Bowel Prep???

pslady
on 4/11/10 3:11 am - Burbank, CA

Did you bowel prep the day before surgery??? My surgery is Monday and my surgeon's group said I don't need to bowel prep and gave me a diet to follow the day before surgery.  My primary care doc thinks I should bowel prep.  Have to say I'm not looking forward to it and the diet looks a lot more appetizing.  Any insight???

Kim5515
on 4/11/10 3:21 am - Bonney Lake, WA
My doctor doesn't require bowel prep the day before surgery.  However, he does require a 2 week liquid diet prior to surgery, so I would guess he gets the same results, just takes longer !

Kim  
HW 315 /CW 152/ GW 148

gamecaco4
on 4/11/10 6:09 am - Southwest, MI
I was on a 2 week liquid diet and still had to do the bowel prep.  Believe me, there was still plenty of bowel left to prep if ya know what I mean.

Mel

No one can make you feel inferior without your permission.

My WLS blog -- gamecaco4.wordpress.com/

kitycat58
on 4/11/10 4:37 am
Had an RNY..Doc had me drink a bottle of Citrate of Magnisium the night before.  Was totally empty by the next morning for sure.  But it was not awful.
Emily F.
on 4/11/10 6:02 am
No bowel prep but I did have a five day liquid diet and had a small bm the morning of surgery. I doubt there was anything else in there because I only had jello once or twice a day and crystal light.

I would seriously question no prep whatsoever, they are rearranging your intestines and if any 'poo' gets in your abdomen cavity, that is some serious infection-life threatening.

If I were in your shoes, I would be proactive and get a bottle of miralax at the drug store and take it in gatorade (or whatever liquid your doc approves). I would have done it on Saturday since it wasn't on the 1 day diet.

But of course it comes down to trusting your surgeon. If you truly believe in his opinion, then just follow his directions. Good luck and I'll look for your update!
For great WLS info join me here  www.dsfacts.com
pslady
on 4/11/10 6:39 am - Burbank, CA
Thanks everyone!  I'm going to try to squeeze it all in today.; the NUT's diet AND the bowel prep.  At least I'll be covering all my bases.  Had the diet's breakfast and at 2:30PM CA time I going to start drinking this huge jug of something that looks like nasty tasting watery stuff.  Oh well, it's worth the price in the end, better safe than sorry.  Then 2-3 hours later, I can continue the liquid diet for today.

----Good luck to all those on the road to surgery and to those who have gone before us! ---

MugsyMann
on 4/11/10 7:20 am - Keller, TX
 i have been on a mostly liquid diet pre op with surgery being tomorrow as well.  my surgeon didn't recommend any bowel prep but i am doing one anyway.  cant help but think it'll make things easier after the surgery.
Blue_Rattie
on 4/11/10 8:51 am
My surgeon said bowel prep wasn't needed (I asked him) because they aren't working on the large intestine. He just said to eat light. I put myself on a self-imposed liquid diet for today and tomorrow. Also took a laxative/stool softener yesterday afternoon to make sure it's fairly empty.
Karen ~ Had surgery 4-13-10!! Lost 30lbs in 3months pre-op
Highest 350 ~ surgery weight 297.5 ~ current 195 ~ goal 175 (August 2012)

(deactivated member)
on 4/11/10 9:07 am
I am on the bowel prep now. The drink you take is absolutely awful. I had to do this twice today because it seemed like the first one wasn't working. You can guess what I am now doing every 10 minutes or less....
pslady
on 4/11/10 10:36 am - Burbank, CA
I feel your pain...I'm going like mad!  Uuuhhhh, twice!  I can't even imagine.  Good luck tomorrow!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Happy 3 year :)
Razzmuffin · 0 replies · 901 views
Starting Over
Lisa Y. · 5 replies · 1234 views
Hi all! 1½ yr update =)
Blue_Rattie · 1 replies · 1004 views