Self-Imposed Pre-Surgery Diet

Ryanelp80
on 3/24/10 6:38 am
It's doing well, actually...

My surgeon didn't ask me to lose any weight, but I thought it might be a good idea to try and start skrinking my stomache, not to mention my liver, now, so I started on a protein shake for breakfast, a pre-made Believe Vanilla Creme Brulee drink for lunch and chicken and veggies for dinner. So far I have lost a pound a day for the last 4 days. Oh, I have also been walking a mile a day every day as well. It seems to be working for me, so I'm gonna keep at it... With any luck, I'll be 10 pounds down by my surgery date!!! Since I started this whole process, I've lost 10 pounds... which could have been more, honestly, but I kinda had a "Farewell Food" month or two where I was eating burgers and fries and stuff that I knew I was probably going to miss. But, either way, if I'm 10 or 15 pounds down, it's better than nothing and a LOT better than gaining (which could jeopardize my surgery date)... so I'm a happy girl!
Emily F.
on 3/24/10 9:01 am
Yeah, I'm with you. My doc requires 3-5 days liquid but I just decided to do two weeks low carb and then the 3-5 days. I BLEW it the first day, major binge on leftovers from my last supper on Sunday. lol

I haven't weighed again but I definitely feel thinner. I've also stopped sodas but I've done well on that.

Good for you and it will be here before you know it!

Yay us!
(deactivated member)
on 3/25/10 6:02 am
I am joining your club and trying to do my best before the surgery even though I don't really have a pre-op diet. I am going on full liquids full time today. I have been on full liquids every other day since Feb 24. Can you believe I only lost 5 pounds? I sure need the help of WLS.

I am having one farewell dinner on Sunday. My husband is out of town and when he comes home he is taking me to Red Lobster and I am going to get the great big seafood dinner with all the fried shrimp, fish and other stuff.
Emily F.
on 3/25/10 9:06 am
Well, I got a big wake up call, the doctor FINALLY sent me the pre op diet and it was stricter than I thought. It is basically low carb, no suger but also had no cheese and dairy. They also said protein shakes were too thick and should be avoided. weird. I thought I was being so good getting a jump start.
jedi3884
on 3/26/10 9:10 pm
Ryanelp80,
that is great that you are focused for your success.  I started on 3/22 with my diet a 1200 calorie low fat until day before surgery.  I kinda did what you did with my farewell foods.  My favorite home food is meatloaf and potatoes.  So I am doing good now I feel confident that I can return to eating some of the things I klike now.  It will just be in smaller amounts which is ok for me.   I have been trying various samples of powders, and have settled for a few so far.  My favorite so far is Protowhey Vanilla Creme.  It has a malt flavor to it, so it feels like I am cheating with a milkshake but its just protein. 
Getting out everyday is important also so thats great your doing it now.  The more routine that is now will get you moving right after surgery, and thats what its all about getting and feeling healthy.  Keep up the great work and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers as your big day approaches.

James 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Happy 3 year :)
Razzmuffin · 0 replies · 901 views
Starting Over
Lisa Y. · 5 replies · 1234 views
Hi all! 1½ yr update =)
Blue_Rattie · 1 replies · 1004 views