What are you doing to prepare?

Emily F.
on 3/12/10 9:14 am
D Day is coming fast and furious. What are you doing to prepare?  I saw the post on the main board about taking vitamins and eating more protein. Are you guys doing this? Where are you buying your vitamins? I haven't started doing anything, I'm going out of country for my surgery and so far they haven't communicated pre op instructions. Guess I'll be getting those on Monday!! So what else should we be doing?
(deactivated member)
on 3/12/10 10:15 am
You probably won't want all the things I am packing since you are traveling. My hospital is 6 tenths of a mile from my home.

I want every moment of my pre-op and post-op to be positive and cheerful. Maybe I won't feel so good after but at least I will have a good attitude about it.

I am so excited that I couldn't wait to start my post-op regimen. The support group leader said everyone should do their post-op regimen pre-op because it gives you practice and after surgery you know what to do.

I started doing the post-op diet every other day 6 weeks ago. Now I am doing it every day. I freeze my protein shakes in very small containers and freeze them. It takes a long time to eat them this way. To get my water in I bought an interval timer. It vibrates or beeps. I have it set for 3 minutes to remind me to have about an ounce of water every three minutes or if I am eating I only take a small bite every 3 minutes. It took me forever to find this kind of timer. I didn't want to have to reset a timer every time I use it. This one will vibrate or beep every 3 minutes (or however many minutes you want) up to 99 times when you program it. Also you can set it for 2 time intervals for something like exercise bikes (3 minutes then 5 minutes). Sorry to go on with this but it's the answer to absent mindedness.

I bought so many little things to keep me excited and motivated for the surgery.

Toddler Plate
A Few Small Colorful Dishes (to make my meals seem special)
Toddler Eating Utensils
About 40 Tiny Containers (I want a bunch more so I can cook a normal meal and split it up into a bunch of WLS meals and freeze them)
Handheld Blender that has a removable bender shaft for easy cleaning
Metal Shake Container for Blending Shakes
I stocked up on Soft Foods
Nutrition Scale (This is too cool, checkout my product review on my profile)

I have been taking my vitamins for 6 weeks and started taking the post-op amount when I started the post-op diet.

To my surprise I have lost 16 pounds and fast. I couldn't loose a pound before.

I am wearing sweats to and from the hospital (same pair).

Things I Have

First I know I am bringing a lot of things but who cares. It's better to bring too much instead of too little. When I go camping I take everything but the kitchen sink.

Ear Plugs (to sleep better)
Sleep Mask (one of those black things you see in the movies cost $3.00)
Hospital Scrub Pants (you wear two hospital gowns reversed with the scrubs)
Gas X strips
Chap-stick
Oasis mouth spray (moistens a dry mouth)
Book about WLS
Novel that I have already read so I know it's good
DVD (you can watch your own movies where I am going)
IPOD
Cell Phone
Slippers
Wet Wipes
Prescriptions
Listerine Strips for bad breath
Other Toiletries
Cards to play with my husband
Crochet project
A Little girl suitcase that is bright blue all covered with colorful butterflies (it has a pull up handle and wheels)

This is all I can remember off the top of my head.

imacvyvr
on 3/12/10 9:40 pm, edited 3/12/10 9:51 pm - Norfolk, VA
When I "was served" on Dec 10, 2009, that's when I started making little changes. Let me explained "was served". I had orientation on that day and everyone was told do not gain anymore weight from this point on.

Here's what I'm doing:

Cut back on sweet tea consumption; 2-32oz or more a day down to a coffee cup size made 
    w/Truvia or Splenda 3x/wk
Started taking Flinestones Complete once a day
Went from no breakfast to a protein shake every morning
On weekends I practice my pre-op liquid diet so I can be mentally prepared on March 24th to
    start
I started working out; some aerobics, some walking
I no longer drink with my meals
Cooking more at home instead of going out to fast food places

That's about it for me. If I were you, I would start purchasing samples of Unflavored protein. Your taste buds will change after surgery (so they say). Using the Unflavored will assist in getting your protein in in the beginning; just my personal opinion.

Good Luck!

OH, I'm seeing a therapist . My psych rew came back normal. I figured I need to get a jump on seeing someone, esp once I have the surgery and go back to work. I have co-workers who are sabotagers. Its all about being mentally ready.

Amy

sadie4me_ginger
on 3/14/10 5:16 am

I honestly haven't done anything to prepare.  I know this is bad but I am goign to wally world and buy some things for home and the hosital stay.  I don't have to start my preop diet until the 24th but I am going to start it tomorrow just so I can take off a few pounds.  All I know is that I am really scared and excited at the same time, anyone else feeling the same way?

Most Active
Recent Topics
Happy 3 year :)
Razzmuffin · 0 replies · 901 views
Starting Over
Lisa Y. · 5 replies · 1234 views
Hi all! 1½ yr update =)
Blue_Rattie · 1 replies · 1004 views