Cant have Splenda, Equal, Sweet n Low..now what??

michelly1030
on 4/11/10 11:47 am - Turlock, CA
Im not sure how many other people are in the same boat as me, but ANY of the aritificial sweeteners make me sick... vomiting and gas... really sick like the flu! I had 2 sugar free popsicles yesterday (hours apart) and felt ok, then it hit... UGH. I'm not doing that again.

I am wondering wth I am going to drink and eat on my 1 wk post op liquid diet, crystal light, sugar free popsicles, sugar free jello (premade w/splenda) are out  of the questions. Guess it's broth and water...any other ideas?? I bought some sugar free koolaid, gonna make a pitcher and add Truvia.
~Chelle~

http://www.worththeweightloss.blogspot.com/
HW: 258 SW:(248) GW:150                    
kitycat58
on 4/11/10 12:28 pm
Can you ask your doctor about applejuice diluted with water? how much to dilute it with.  My doc oked 3 water to 1 apple juice..(limited amounts) And if its ok, maybe freeze it for a popsicle?
kitycat58
on 4/11/10 12:29 pm
Oh, also, sorry you are having this issue.  I am feeling very fortunate.  It would be nice to find some things made with Truvia.  That is also my choice of sweetner.
Rachel Box
on 4/11/10 1:53 pm - St Petersburg, FL
 I get terrible migraine headaches from artificial sweeteners as well.  I've been trying to overcome it but my Dr. says it may be an allergy.  My Mom has the same thing happen to her.  I have been doing the broth and water thing as well.  Good idea about the diluted apple juice...I will ask my surgeon about that as well.  Keep me posted if you find anything else that works for you.
 Me (30), Hubby (34)
Surgery date April 13th!!!
RNY
Type II diabetes, PCOS and high blood pressure

bacon1975
on 4/12/10 1:44 am - Minneapolis, MN
It's best to ask your doctor, but my surgeon said diluted apple juice was fine as long as it was 50/50 diluted.  I don't tolerate it because even 50/50 is too sweet and makes me sick.  They gave me the diluted apple juice the day after surgery in the hospital.  Rachel, check out my other post about Sobe Lifewaters.  Seriously I have no idea what I would do without them!  (No, I don't sell them, own stock, or profit in any way from their sale...I just love them)

Lifeski
on 4/11/10 6:41 pm
I too was having lots of trouble with the artificial sweetners so I came off of them.    Crystal light makes a sports drink that uses pure cane juice aka sugar but it only has 15 calories a serving.  Hubby found it with the other crystal lights.  I also went to regular popsicles and orange sherbert.  Jay Robb protien drinks use Stevia which is natural also.  I go back to my doctor tomorrow but my biggest challenge has been staying hydrated.  I guess I had had a bypass these options might not be there for me but they stopped a whole lot of intestinal issues in their tracks and got moving toward recovery.
Teresa
HW-293                     SW-290                    

Emily F.
on 4/12/10 1:32 am
I can have fruit juices too, maybe try that?
bacon1975
on 4/12/10 1:40 am - Minneapolis, MN
I can't tolerate most artificial sweeteners either.  Truvia is the only one that doesn't bother my stomach.  I am a huge huge huge fan of Sobe LifeWater!!!   It's got no sugar, no carbs, no calories, no added sweeteners, and it doesn't taste like rot.  I love the stuff.  I'm now 4 days post op, and Sobe's are about the only thing I've been having.  I can do sugar free popsicles, but only once in awhile, so Sobe's have been a lifesaver.  I love the black and blueberry, strawberry dragonfruit, mango, and lemonade flavored.  Pre-op you have to watch the colored ones because you shouldn't have anything red or purple.  I would avoid the pomegranate, or yumberry as they taste like perfume smells...but overall I've had great experience with Sobes.  They also make ones infused with Vitamin B.  Best of luck to you.  You are not alone!!

michelly1030
on 4/12/10 3:02 am - Turlock, CA
I love the VItamin Water Zero and Sobe Lifewaters! Totally was forgetting about those! Thanks for reminding me Bacon, how are you feeling?

Rachel- we are both tomorrow! Good luck to you! Keep us updated on how you are doing!!
~Chelle~

http://www.worththeweightloss.blogspot.com/
HW: 258 SW:(248) GW:150                    
bacon1975
on 4/12/10 3:58 am - Minneapolis, MN
I like the Sobe's now post-op even better than I did before!  I'm glad you like them. Target has their Market Pantry brand sugar free on-the-go drink mixes and they aren't that bad either.  I haven't gotten a headache or a bad reaction from them.  The grape kind of tastes like watered down kool-aid.  

I'm doing great!  Thank you for asking.  It really wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.  Everyone is different and responds to pain differently, but for me...the worst two things were the Lovenox shot to the belly in the pre-op area, and the gas pain/chest pain when I got back to the room afterwards.   The nurses told me that they brought me to my room way too soon, and that I shouldn't have been in that much pain once I was on the unit!  The pain from the incisions are nothing compared to those 2 things.  I've been home almost exactly 48 hours now and I've already been shopping twice.  (It's good to walk walk walk!)  

You and Rachel will be fine!  I look forward to your posts from the other side.  Please keep me posted!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Happy 3 year :)
Razzmuffin · 0 replies · 901 views
Starting Over
Lisa Y. · 5 replies · 1234 views
Hi all! 1½ yr update =)
Blue_Rattie · 1 replies · 1004 views