SERIOUSLY!!!???

Rachel Box
on 4/9/10 3:17 pm - St Petersburg, FL
 Okay, so I need to rant for a moment.  I am scheduled for surgery in 4 days, the 13th...no problems there.  Problem is that I have PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) and I MAYBE have 2 periods a year.  I guess it's from the pre-op diet, but I started my period today!!!  I know this is a silly question, but...do you think they will go ahead  with the surgery if I am having my period?  
 Me (30), Hubby (34)
Surgery date April 13th!!!
RNY
Type II diabetes, PCOS and high blood pressure

susan irizarry
on 4/9/10 4:49 pm - Port St. Lucie, FL
VSG on 04/12/10 with
I don't see any reason thay would not. I am a RN and we do surgery on pt's at "that time" I think it would only affect if you were anemic or your iron was very low. I get sleeved on the 12th,I will be thinking of you and keep you in my prayers.

CandaceHasCurves
on 4/9/10 9:46 pm - Alexandria, VA
I had surgery when I was on my period before--appendectomy--so yes, they can and do still do surgeries even if it is that time of the month. :) Just make sure to tell your nurse so no one freaks out about blood in the urine...:)

Candace
Kim5515
on 4/9/10 11:50 pm - Bonney Lake, WA
Funny, I asked my doctor about that yesterday, since the timing is right (or wrong ??) for me too on the 20th.  He said no problem, just let us know.

Bet it's the nerves or excitement, or the liquid diet.  I think our bodies are very confused right now.

Take care and have a great Saturday !

Kim  
HW 315 /CW 152/ GW 148

kwkelly
on 4/10/10 12:26 am
I started my period while I was in the hospital getting the surgery even though I was not due to start for another 10 days. The nurses said that happens alot because of nerves and the changes our body is going through!

(deactivated member)
on 4/10/10 1:40 am
I was having my period when I had a historectomy. About the only time you should not be on your period is when you are having your period.
Rachel Box
on 4/10/10 2:56 am - St Petersburg, FL
Whew...thank you all so much!! I feel better now.  I don't know why I was so worried about all og that.  :-)  Thank you all for your responses.  It's nerves getting the best of me. 
MugsyMann
on 4/11/10 7:24 am - Keller, TX
 i read this yesterday and was in the same boat as far as not having had one in 6 months.  guess who showed up today, the day before my surgery! UGH!  And yea they will go ahead with it, just be sure to give them the heads up!
Kim C.
on 4/11/10 7:55 am - Austin, TX
I asked my nurse about it during my preop appointment because I'm scheduled to start the day before surgery.  One positive aspect is that I'll have some great painkillers to deal with the cramps!

Highest 319/Surgery 293//Goal 150        
Most Active
Recent Topics
Happy 3 year :)
Razzmuffin · 0 replies · 901 views
Starting Over
Lisa Y. · 5 replies · 1234 views
Hi all! 1½ yr update =)
Blue_Rattie · 1 replies · 1004 views