you surgeon in the am they will be able to tell you exactly whats up, but to me it sound like it could be ok when i have had bad cuts or burns it always seemed like when it started to itch it was healing  and if the actual incision looks clean and dry that's good. you don't have a temp? talk to you doc explain the symptoms. i hope every thing is all good. please give an update after you talk to the doc.
Emily F.
on 5/4/10 4:57 am
Do you still have stitches?? My stitches itched like crazy and were red around them.

Wonderling would know about infections, she has one right now around her belly button, might want to pm her.
murfy
on 5/4/10 6:42 am - Jacksonville, FL
i had my staples out last friday. i talked to the nurse and she said since my incision is still so new, it's normal to have redness and heat around it. as long as there isn't any drainage, it should be ok she said. i have a feeling it is because of the weight from my stomach pulling down on the stitches inside. it hurts SO BAD if i bend over or roll over. i have to hold my belly or wear a binder when i walk around.
Murf

michelly1030
on 5/5/10 2:55 am - Turlock, CA
I had a little bit of that in the beginning also... My doc said unless there was puss draining and/or I had a fever not to be concerned, it was just healing... Good luck to you
~Chelle~

http://www.worththeweightloss.blogspot.com/
HW: 258 SW:(248) GW:150                    
(deactivated member)
on 5/5/10 7:26 am
I had open RNY 3 weeks ago and I had a lot of redness and swelling around my belly button. I was put on antibiotics on 4/28 and on 5/1 my belly button started oozing. On 5/2 some blood joined the oozing. I was told to wait until Monday (blood and ooz were not emergencies per the doc on call). On 5/2 I saw the doc PA and she thought the area was more swollen and red. I was given a new stronger antibiotic.

Yesterday at 10:30 am I had an explosion to say the least. I was standing up and suddenly it felt like I was pregnant and my water broke. I asked my daughter to bring me a towel. In no time the towel filled with red blood and a clear yellow fluid. My nightgown was so bloody and wet you could squeeze the fluids from it. My floor had a trail of blood leading to my bedroom.

I changed quickly and was taken to the ER. I had the bag of bloody items which looked like they came from a crime scene. I waited in the ER forever and was given morphine. My doc wanted me to walk to her office (different building, different floor). I called her office and told them I was on morphine. Did they really want me to scare the hell out of their other patients by coming in soaked in blood? I did not go up and the doctor did not come down.

I was told I had a large hematoma and seroma. The thing is it filling up again and back to leaking (think heavy period) but I am going in tomorrow. Eating and drinking makes me sick but if I don't drink they will make me stay for IV's again. The blowout yesterday made my incision open an inch. The whole area around my naval is purple and red and hurts.

I am 24 days out and was doing better at 10 days than now.

Tomorrow someone is going to listen to me. I will not be dismissed again!

murfy
on 5/5/10 6:16 pm - Jacksonville, FL
omg. i hope that doesn't happen to me, the bottom of my incision is now poking out a bit. do you think this happens around the belly button from the weight of our stomachs? are you wearing a binder? i haven't been wearing mine. i looked at my incision today and it is still closed, but looks like it has stretched a little like a stretch mark. maybe from the swelling under the skin? there is a big knot under the skin there like there is more scar tissue in the spot where it is red than anywhere else on my incision. is that how your's was?
Murf

murfy
on 5/6/10 6:43 am - Jacksonville, FL
so this has gotten more red and more sowollen. now when i look at it, i can see it poking out. if i feel around where it is red and warm, it feels like a big knot under my skin. it could be a hematoma. i have to go see my surgeon tomorrow in ocala to see what he wants to do about it. i hope it is fixed with antibiotics instead of a scalpel.
Murf

Blue_Rattie
on 5/6/10 3:15 pm
I hope it turns out okay murfy! Let us know when you are able to!
Karen ~ Had surgery 4-13-10!! Lost 30lbs in 3months pre-op
Highest 350 ~ surgery weight 297.5 ~ current 195 ~ goal 175 (August 2012)

murfy
on 5/6/10 4:38 pm - Jacksonville, FL
omg! i just took a hot bath and when i got out, there was a clear orangey liquid running down my belly. i guess the ho****er helped bring out the poison. now it won't stop leaking, but it isn't bloody or pus. it just looks like plasma. i will see how it looks in the morning and call my doctor before i drive the 2 hours to see him at 11am
Murf

Most Active
Recent Topics
Happy 3 year :)
Razzmuffin · 0 replies · 901 views
Starting Over
Lisa Y. · 5 replies · 1234 views
Hi all! 1½ yr update =)
Blue_Rattie · 1 replies · 1004 views