I got a date!

Shirley D.
on 3/10/05 12:19 pm - Greensboro, NC
I will have my long awaited surgery on April 4 2005 Dr David Newman is my surgeon from Central Carolina Surgery.I am excited and scared at the same time.(My sisternlaw passed away 5 days after surgery last year) I dont know alot of people and just have a few close friends.My family are like strangers except for my 2 children.I would appreciate any support and comfort from ya'll here thanks shirley
CaydensNanny
on 3/10/05 3:38 pm - Sweet Home, AL
Hi Shirley! You already have a great date! Seems April 4 will be a popular day round here. I understand exactly how you feel. My sister in law, had this surjury in October 2003, and did not come home until August 2004, she had alot of complications, but she also had some major hefty co morbidities to start with. I feel if she would have had this surjury years ago, and not waited until her health deterorated as much as it did, she would have had a better recovery. She went to 2 surgeon's, both turned her down because of her health problems and previous breathing problems, tracheostomy in the past, etc...she kept on until she found a surgeon out of town who would do it, and she stayed in ICU for the first 4 months, then went to rehab until she came now. Now she requires assitance with her care, physical therapy and has been hospitalized twice since January. Once for seizures (she has never had seizures before) and another for possible stroke. She is only 42 years old. We are all different and no two will have the same experience. I rely on my tremendous faith in God, in fact it has given me peace of mind, instead of fear. I have yet to feel fearful of it. When I started the process I made a promise to God if it wasn't meant to happen then I would not pursue it, I would not appeal if insurance didnt approve, and I would just have to find other ways to deal with my health. It has been amazing so far, everything has clicked like clockwork, no delays, nothing unexpected, so I take it as a sign from above, it is meant to be and actually it strengthens my faith, and lessens my fears. I plan to do everything my surgeon tells me to do, get in all my supplements everyday, all my fluids, and try to get all the protein he will allow me to have. I think it is important to do this, and I also know of some who died because they didnt follow their surgeon's instructions, they ate too soon afterward, had complications and died. Do what your surgeon and nutrionist tell you to do, walk to prevent the blood clots ( more prone to develop in the first 3 months after surjury), and you should do just fine. All surjury is risky, there are no guarantees but you can prevent alot of complications by doing what your surgeon tells you to do and call him if you feel you need too afterward. Join and participate in the local support groups, Im finding they are crucial to learn more and share fears, joys and triumphs with those who know just where you have been themselves. Feel free to email me at any time!.. Best of Luck! Sandy
Susan S.
on 3/11/05 7:09 am - Scottsdale, AZ
You may want to check out www.valleynutrition.com. They have sample packets of protein drinks that you can buy for $1.50 with free shipping. That way you can check out some to see if you like them without spending a ton of $$$$. Susan
CaydensNanny
on 3/12/05 3:33 am - Sweet Home, AL
Thanks for the tip Susan I went to our local health food store and found samples of these yesterday: KetoJuice Smoothie: Orange Pineapple flavor 23 g protein 0 sugar 1 sugar alcohol 0 fat 140 sodium 170 potassium 2 carbs manufactured by Natural Organics Labratories naturesplus.com (add the www.) Biochem Ultimate Lo Carb Whey Powder: Chocolate Fudge Flavor & Caramel Swirl Flavors 20 g protein 4 carbs 0 fat 55 sodium 230 potassium 4 g sugar I probably wont use this for awhile post op because it does have 4 g sugar in it. Some can tolerate up to 6 and 8 grams of sugar but I dont want to chance it, to start with.. biochem-fitness.com (add www.) I also found Twinlabs chewable calcium citrate wafers, and Bluebonnets LIQUID calcium citrate. Im trying the wafers first. Some nutrtionist have said Viactv calcium chews are okay. I havent seen my nutritionist yet, my surgeon requires calcium citrate and not calcium carbonate, and everything else Ive found has been calcium carbonate.
faithpsan
on 3/11/05 8:20 am - Mission, KS
Shirley , Shirley , Shirley ...... We are sisters by date of rebirth...lol.... Congrats... God bless. Patricia
Shirley D.
on 3/12/05 8:20 pm - Greensboro, NC
Hey sister!! I will thinking about you to .you take care and Hope everything goes well with you. God bless you! shirley
Angela E.
on 3/12/05 2:45 am - Staten Island, NY
SHIRLEY,WOW THAT'S MY DATE TOO.I'LL BE THINKING ABOUT YOU ON THAT DAY. GOD WILL BE WITH ALL OF US THAT ARE GETTING THE SURGERY ON THAT DAY. HAVE FAITH IN THE LORD AND ALL WILL BE FINE. I LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING THOSE BEFORE/AFTER PICTURES........ GOOD LUCK HONEY SEE YA SOON..... ANGIE
ng
on 3/12/05 6:00 pm - Southwest, LA
Sorry about your sister in law. I also will be having surgery on April 4, and my family is my husband and my children. I have a brother and sister, but I would hate to have them around, I would have to have someone watch them. They would be writing a will for me and taking my hand while I am out & forging my name........LOL ... or something similar.
Shirley D.
on 3/12/05 8:40 pm - Greensboro, NC
hey congratulation on your surgery date.my boyfriend and and my 2 children will be there for me my children are 21 and 29.I have 2 brothers and 1 sister.I do have a sister that passed away from being obese from complication of diabetes.God bless her soul..She was in a nursing home at a very early age also.like 42.Thats 2 young to be in one of those.it seems that when our mother passed away in 81 we all went our seperate ways.We just grown apart.We dont even get together any time of the year.I am not telling them any thing about me till its all over and done with.Or if tell them i really doubt it.They may want to put a hex on me or something...So I am very grateful that I found this group.Its awful that families cant get along.I hate to hear that about your family to.If your like me you ,you probably are the better than they are to begin with!!Well hun I hope everything goes well with your surgery and i will keep you in my prayers as well.please be sure to write me when you feel like it.i look forward to hearing from you and others as well .... [email protected]
Most Active
Recent Topics
Is anyone stil posting ?
Hambear · 1 replies · 658 views
Ghost Town
sanguinarythorn · 3 replies · 868 views
Five years!
sanguinarythorn · 0 replies · 750 views
almost five years
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 716 views