surgery in 5 days and i feel unprepared!

murfy
on 4/15/10 2:27 pm - Jacksonville, FL
i have 5 days until my open rny. i am excited, but terrified. i feel unprepared. is that normal? i mean, i know what i am supposed to do after surgery, but it's hard to really grasp what life will be like after. or what it will really be like to only drink my food. i'm scared! help!
Murf

drjudi
on 4/16/10 1:16 am - Concord, CA
In the week and a half since my surgery I have come to the conclusion that this whole process is in many ways like being pregnant.  You feel huge and miserable.  You know it won't last but it seems to take forever to get through it.  You also get a lot of instructions about what to do and it is hard to keep them all straight.  You also can never feel completely prepared.  You know your life will change and it is scary, but exciting at the same time.  But do not worry because when the time comes whatever is not done will get done.  And the changes to your life will be wonderful.

Following the liguid diet is boring, but not as hard as you think it will be.  You will feel different about it after the surgery.  Drinking all your food will only last a few weeks. 

I know it is scarey, but it will be ok.

Kim5515
on 4/16/10 6:22 am - Bonney Lake, WA
I know what you're feeling.  I got my "5 days until surgery" email from OH yesterday and it freaked me out.  I know the date in my brain... just seeing it in my email startled me.

I have my instructions, I have my lists made out, I have my protein, jello, popcycles, etc.  I have some liquid vitamins, but didn't want to spend a fortune until I better know what I will be able to swallow and what I won't be able to tolerate.

I talked with the nurse advocate from the hospital the other night and she gave me some good advice. She said to bring about 1/2 what I was planning to bring because I just won't need it.  No bathrobe - won't fit over IV.  No personal night gowns - same reason.  No slippers needed, they give you the socks with anti skid on them.   She said I could bring my laptop, but wouldn't feel like using it.... since I"m only staying one night, I think I agree with her.  If I need it later, DH can bring it.

LIfe afterwards?  I'll take it a day at a time. 

Best of luck !!

Kim  
HW 315 /CW 152/ GW 148

Razzmuffin
on 4/16/10 11:39 am - Collinsville, IL
I am also just a few days away from surgery. Scared is an understatement. I mean I have read and informed myself, prepared, and been on liquids for 11 days and I am so ready for food even if it is bland eggs or blended soups. I have to stay 2 nights so I will have my laptop for sure. But mental preparation? I think you just have to wing it...I know what I want, why I want it, and what I have gone through just to get to this point, but now that it is close?? I am freaking out about pain...whether or not I will be better in time to go back to work when I want to, will I change my tastes enough to hate the proteins I have on hand at home, complications... you name it I think about it. But I wouldn't change my mind for anything So good luck to us See you all on the other side !!

murfy
on 4/16/10 1:16 pm - Jacksonville, FL
we are definitly feeling the same things then! i have those fears, too. it's good to know i am not alone in these feelings. i was worried that maybe i was getting cold feet or something. but i see that being scared is normal. i get more nervous the closer it gets. i'm afraid i'm going to freak out and have a panic attack when it's time to go to the hospital.
Murf

mehollid
on 4/17/10 10:06 pm - Altamonte Springs, FL
I'm super afraid also.  I worked hard to get to this point and I have to remind myself as the days get closer why I decided to do this.  I have never been so nervous about anything in my life.  Half of me is afraid of losing the weight as silly as that sounds.  Or losing the weight so rapidly.  All I can think of is The movie Thinner.  Of course its not the same thing but all these irrational fears are just popping up all over the place and I wish they would just Go away!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Happy 3 year :)
Razzmuffin · 0 replies · 901 views
Starting Over
Lisa Y. · 5 replies · 1234 views
Hi all! 1½ yr update =)
Blue_Rattie · 1 replies · 1004 views