RNY question for those that had one!

chrissyce
on 4/17/10 2:18 pm

I had a laproscopic RNY 4/5 and the incision by the belly button is not doing so well. I had such a terrible experience with the hospital where I had my surgery, I dread driving 3.5 hours back just to be stuck with them again. My GP made an appt for me with my surgeon who is out of town until tuesday. I am wanting to just call my insurance monday and see if I can transfer to someone here.. I trust the hospitals here.

Has anyone else has this issue? They had to cut it back open an inch to let it drain because of how infected it is. I'm back on antibiotics and am changing the gauze every hour I'm awake.

Christine

Kim5515
on 4/18/10 1:02 am - Bonney Lake, WA
I wish I had good advice for you, but I'm still pre-op.  When I did talk to the nurse advocate the other day, she did tell me that the belly button incision would be the worse.   My notes say that the incision will be leaking a pink fluid, which is normal, just change the gauze is it bothers me and let it leak.

My notes also say to call the surgeon if there is pain, swelling, true redness, green fluid or puffiness around the incision.  Since you are on antibiotics, I'm assuming you do have an infection.

Is your GP have a walk in clinic that you can go to?  So sorry you had a bad experience with the hospital.  Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Kim  
HW 315 /CW 152/ GW 148

vmell6224
on 4/19/10 3:13 am - Palm Bay, FL
Hi Chrissy,
I had surgery the same day as you did. Had laproscopic RNY in Mexico. (I live in FL)
This is my 3rd Laproscopic surgery (including failed lapband 2006) and I have NEVER had such an issue with any of the incisions. It doesn't sound good to me and I wouldn't wait until Tuesday for an appt, why didn't your GP see you? If you aren't feeling well go to the emergency room changing the dressing every hour is NOT good...

I am not able to go back to my surgeon (him being In Mexico - so far away), however I had an appt with my primary care physician on Friday. I gave him copies of my surgery report. He checked my incisions said they were healing great.

Please keep me posted and blessings!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Happy 3 year :)
Razzmuffin · 0 replies · 901 views
Starting Over
Lisa Y. · 5 replies · 1234 views
Hi all! 1½ yr update =)
Blue_Rattie · 1 replies · 1004 views