What are your worst fears about surgery?

shadow
on 2/17/05 5:49 am - Canada
Hi, I think you are doing the right thing by giving it over to God's hands.....that is the best any of us can do....when we are dealing with fear. You are already thinking about the positives and the things you can do for yourself, and that is really great. You are on the high road to a new you. Best wish with your surgery....keep in touch. Cheri
Just J.
on 2/20/05 3:22 am - Manning, SC
My biggest fear is not death, or even complications from surgery per se, my biggest fear is complications from my type 1 diabetes. My PCP has told me that he feels that this surgery will do more for my diabetes than any amount of insulin he could prescribe, but I was in the hospital in December (right before Christmas) sicker than I've ever been and on the verge of death from what I understand. (That's why my surgery date was postponed from Feb 2 to April 13.) There haven't been any studies on type 1 diabetes and WLS (I've contacted NIH, the CDC, Duke, Web MD, etc. and nobody knows of any. I've also been in touch with several type 1's through this board and some have had really bad complications afterwards and others have had none at all. The problem those with complications have had is diabetic ketoacidosis, which is what I was hospitalized for in December. I spent a week in ICU. I am self pay for this surgery and really can't afford any additional days in the hospital, much less in ICU. You see, type 1s will never come off insulin, as our bodies make absolutely none on their own and we NEED a certain amount of carbs for our insulin to have something to work on. I've changed endos to one in the city that my surgeon operates in, but none of the endos in our state capital, go to this particular hospital. My surgeon and my endo are friends and have assured me they will be in telephone contact if any problems arise, but I still worry. I am praying and trusting God that he will get me through this without any complications, and ask for your prayers as well.
shadow
on 2/20/05 5:13 am - Canada
Hello Just Jeannie, It sure sounds like you have been through a lot....getting good medical support is very important for you, you cannot be without it. Loosing weight is going to help you with your Diabetes for sure, but more important then that is getting yourself on a very controlled diet. The high protein, low surgar diet after weightloss is going to be extremely important in getting control over your diabetes. WLS will help your health, but you need strong support. If you have a dietician that can help all the better for you.....Keep your support close and take advantage of all the help you can get......Trusting God is a great big part of the whole process.....for sure......and I will be praying for you that your journey will be a success and a testimony to all those who follow in your footsteps.
Laura W.
on 2/23/05 9:37 pm - Louisville, KY
My worst fear is having complications from the surgery. I am having to pay for this surgery myself and if there are any problems I'll have to pay for them a well. The things I am looking forward to after some weight loss are: getting a family portrait made, becomming social again, getting my lap back so my grandson can sit there, being comfortable in my clothes, not shopping in the plus size section, feeling sexy, not taking medication for weight related health problems, going to a church picnic and seeing people I went to grade school with, being able to go on a helicopter excursion in Alaska this June, not being tired all of the time and most of all just being happy.
shadow
on 3/1/05 1:21 pm - Canada
WOW....I am so glad I asked the question....you really have a wonderful life planned after your surgery. Best wishes on your up-coming surgery. Cheri
Michelle H.
on 2/23/05 11:00 pm - Hughesville, PA
Hi, my worst fears are complications, that i will throw up alot or have the runs alot.( i absolutely hate to throw up and my body knows this, i only had morning sickness once with 2 children). and that i will have problems adjusting to eating. i was afraid of having a ton of loose skin but at support group the other day one of the post-ops told us she uses a gazelle(tony little) for her exercise and she has hardly any loose skin. she has a little tummy roll but no skin hanging from her arms. she showed us. i am laying away one of those at walmart immediately. they are like $97 but well worth it. she does exercise a half hour in the morning and a half hour at nite, but does not exercise at all on weekends. if it helps me not to have loose skin i know i can do that. and she said it's not real hard and is like skating. which i used to love to do but can't anymore, this big body just won't cooperate!!! anyway, i have prayed alot and decided that god knows what he is doing. so on surgery day i will be in his loving hands. good luck to all Michelle
shadow
on 3/1/05 1:30 pm - Canada
Take a deep breath Michelle.....you most certainly have all the same worries as the rest of us....but just take one day at a time....let the days ahead take care of themselves as they come.....think about all the rewards of the surgery.....ease your fears with all the good things that will come from your weight loss and don't spend your energy on things that may or maynot happen.....We do have to put ourselves into the Loving Hands of God.....that is so true....but it is also important that we reach out for Gods comfort too.....take one day at a time....don't let what could happen.... eat at you....live in this moment....where your life is about to be transformed and you are going to begin a wonderful brand new life for yourself. You can do this, and you will get through this, and you will be happy. Cheri
ednacoleman
on 3/2/05 11:40 pm - Dandridge, TN
My worst fears are complications from reversal of my "nissans surgery acid Reflux' and then the RNY.. This will be the top of my stomach and then the bi-pass. My age is 53 and thats scary in its self.. I pray that i will not throw up in all this...I will take God with me He is my confort in the times of storms., He makes the final decision whether I live or die .. When I think negatively I have to breathe, and tell my self its in Gods hands.....
shadow
on 3/3/05 2:16 am - Canada
Hi I am 42 and not much behind you in age.....I think with us older ones they take extra special care to make sure we fit all the perimeters of a safer surgery.....Just keep believing that you will get through this just like every other difficult thing that has come your way in this life....and you will handle any problem..... if it should arise.....one step at a time....even the people I have met that have had complications....they have said they would do it all over again in a heart beat complications and all. You will make it through this and in a year you will be telling us all how happy your life has become...... because of all the wonderful changes. Congratulations on your upcoming surgery.....keep in touch. Cheri
mama14307
on 3/3/05 1:55 am - FL
WHAT I AM SCARED ABOUT IS YES COMPLICATIONS BUT WE HAVE TO ALL HAVE FAITH IN GOD AND TRUST THAT HE WILL KEEP US SAFE. I KNOW THAT EVEN THOUGH I SAY IT IM STILLL NERVOUS BUT THAT IS NORMAL. THAT ISNT ONLY IT WE HAVE TO BE MENTSLLY PREPARED THAT MOST OFUS PICK UP AND DRIVE THRU AND EAT EHASTEVER ATLEAST I KNOW I DO AND NOW EVERYTHIGNHAS TO BE BY OUNCES ADN PLANNED AND THOUGHT AHEAD .A DIFFERENT WAY OF LIVING I THINK ATLEAST IN THE BEGINNING CAUSE YOU DONT WANT TO SPEND YOUR TIME THROWING UP ALL THE TIME. I HAVE FAITH THAT I WILLBE FINE ... GOD BYMY SIDE ALWAYS.... TAKE CARE , JENNIFER
Most Active
Recent Topics
Is anyone stil posting ?
Hambear · 1 replies · 670 views
Ghost Town
sanguinarythorn · 3 replies · 879 views
Five years!
sanguinarythorn · 0 replies · 760 views
almost five years
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 726 views