Dad telling everyone he meets :(

Emily F.
on 4/16/10 4:08 am
I'm open about my surgery, people at work know, friends, family. I didn't really tell that many people at work, word just got around (small town). My dad basically told my entire family even the people we don't see often (they live two states away). I did update my blog a lot bc a family member is the one who loaned me the money so I wanted to keep her updated, mostly only family visit that blog, not friends and stuff.  My dad leaves the next town over.  He called me and apologized saying he didn't realize I might not want everyone to know. I wasn't sure how that came up and just said its fine. I thought he had only told his friends and family. No big time.

Today I went to the county office and two EX co workers whom I really DISLIKE started asking me about my surgeon and how brave I am for going to Mexico (aka stupid, lol).  I am so furious that my dad went out of his way to tell these people. We no longer work with them on a side job so I have no clue why he would even bring it up.

I know now that he MUST have told, literally, everyone he came into contact with. He must have felt guilty and that is why he apologized. I didn't realize how deep this problem went. He already feels guilty so I hate to bring this up, especially since its a little too late to do anything but I'm pretty pissed. If it weren't THESE people.

Oh well.
For great WLS info join me here  www.dsfacts.com
MommyosaRose
on 4/16/10 4:38 am
Hi Emily! I'm glad to see that you are doing well withthe surgery and going back to work already! :)

I know how you feel about having everyone know about your surgery; my mother-in-law (to whom I am very close) is doing the same and though it doesn't really bother me much, I feel that this is a personal subject and we should be the ones offering the information when the time is right. 

I know that she hasn't told many people; the people she told have told others and this is spreading like wildfire!  LOL  Perhaps that was the case with your father as well.  My mother-in-law is so excited for me that she wanted to share the news with some family members...well, they just ran with it. 

xoxoxo
Rose
LadySteeler
on 4/16/10 4:40 am - Clayton, NC
I totally understand... I had to get on my grandmother for the exact same thing this week.  I asked her why she was telling folks, and she said that someone was asking about me and she was "updating them".  I told her that my health history is not a topic for discussion and it was mine to share, not hers.  She said that she didn't know it was a secret.  I told her that it wasn't a secret, but its no one's business... and certainly not hers to share! 

I think that you should make those who love you understand that this is yours to share, and if others want to know what is going on with you (this matter or any other for that fact), then they should tell the folks to call YOU!

I totally empathize.

And that's what I have to say about that right there....

kitycat58
on 4/16/10 6:06 am
So sorry your father took the liberty of sharing your information.  It should be yours to share. 

I was so excited I think I told everyone I knew about my surgery.  And those that were against it; well, its not their life so.. too bad.  But I could see how this could cause an issue between you and your dad.  I'm sorry you were not able to express to him prior that YOU wanted to be the one to decide who knows and who doesn't.  But its too late for that.  I no longer have my dad here to share it with; so maybe count that blessing instead.  Be happy.
Emily F.
on 4/16/10 9:19 am
Thanks, I know he feels bad. He doesn't have a whole lot good going on in his life so I'm not too hard on him. My hubby is going trail riding tomorrow so I'm taking the kids over to my parents' to help me out a little. I'll smooth it over then. Thanks guys, I am a lucky girl to have such a supportive dad! :)
For great WLS info join me here  www.dsfacts.com
deltapearl
on 4/16/10 11:37 pm - Lewisville, TX
RNY on 04/26/10 with
Thanks for this post about being lucky to have a supportive dad.  It was a very good reminder to me!

I too had this issue come up yesterday when I found out that my dad (who still lives in the town I grew up in, although I do not) had seen one of my teachers from high school and felt the need to share the details with him...really???  my mom said that he is telling everyone else I am having "elective surgery" which I think is hilarious.  I can only imagine that there would be a lot of different ideas about what that would be and how the small town rumor mill must be turning.

I am very open with people in  my present about what I'm doing but for whatever reason I don't feel comfortable sharing it with people from the past.  But too late :)

The other thing that I have to remind myself is that my dad needs support too in this and he gets a lot of support by talking to other people.  If he can't share it with people then I guess I'm denying him what he needs in a way, so I'm trying to be understanding.  But, it is a little aggravating :)
Most Active
Recent Topics
Happy 3 year :)
Razzmuffin · 0 replies · 901 views
Starting Over
Lisa Y. · 5 replies · 1234 views
Hi all! 1½ yr update =)
Blue_Rattie · 1 replies · 1004 views