open rny and gallbladder removal in 1 day!!

murfy
on 4/19/10 4:38 pm - Jacksonville, FL
it's finally here!! my open rny and gallbladder removal is april 21. i am terrified out of my mind. i like being very prepared and knowing exactly what the plan is and what will happen, and this feels like i have no control. i just can't fathom what life will be like after surgery. but i am excited. just scared.

i go for my endoscopy and post-op nutrition class in the morning. and then tomorrow my open RNY is scheduled at 6am. wow. i'm not sure when i will be able to post after surgery. will be bringing my laptop. hopefully they have wi-fi there. i am staying in a bariatric suite with my girlfriend and mom. i think they will be taking turns staying with me on the fold out couch.

i have rheumatoid arthritis and lupus and i am very anemic. on a normal day, i have a hard time getting around, so i can't help but worry about what recovering from an open rny and gallbladder removal will be like. my mom wants me to stay with her after i get out of the hospital, so she can take care of me. but i think being comfortable in my own home with my dogs, girlfriend and my space will probably be the best thing for my recovery. my partner is a chef and she works at night. i should be ok by myself in the evenings, right?

how many of you needed someone to take care of you after your surgery and for how long?

i am sure i am over planning and everything will go smoothly and fine and i will be healed in know time.
Murf

Kim5515
on 4/19/10 9:28 pm - Bonney Lake, WA
I'm having my surgery today, but mine is lap.  I'm having a RNY, hernia repaired and gallbladder removal.  In fact, leaving for the hospital in a few minutes.

Best of luck on your surgery tomorrow !!  We'll both feel better by the end of the week!

Sending positive thoughts your way !

Kim  
HW 315 /CW 152/ GW 148

kitycat58
on 4/20/10 2:25 am, edited 4/20/10 2:26 am
Good luck with your surgery tomorrow.  I think its great you have the support of both your partner and your mom.  Is there a way of staying with your mom the first couple of evening alone?  And back with your partner when she is home?  Might be alot of juggling..but having open is a little more in need of help I believe.  I have had open when I had my gallbladder out (many years ago, then lap with the rny). Either way you should be ok.  Just don't let the dogs jump up on you.  Mine walked right across my tummy when I got home.  No damage, but ouch! See you on the other side and have a speedy recovery...
Emily F.
on 4/20/10 5:54 am
I'm in Jville too. Congrats on surgery, but with RA wouldn't not taking NSAIDS hurt you?

I stayed for 11 days with someone taking care of me. Really the worst part was getting comfortable in bed. By the 12 th day I could turn in bed fine.

It really depends on you. I went back to work in under 2 weeks and felt good.
For great WLS info join me here  www.dsfacts.com
murfy
on 4/20/10 11:55 am - Jacksonville, FL
hey there. i am allergic to NSAIDs, so that has been hard. but now i have an even better reason that i can't take them. i have a lot of pain. i just take morphine, which doesn't take away most of if.. i am hoping that after surgery, my pain will be cut down and hopefully i can stop taking the pain meds.
Murf

Blue_Rattie
on 4/20/10 8:11 pm
Good luck today Murf!!! I'm thinking of ya!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Happy 3 year :)
Razzmuffin · 0 replies · 901 views
Starting Over
Lisa Y. · 5 replies · 1234 views
Hi all! 1½ yr update =)
Blue_Rattie · 1 replies · 1004 views