Made it, but am sad to say I would not recomment anyone to use the same hospital I did.

chrissyce
on 4/11/10 9:00 pm
I made it through my surgery fine. Dr. Rohrer is great. There was one nurse, one cna that were great but very overworked. One nursed looked like she was walking the halls of a prison, struttin' around like her poop didn't stink like the rest of us.
Oh, they kept forgetting my meds, never bothered giving me vitamins or giving me clear liquids to drink. My surgery was the Monday, 4/5 and the first time my sister didn't  have to ask them to bring my broth was thursday morning. I would recommend my doc but had such a bad experience with Benefis Hosp in Great Falls that I would not recommend them. Glad I had my big sis to watch them and make sure I did get most of my meds. Their poor care of me is probably why I had pneumonia in the lowest part of left lung!
On a side note, did anyone else gain weight? I was higher after surgery than before I started my preop diet!
Kim5515
on 4/12/10 1:52 am - Bonney Lake, WA
So glad you made it through the surgery and got some good care from your sister... Sounds like the nurses sucked... I'm glad you gave some feedback to your doc.  I'm sorry you had to go through that.

I'm still pre op myself, but I have read alot of posts saying you can gain up to 10 pounds when you have the surgery due to the liquids pumped into you to keep you hydrated.  I think it is normal and it comes off pretty quickly.

I've also read posts warning to stay off the scale until your one week check up with your doctor.  Not sure I'll be able to do that, but it helps knowing that weight gain is normal in the first week or so.

Take Care !

Kim  
HW 315 /CW 152/ GW 148

chrissyce
on 4/12/10 6:38 am
The CNA's walked you to the scales. I think they kept it in kilos thinking I wouldn't know how my weight would convert into kilos. I made so many typos last night, still on pain meds!
I think it depends on each person/surgury type. Everyone talks about being constipated but I have been exact opposite since being home. The most comfortable position I can be in is standing/walking. I think when the JP drain comes out tomorrow, that will change.
I am very excited because thats when the real fun starts! 2 weeks after JP's removal, I get to start my water exercises again.

Good luck,
Chrissy
kitycat58
on 4/12/10 6:45 am
I was 9lbs heavier when I left the hospital than when I wieghed in.  And it saddens me to think you had such poor care in the hospital.  I would see if they have a customer relations dept and also give the hospital itself feedback.    Good thing you had your sis along to be your caretaker.  Did they give you a spirometer to help prevent (signs) of pneumonia?  I am home and still use mine.  It makes me take that deep breath I otherwise forget to do. BTW 1 week out and the 9lbs are gone now.
chrissyce
on 4/12/10 7:01 am
Yes, I have been using that breathing machine 10 x every hour I'm awake! I took mine home also because when they told me you should be able to easily reach 25000, I though, not even on a good day. Congrats on the weightloss, it is exciting.

The surgeon said that I can do body band exercises which I'm waiting until the drain comes out, tomorrow! I think that will get rid of the majority of my pain. But I have lost the surgery weight plus 6. I am so excited for summer! I want to do a road trip to San Diego!

Chrissy

spragan
on 4/12/10 2:40 pm
I was heavier after surgery, too. The bed actually weighs you! They say it's from the gas buildup from the surgery. Sorry about your sucky care!!! At least your sister was there to help!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Happy 3 year :)
Razzmuffin · 0 replies · 901 views
Starting Over
Lisa Y. · 5 replies · 1234 views
Hi all! 1½ yr update =)
Blue_Rattie · 1 replies · 1004 views