Revising from LB to RNY April 6

sghatl
on 4/2/10 6:42 am - Lilburn, GA
Hello.  I have a surgery date of April 6 for my revision surgery.  We are hoping I can be revised to an RNY at that time.  I could wake up with the bypass, a new band or nothing depending on the condition of my stomach.  My band has been successful as far as weight loss goes but I have a dilated pouch without band slippage.  I have been totally unfilled since last September but have not gained any weight.  I have stricture and lots of restriction without anything in the band.  I can hardly eat anything and I live on a soft diet.  I have such terrible reflux that I can't eat after 4 or drink anything after 6 if I want anywhere near a good night's sleep.  Reflux has given me pneumonia once from ingesting the reflux.  I am so tired of living like this.  I sure hope the RNY fixes a lot of this.

I have done so much research on the LB over the past three years that I don't know much about the RNY.  What can I expect the hospital stay to be like?  I have heard there is a drain.  I have been told I will stay at least 2 nights.  Those of  you who had this revision done, can you compare the two surgeries.  The LB was a breeze to me - no pain meds at all were needed in the hospital or at home.  I bounced back quite quickly despite my age (was 66 at the time of LB surgery). 

I am only 12 pounds from my original goal which will put me at the top of 'fat' chart and no longer obese.  I am 40 pounds away from the recommended weight for my height (4' 11'').  I am having the revision for maintenance not for losing a lot of weight.
Total Weight Loss Journey since 02/07

lap band  12/06/07                  Shirley
revision to RNY 04/06/10 (w167)
H335/S(LB)268/S(GP)167/C148/145 
sghatl
on 4/2/10 7:09 am - Lilburn, GA
I just posted before and after pictures.
Total Weight Loss Journey since 02/07

lap band  12/06/07                  Shirley
revision to RNY 04/06/10 (w167)
H335/S(LB)268/S(GP)167/C148/145 
chrissyce
on 4/2/10 7:01 pm
I hope your able to have the RNY like you want. I am scheduled for one on 4/5. I know I will have a drain that will be removed 7 days after by my GP. It helps you heal, decreases swelling and if it's like other drains I'm thinking of,  it helps with keeping infection down. If those fluids aren't removed, your body has to expend energy reasborbing and filtering yjr,/ 

You might read about people waking up with a nasotube still in place but after talking to the bariatric hosp today, I was told it rarely happens anymore.

I also found out that we should be able to do isometric exercises as long as the resistance isn't over 10lbs. My physical therapist has me using the therabands.

Good luck!
Chrissy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Happy 3 year :)
Razzmuffin · 0 replies · 901 views
Starting Over
Lisa Y. · 5 replies · 1234 views
Hi all! 1½ yr update =)
Blue_Rattie · 1 replies · 1004 views